Which Session IPA do you like better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
I just had Ballast Point Even Keel (3.8%) and Founder's All Day IPA (4.7%) and they have similar flavor profiles. I prefer Even Keel - can't believe the hop flavor and body they get with 3.8% ABV. I appreciate that both are actually under 5% ABV...not a fan of 6% "session" IPAs.

If you're tried both of these, which do you prefer? If you have not tried both, which readily available Session IPA is your favorite?

I've not tried either but I do enjoy Firestone Walker's Easy Jack, Lagunitas Down Low, and Deschutes Hopslice.

I'm not a fan of either one. About the only commercial session IPA I've liked has been Oscar Blues Pinner, but it hasn't been available around here for a while, other than some fruit flavored variant.

I'm not a fan of either one. About the only commercial session IPA I've liked has been Oscar Blues Pinner, but it hasn't been available around here for a while, other than some fruit flavored variant.

Pinner is my go-to. Good stuff and clocks in right around 5.0%.

I haven't had Even Keel, but I did try an All Day IPA once and didn't think much of it. Flavor was fine, there just wasn't much of it.

Lagunitas' 12th Of Never.

Yes, that's just a "pale ale", same as all these others. IMHO, no such thing as a "session IPA".

Bear Republic has one called Pace Car Racer (like a slower version of Racer 5) and it is awesome - I definitely prefer it to All Day and Even Keel (both of which are very good.)

New Glarus's Moon Man is 5% ABV, so I guess it is technically a session IPA, right?

Terrapin brewing in Athens GA has a 'Recreation Ale' at 4.7 that I like - and it's local. I tend to only see that and Founders in stores. Both are good in my book.

I have not found a session IPA that I've liked. All of the examples I've tried taste like hoppy water with zero bitterness. The only one that is at least bearable is the Terrapin version.

Pinner by ob or meltaway by Newburyport are the only two I like so far. Not a fan of all day

All day IPA is my everyday choice
Super session #2 is the best when I can get it
Over easy from otter creek is another readily available excellent choice

I like Pinner and Go to, never had Even Keel as Ballast Point just came to IN, but All Day is my preferred session due to availability, price, and flavor. I like my sessions to come in cans for convenience, and the 15 packs are everywhere here.

I have not found a session IPA that I've liked. All of the examples I've tried taste like hoppy water with zero bitterness. The only one that is at least bearable is the Terrapin version.

I'm with you. All Day IPA is not bad, but I'm not a fan of the flavor profile of most any of these sessionables.

However, if you want some bitterness, see if you can get your hands on 'No Problems' by Perrin Brewing in MI. They're part of Oskar Blues now; this is the sessionable version of their '98 Problems IPA', and has a very good bitterness level, as well as bringing out the tropical fruity aromas of the hops. It's still weak, but that's what you get for under-5% ABV drinks. Me, I'd rather have a nice Scottish 70~ ale, and some fresh hop cones to crush and smell. :fro:

Rodeo Rye Pale Ale by Payette in Boise, ID is the best low abv pale ale I've had.

Not marketed as a session but it's 4% and delicious

I've had them both. All Day is my daily drinker. Even Keel is good and so is Mango Even Keel (for a change). I love Ballast Point. I've had habanero Sculpin in the tasting room last time I was in San Diego. Awesome beer! I've tried to develop a session IPA for a house beer. Brewed 3.2% several times but I lost body. Tried to get it back by using English malts and/or German. I keep trying to duplicate the grassy from Founder's. Not enough luck yet. Gonna keep working on it but I may have use more malt and raise abv. Any ideas about the DH on Founder's?

I find All Day to be insipid, I'll not bother getting that again. Even Keel has far more flavour. 21st Amendment's Down to Earth is another favourite, but not quite up to Even Keel in flavour. I'm glad that at last the brewers are producing sub-4% beers with some flavour and good 'mouth'.

I agree - 21st Amendment's Down to Earth is my favorite session ale out of them all. However, I do also enjoy Pinner, All Day and Terrapin's Recreation. Here in New Jersey, Carton Brewing has a good session ale - Boat Beer - 4.20%, but billed as more of an American Pale ale, not IPA.

Even Keel is good, only had it once though. I have had alot more founders so between the two I would say founders. I must say though my favorite session IPA right now is Stone Go To. Cheers!

I like both a lot. all day probably my favorite for being lighter and cheaper around here ;)

singlecut 18-watt is my favorite right now, tho I think it's 5%

Pizza Port Ponto was my first, but don't see it often here in Japan. Easy Jack and All Day are around a bit though and I love them as well.

I think it very much depends on what you're looking for flavor and aroma wise, since everyone's tastes and expectations are different.

My personal favorite is Ipswitch SIPA. Would never have tried it on my own, but I got some as a gift and was surprised by how good it was. I liked it better than either All Day IPA or Even Keel. Of course it's not available in my area...

Fort George Big Guns, hands down, is my favorite "session IPA" right now. I love the hops profile - Dry tropical fruit, piney, dank. Someone from Beer Connoisseur suggested Nugget, Meridian, and Mosaic. It's very similar to the 21st Amendment pales in hops and flavor. It's is 4.2% ABV, super dry, and slightly bitter. I'd say more bitter than most pale ales I've had, so qualifying it as a Session IPA works, IMHO. I've been critical of the "pseudo-category" for sometime, but somehow, this beer holds the hops flavor UP like very few ipas can. I live in Portland, OR, so freshness is not hard to come by with Astoria's Fort George beers. I should try aging a few...

The one I'm drinking right now was canned on 11/10/16, which makes it only about a month old. Still huge hops flavor and aroma. I still pucker after minutes of sipping.

Would love to hear from others who love/tried to emulate Big Guns as a homebrew. Oh, I've read Fort George's house yeast is Wyeast's NW Ale, so that may help....

Back