Which plastic are auto-siphons made of, and how am I destroying them? (Bottling wands also)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piojo

Reaction score
I've damaged an auto-siphon (the inner racking cane part) and two bottling wands. They've all developed a milky white coating on the inside (chalky looking) within a few days after using them. The auto-siphon also crazed noticeably. I sanitized them in iodophor (not homebrewing iodophor but povidone-iodine, correctly diluted and pH adjusted). I left them in the sun to dry, and that might have been my mistake, but I think it was the iodine. I used starsan a few times in the past without ill effect, but only sprayed it the rinsed, never soaked it or let it dry on.
IMG_20181215_162416.jpg IMG_20181215_162357.jpg

The main clear plastics I know are polycarbonate, acrylic, and polystyrene, but another thread says it's probably PC. PC doesn't have so much UV resistance, but it's supposed to only have minor damage when exposed to tincture of iodine (no damage when exposed to aqueous iodine), and dilute iodophor is nearly a million times weaker than tincture. The crazed tube was also exposed to isopropyl alcohol, but PC is supposed to be resistant to that.

Are these plastics known for suiciding upon contact with chemicals? Would peracetic acid or starsan work better? (Those two are around the same price for me.)

I can only say that I never had issues with star can or vwp with multiple (auto) siphons. I soaked them for hours, nothing bad happened to tubing or plastic parts. I guess it must be the iodophor, but I never used it myself.

Back