Which yeast is cleaner Notty or US-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Given the same parameters which yeast finishes cleaner with less esters Notty or S-04?

To be clear I know both are English yeasts I’m not looking for ultra-clean 1056 kinda thing just an idea of which of the two are cleaner while still retaining that English taste.

Bonus points if you know the yeasts origins? And liquid yeast equivalents?

I’ve read here Whitbred, Whitbred-Dry, Fuller’s, UK chosen from multistrain (what ever that means).

I've read WLP002, WLP005, WLP007.

I've read WLP039 is the exact same strain as Notty. I've read they are not the same strain at all people just confuse the names. Lots of conflicting info out on the interwebs, including here.

Anyway any info welcome.

Thanks

Rudeboy

Notty yeast is to the homebrewing world, what nitro glycerin is to the demolition industry. Gets the job done fine, but can be a bit unwieldy and aggressive in its fermentation profile.

I use -04 almost exclusively, and at 65 degrees, always get a nice “thorough” attenuation with no detectable esters.

A long (90 minutes) low (149 degrees) mash rest will go a long way toward giving a very clean, crisp beer that has little to no residual unfermentables (that may be mistaken for esters).

In my experience, both S-04 and Nottingham ferment very quickly and floculate very well. S-04 just seems to leave a yeasty taste, which is fine in some beers. Notty always seems to produce a very clean final product if fermented below about 62 F, so is my preference for most lighter bodied beers.

For quite some time I used Notty exclusively for my IPAs and Pales, but after the troubled times Danstar had with packaging I use US-05. Been thinking about switching back. US-05 does a great job as far as attenuation and produces clean beer, but it doesn't floculate as quickly and doesn't leave the dense cake that Notty and S-04 do.

All in all, these 3 get my top ratings for dry yeasts.

Bob

BierMuncher said:
Notty yeast is to the homebrewing world, what nitro glycerin is to the demolition industry. Gets the job done fine, but can be a bit unwieldy and aggressive in its fermentation profile.

I use -04 almost exclusively, and at 65 degrees, always get a nice “thorough” attenuation with no detectable esters.

A long (90 minutes) low (149 degrees) mash rest will go a long way toward giving a very clean, crisp beer that has little to no residual unfermentables (that may be mistaken for esters).

+10000
It depends on the type of beer. If its a ESB I'll mash low and use 04. If its a brown porter I'll mash at 153 and use Notty.

It all boils down to personal preference. Both yeasts can produce clean, flavorful, and clear beers.

Notty yeast is to the homebrewing world, what nitro glycerin is to the demolition industry. Gets the job done fine, but can be a bit unwieldy and aggressive in its fermentation profile. ).

What do you mean unwieldy and aggressive?

I have used both, but not enough on the same beers close enough in time to form a definite opinion. I think Notty ferments quicker and attenuates much more but leaves more intermediate compounds behind. Almost like it flocs out before it has cleaned its' self up. Is this what you mean by unwieldy and aggressive?

I've had problems with S-04 stalling out at 1.020 on more than one occasion but I thought it was cleaner. But everyone talks about how clean Notty is around here so I was questioning myself.

Anywho thanks for the responses.

Rudeboy

Notty yeast is to the homebrewing world, what nitro glycerin is to the demolition industry. Gets the job done fine, but can be a bit unwieldy and aggressive in its fermentation profile. ).

What do you mean unwieldy and aggressive?

I have used both, but not enough on the same beers close enough in time to form a definite opinion. I think Notty ferments quicker and attenuates much more but leaves more intermediate compounds behind. Almost like it flocs out before it has cleaned its' self up. Is this what you mean by unwieldy and aggressive?

I've had problems with S-04 stalling out at 1.020 on more than one occasion but I thought it was cleaner. I guess you're right if I plan on fermenting with S-04 I'll drop my mash temp. But everyone talks about how clean Notty is around here so I was questioning myself.

Anywho thanks for the responses.

Rudeboy

Back