Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taraclarkesmith

Reaction score
I have a white film on the top of my mint wine. I have read it may be dead yeast but am unsure. I want to make sure it's not bad before I try it. It doesn't smell bad... Please help! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 15176702020083989683455669613203.jpg
    15176702020083989683455669613203.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
Doesn't look too good to me. Dead yeast will sink to the bottom of the container as the "lees". A film like that on your surface of the wine looks like some sort of mold. If possible you should try to remove it (use a straw?), add sufficient sulfites to protect the wine, and displace oxygen in the headspace of the container.

I have a white film on the top of my mint wine. I have read it may be dead yeast but am unsure. I want to make sure it's not bad before I try it. It doesn't smell bad... Please help! Thank you!!

I age beers to "sour" them. After sitting untouched for a couple months, you will get this kind of white growth on top. In the case of sour beers, it's desirable, an indication the beer is indeed souring. In your wine, it's probably not as desirable...

Back