Which of these mini fridges should I choose for my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok so I just got my first 2 kegs in and I'm excited to keg but need to build a kegerator. Looking to go the mini fridge route rather then the keezer (also looking to fit both of my pin locks in there). I don't really mind having to put extra work into it (modifying the freezer section, etc). I've been scouring craigslist list and found some possible options:

Sanyo 4912: $125. I know this is the "holy grail" of mini fridges for kegerators but it's also the most expensive out of the options I found and is a little further away than I want to drive.

6.0 cf GE (not sure what model but does it matter for 6 cf?): $100. Could possibly talk the price down and is one of the closer locations.

GE Model WMR04GAVBB: $65. It's only 4.5 cf but I've seen instructions on how to convert it. Dealing with the freezer will be a pain but w/e. Also the furthest away.

GE Model WMR04GAZABB: $100. I couldn't find anything on this model and would likely be too small but the posting is in my town so I might as well check it out if the other ones don't work out. Anyone know anything about this model?

Any thoughts here? I'm actually leaving for vacation tomorrow so was trying to purchase a fridge tonight. Should I just bite the bullet and pay up for the Sanyo?

I purchased my Sanyo for $50 off of Craiglist and it was only a 30 minute drive from where I live. So it was well worth it. The build is extremely easy and it has been done a hundred times on this site so I did not need to worry about where the refrigerant lines were (although I did the cornstarch test anyway). I do not have any experience with the other fridges but I would definitely recommend the Sanyo if you can swing it. Here is my build if you are interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-sanyo-kegerator-build-201345/

Here is a thread on converting a WMR04GAVBB.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-g-e-wmr04gavbb-fridge-kegerator-142262/

I have a GE wmr04bapbb that I converted, so if you ever see this model, know that it can be done.

Interesting.. I've stumbled across a GE GMR04HASCS for $80 and it seems to have about the same specs as yours:

GMR04HASCS: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GMR04HASCS

wmr04bapbb: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=WMR04BAPBB

Do you think it would work? Does yours fit 2 corny's? Did you have to make any crazy modifications (other than bending the freezer?). I guess the only way to find out is to see if it's wide enough for my 2 kegs by bringing them along.

I can fit two ball locks or one ball lock and one pin lock. I can't fit two pin locks since those are a little fatter. My 5# co2 tank sits on the little hump, which I haven't secured to anything yet.

I've been meaning to post my conversion but just haven't gotten around to it. It really wasn't very difficult. I had to bend the freezer down, cut out the inside shelves, remove the inside door shelf, and move the thermostat. That may seem like a lot, but it really wasn't.

Hey cincybrewer, wanted to check with you as I am I thinking of starting to keg (I inherited two ball-locks), and happen to have the ge wmr04bapbb fridge that you said you've converted. You said you had to bend down the freezer, move the thermostat, and cut some of the shelves-which shelves are you referring to?. I wanted to just get a few more details/recommendations from you before I start on what worked or didn't work. Did you do end up doing a tower or front faucets?

For starters, it was a lot easier than it sounds and I'm not the handiest person in the world. I did the tower. IMO it's definitely the way to go. In regards to the tower, the only thing I'd recommend is to go with a metal hole saw. I had a regular one designed for wood and it didn't do a good job at all. I ended up just drilling a crap ton of holes in a circle to make the hole.

When you bend the freezer down, just make sure the fridge has been sitting off and unplugged for a while so the freezer is nice and warm so it's loose. Go slow. I had to bend the corner of the freezer so I could get it out of the shelf that it sits in. As you start you'll see what I'm talking about.

The fridge has plastic molding that the shelves sit in. If you don't cut these out the kegs probably won't fit. I used a razor but if you have a dremel that would probably work better. I think I might have pics. I'll take a look and post if I find them.

Let me know if you have questions. Just get into it as it isn't as hard as it seems. Just be careful bending the freezer and be careful not to cut into cooling lines.

I actually converted my minifridge (GE WMR04BAPBB) recently based on cincybrewer's report that it could be done. I have to say that it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Once you get started and get over the fact that you will never be able to put the fridge back to how it was, it didn't go too bad. I just finished writing up my build process here if you are interested: http://www.randmonline.com/2011/07/kegerator-build/

Nice writeup! I guess I don't have to do mine now. Couple things:

1) good idea to strap the co2 in. Mine has just been sitting on the ledge when I have two kegs in there (the kegs hold it up), but I've been meaning to think of a way to strap it on.

2) I duck taped my thermostat as well and it didn't last long at all. Probably due to the condensation and the temperature, but now the thermostat is just hanging there. Whenever I get some time I'll probably think of something better to do with it.

I can get the GE discussed here for 40$ 25min away or a Sanyo without a freezer for 65$ 1hr 45min away just go with the GE or take the drive for the Sanyo?

If you don't mind the drive I hear the Sanyo is the easiest to convert and would recommend that. I think I ended up getting the last GE model mentioned in my original post and it worked out too.

If you don't mind working a little extra and don't feel like driving I'm sure the GE would do.

Latest posts

Back