Which yeast should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an ale this weekend. It's going to be about 25% wheat or so, and I plan on adding raspberries to the secondary. I can't decide if I should use White Labs European Ale #WLP011 or Belgain Wit II #WLP400. Anyone have any advice, or ever tried something similar with either one before?

I didn't like the WLP011 European Ale yeast - used it twice and both times had a distinct off smell/flavor. It wasn't unpleasant, but it didn't exactly contribute anything to the beer. Both brews were pretty clean amber ales, and I think I narrowed the flavor down to the yeast because one batch was a small extract batch and one was a large all grain with completely different equipment. If I had to describe it, it was a papery smell and a slightly oxidized flavor. I'm almost certain oxidation was not an issue with these brews, and I haven't had a similar flavor in any other beer.

I REALLY liked the WLP002 English Ale yeast, though - clean, very flocculant. It almost acts like a fining agent because it so readily drops out of suspension. No problems with attenuation.

I wanted to use the WLP410 Belgian Wit II in my White Christmas brew, but all I could find was WLP400 Belgian Wit. I'm enjoying that one quite a bit at the moment. It's just now coming into its prime, and the flavors are really starting to blend well. I think the fruity esters produced by the Wit yeast will compliment a fruit addition, so WLP400 or WLP410 is my vote.

Cool. I'd started out thinking I'd go with the European, but over the last week I've changed my recipe and thought I'd go with the Wit II. But then I decided I didn't want to add coriander or bitter orange peel, so I was mildly concerned about using the yeast without those two ingredients, but I've been leaning towards that one. Thanks for the info; I'll definitely be going with the Wit II now!

Back