which hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
I'm still learning here and still extract brewing. I've got 3 batches worth of extract coming. (golden light). I made a mostly mosaic batch thats carbing. Its ok almost too much tangerine, got a citra in secondary, and a cascade citra in primary. So I thought I'd see what ideas you experts have with what I have here.
2oz Mosaic
2 simcoe
2 cascade
1 citra
2 falconers flight
2 amarillo
yeast on hand 05 ,04, s-33 and a 1388 I'm planning on making a BOMM with The amarillo and falconer are new to me and will arrive with the extract.
Thanks for any ideas I get
Kurt

For 5 gallons...
Not knowing your grain bill, but assuming it's along the lines of an IPA or APA, I would do:
1 oz Simcoe at 60
1 oz Cascade at 45
1 oz Falconer's at 15
1 oz Falconer's at 5

Maybe 1 oz dry hop of cascade.

No grain extract briess golden lme. I just dont want to make a crap batch. I went to heavy on mosaic in a batch. too much tangerine but live and learn. never used falconers or amarillo so not sure what I'm dealing with.

No grain extract briess golden lme. I just dont want to make a crap batch. I went to heavy on mosaic in a batch. too much tangerine but live and learn. never used falconers or amarillo so not sure what I'm dealing with.

Amarillo is grapefruity- in combination with simcoe it is almost like grapefruit juice when the beer is young. I happen to love that- but it can be dialed down to be a piney citrus by not overdoing the amount.

Falconer's Flight (is it 7Cs or regular Falconer's Flight?) is a combination of hops.

Recognizing that this is pretty much a personal preference question and you will probably get a hundred different answers, I vote for some combo of simcoe/amarillo, simcoe/cascade, or all three loaded up on the late additions and dry hop. Simcoe is probably my favorite hop overall so I never waste it for bittering. In particular I like those combos, but then I like pine and grapefruit. I also get a little orange sometimes from amarillo. As mentioned Falconer's flight is already a combo so I would probably do that as a separate beer.

I made clone of Maine Beer Co Lunch IPA. It looks like you have the hops for it.
Its really good brew.

Back