Which is correct??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
I'm currently putting together a recipe for an Imperial Stout. It is PM recipe (to follow). I have the grain/extract bill down, and have decided on my hop schedule.

The issue is this - I'm getting different IBU ratings from different software. BTP is giving me 100+ IBUs while BeerSmith is giving me 45ish for the same recipe. Here's the long and short of it.

8 lbs. Light DME

.75 lb. Pale Malt
1.5 lbs. Choc Malt
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
.60 lb. Crystal 120L
.75 lb. Special B
.15 lb. Black Patent

This will be a single infusion batch sparge @ 154F

2.00 gallon Bev. cooler MLT w/ no manifold (use grain socks), 5.5 qt. dough in.

Boil size is 3.00 gallons. Batch is 5.00 gallons.

I'm pretty sure that the Beersmith calc is wrong. I just started working with it after 6 months of BTP, which has frustrated me due to the mash schedule. I've had no issues with my BTP hop calcs.

I think I'm missing something in Beersmith. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I think the most IBU's you can get into 5g of wort is about 100. As you are doing 3g i'm guessing beersmith is likely correct. Hopefully someone with more experience with really hoppy beers will chime in. There are different formulas for calculating IBU's but they are not that far off from each other.

GT

I got it. I should have looked at the Beersmith FAQ first. Has to do with the type of calculation. I'm not too worried about the "actual" IBUs at this point. I just don't want to overhop my beers because I'm used to one calc method and am now using another.

Problem fixed.

Thanks, all.

Cheers,

Yeah, my bad.

2.00 Chinook - 60 min
1.00 Cascade - 10 min

I did get it figured out. It had to do with the formula that the program was using. I switched it to Rager and it works out. I know the IBUs are probably high, but it's how I'm used to rolling, so I can still set up my hop schedule correctly.

Back