White labs 300 didn't attentuate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brnooewb

Reaction score
Hello,
So my latest Hefe batch hasn't gone down below 1.018. OG was 1.064. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days now set at 68 for the first 48 hours then 70 for the last 8 days. The only thing I can think of is maybe my mash was a little higher than I thought at 156-158 for about 15 min after a 1 hour mash at 154. Could this have caused the stall or low attentuation?
This is also the first time for me using my new fermentation fridge.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mash at 158 moves along pretty quickly. If you didn't test for conversion there is no way to tell. Did you check your thermometer?

Mash temp seems quite high for a Hefeweizen, might account for the high FG.

Is this a recipe that you've made before and have a prior FG? Perhaps your hydrometer is not calibrated? Check that it is reading 1.000 in room temp water. How does it taste? If it tastes good and the gravity has stabilized then bottle/keg and enjoy.

Yeah this is a recipe I have done numerous times and normally attentuate a down to about 1.013. I did my first mash at 154 for an hour, tested for conversion and thought I didn't convert but I was partially through heating my water to mash out at 170 when I tested for conversion so I stopped heating my mash and left it at 158ish for another half hour. My pre boil gravity was high at 85% effeceiency which was nice.
And yes I tested my hydrometer and it's reding correctly. I'm guessing with the second mash being kind of high I must have left a lot of unfermentables It tastes good, nice body good flavor. Maybe just a touch in the sweet side. I think I'll just keg it and call it good.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back