Which Triple Scale Hydrometer Do you Like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In market for a new triple-scale hydrometer.
Anyone recommend one over the others?
And are there jars that use less wort/beer to measure?
Cheers!

I get my hydrometers from Williams Brewing. I have one (actually have spare also) that reads up to 1.100 in ,001 increments and another that reads to 1.020 for finished gravity.

I just got a set of hydrometers from Brady Instruments that I'm pretty stoked about. I got their precision brewing hydrometers (a set of three for OG, high gravity OG, and FG), but they also have a triple scale. I had a similar quest for a test jar that would minimize my losses. I've started using a 100ml graduated cylinder. This is the specific one that I use, but you can probably find a cheaper one somewhere else. I've been really happy with that setup.

I like the ones with larger print so they are easier to read. I had one that I broke, but replaced with the Brewing America one listed above. I love the BA hydros and may get a spare in case I break my current one. One in particular (but I don't see it on their sight) I thought had a built in thermometer and temp correction gauge. I could have sworn I saw Brian from Short Circuited Brewers using one on a older review. Brewing America also has some other cool gear as well like their coffee infusers and those muffin top glasses look cool tool.

I've looked at the Herculometer, but some of the earlier reviews suggested they weren't accurate. I may still get one for a spare. I like the idea they are unbreakable.

I'm saving up for this one:
s-l400-2.jpg

I recently got one of these "virtually unshatterable" mid-scale hydrometers after breaking two conventional hydrometers in the span of a couple of months. A lot easier on my old eyes too.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/herculometer-precision-hydrometer-1000-1070

Nice. Being unbreakable, you can sanitize and drop it right in without needing to draw a sample. Might have to get one. Especially for 1-gallon batches when I hate to waste 4-5 oz each time.

well i wish i could say i like 'plain form' single scale, because they only have what i care about....unfortunately, they also have the singles and 10's separate. :(

fwiw, I still use the first and only triple scale hydro I bought back in 2004. It's glass.

I am on my 4th sample tube, however, with the last 3 being polycarbonate. Turns out polycarbonate shatters quite readily when dropped, just in larger pieces than glass...

Cheers!

I just got a set of hydrometers from Brady Instruments that I'm pretty stoked about. I got their precision brewing hydrometers (a set of three for OG, high gravity OG, and FG), but they also have a triple scale. I had a similar quest for a test jar that would minimize my losses. I've started using a 100ml graduated cylinder. This is the specific one that I use, but you can probably find a cheaper one somewhere else. I've been really happy with that setup.
Thanks!

I have been using Brady Instruments precision hydrometers for 3 years and they are my favorite of all that I have used by far. They are handmade in the US, and the glass it thick, you can feel it. I also use a cylinder from Brewing America.

I bought this Chefast set because it had the skinny glass beaker for small sampling. It was 16.00 on amazon and well worth it.
20220413_093514.jpg

I have been using Brady Instruments precision hydrometers for 3 years and they are my favorite of all that I have used by far. They are handmade in the US, and the glass it thick, you can feel it. I also use a cylinder from Brewing America.

Wow those hydrometers are very nice! I may have to grab a set.

Back