Which grain would you get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
Okay gents and some ladies.

Which grain would you get? I want to get a good grain to build me some brew. I cannot decide on Caramunich or Crystal Malt 60L.

Which one would you get?

Both are specialty grains. What are you going to use as a base grain? Pale or Pils?

What do you want to make?

Well, I guess it depends on your goal but I think they are similar. My thought is that you'll get more maltiness with caramunich and maybe a bit more sweetness with the crystal. I think the crystal might be more versatile, if you're thinking a large quantity order, as it's probably in more recipes.

But if you're into reds, ambers, Octoberfests, I'd say the caramunich.

I have both Maris Otter and American 2 row for base.

Just trying to figure out which grain to get. Either Caramunich or Crystal Malt 60L just to keep around to make other beers that I want to make soon. To me a Lovibond of around 60 seems to be a good specialty malt that would compliment most brews that I would like to make. Any feedback I would appreciate.

I keep 1-3 pounds of Crystal 10, 80, and 120. I also like melanoidin, victory, and munich.

I specifically keep the crystal 10 to add sweetness without too much color. There's not much of a flavor difference between 60 and 80 that I can tell except for the slightest bit of raisin in the 80. I like it in ambers and darker IPAs.

My LHBS was out of crystal. ALL crystal. Apparently some African women are buying him out at a rate of 5 - 15 kg at a time. Dunno what that's about. Anyway, he substituted the Caramunich L56 for the Crystal 60. Sounds like it will be an excellent substitution for my Amber Ale.

Back