Old mini-fridge - punctured cooling line - Can I still used the compressor for something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepindavid

Reaction score
Hey,

I got a used mini-fridge for free that I wanted to convert to a kegerator. A GE model with the freezer at the top. Following a few threads I found online, I tried bending the freezer part (that had the cooling lines in it). I was doing slowly, but at some point, it happened: it started hissing (so I punctured the line, and I guess I got a bit of freon poisoning (just kidding).

So I was wondering: can I still somehow use the remaining compressor and condenser coils (they're hidden in the unit...), connect a new evaporator coil and try to build a fermentation chamber with it? If yes, how complex/dangerous is it?

Thanks!

You can use a condenser coil but I'd check if led soldering wasn't used there. I doubt if you can use compressor because Freon filling also includes compressor lubricant and compressor will fail quickly without it. Probably you can use a motor from it.
However it's reparable. You just need to fix (solder) puncture and re-fill it with Freon.

Well...the lubricant sits in a sump and really is too heavy to evaporate through some tiny leak. The biggest problems are after soldering in a new condensor one must replace the receiver drier, then totally evacuate the system, making sure it holds a vacuum, then refill the system to the appropriate gauge pressures.

That entails quite a bit of gear - soldering, vac pump, manifold and gauge set, etc. The cost of the gear alone approaches replacement cost...

Cheers!

Back