Which charcoal smoker do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Davidson

Reaction score
Sitting at home, playing with my current BBQ setup but got a bit tired of pellets.
I've decided to add a charcoal smoker to my collection, something under $400 preferable. I've been thinking about medium WSM (18") - mostly would be cooking for just me and the wife and random guests (just in case, not during the quarantine, hah). But I was wondering, maybe there are better options you, guys, could recommend? Or WSM is an absolute winner for low and slow BBQ (I mean brisket, steaks and ribs)?

Obviously, would like to avoid something that would fall apart after a year or two.

Any ideas or recommendations?

I have the 18" WSM that I use with a BBQ Guru. Even without the guru it held temps pretty well, unless it was windy. If you want to do some larger briskets, I'd recommend the 22" model. I've had it for several years, and it's not showing any signs of falling apart or rusting through.

Well I'm rocking the Kamado Joe Big Joe as my charcoal smoker/grill/oven... But if you're looking <$400, I don't think there's much chance for a quality kamado-style unless you go Akorn or Big Steel Keg. Which are both excellent, from everything I've heard.

I would look into the Pit Barrel Cooker and/or building an Ugly Drum Smoker [UDS] if you don't mind a little tinkering. I've heard nothing but amazing things about both.

Of course, the WSM is a fine piece of gear, so I have nothing bad to say about it either.

I have a cheap version of the WSM, haven't actually used it in a while, and my big one is a Charbroil Trailmaster limited. I like that one a lot - offset firebox, good quality metal. That brand isn't around anymore, but I've seen the same one at the big-box stores under the Oklahoma Joe brand.
I was looking at a pellet smoker - my brother has one and loves it - I like the set-it and forget it part - fill the hopper and you're good to go. That would be nice for long, overnight smokes like pork butt / shoulder and beef brisket.
The only thing I don't care for with the charcoal ones is having to check on it every hour or so for the charcoal burning out.

I just recently got my Broil King Keg. I upgraded from an early 1990's Weber smoker that was just not useable anymore. I don't know for sure, but it might have predated the Smokey...lol!! There weren't any labels or logos left readable on it. Being I had the Weber for many years, and smoked and grilled on it a lot, I would have to say it was affordable and did well by me. The Keg is just downright fantastic, but it is not under $400......easily doubles that figure.

Kamado Joe FTW!!

Unless you're constantly rockin' temps below 200°, the Kamado Joe (or Big Green Booger) is the way to go.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Kamado Joe FTW!!

Unless you're constantly rockin' temps below 200°, the Kamado Joe (or Big Green Booger) is the way to go.

View attachment 674909

Nice table! Depending how long this stay-at-home order lasts, I might find myself building a table for my Big Joe and Joe Jr, but I don't have your level of woodworking skills, so it won't look nearly as good!

The one thing I will say about a kamado is that they're not the best smoker. IMHO the best smoker is an offset stick-burner. Burning charcoal as your heat source with smoke wood for flavoring, in a heavily-insulated environment with almost zero airflow, will NOT give you the same level of smoke flavor that you get from a stick-burner.

A WSM, PBC, or UDS, because they're less well-insulated, might actually make them better smokers than a kamado because you'll get more airflow. You may need to tend your fire more for long cooks, but could get more smoke flavor.

I love my kamado, of course. But I got it at a point where my gasser was dying and I wanted to upgrade from a propane cabinet smoker, and I needed ONE grill to rule them all. Kamados are amazing all-around grill/smoker/ovens, but I don't think it's necessarily better than the best stand-alone smokers.

I have a 18" WSM. It is the perfect size to feed the wife and I plus friends if needed. Ran it for 2 years with great results before getting a Flame Boss to control it. Still great food just less tending too.
My Christmas present to myself was a GMG pellet smoker. Just like the WSM everything cooked on it has been great and super easy.

Just picked up a full packer prime brisket (because $2.98/per!!). I'll probably have to trim the point from the flat to get it to fit, but in my mind I feel it needs to go on the WSM.

I have a Myron Mixon G33 gravity fed charcoal smoker controller by a DigiQ temperature controller. The stainless steel smoke box is huge and the racks are nickel plated. It is amazing!!!

Nice table! Depending how long this stay-at-home order lasts, I might find myself building a table for my Big Joe and Joe Jr, but I don't have your level of woodworking skills, so it won't look nearly as good!

The one thing I will say about a kamado is that they're not the best smoker. IMHO the best smoker is an offset stick-burner. Burning charcoal as your heat source with smoke wood for flavoring, in a heavily-insulated environment with almost zero airflow, will NOT give you the same level of smoke flavor that you get from a stick-burner.

A WSM, PBC, or UDS, because they're less well-insulated, might actually make them better smokers than a kamado because you'll get more airflow. You may need to tend your fire more for long cooks, but could get more smoke flavor.

I love my kamado, of course. But I got it at a point where my gasser was dying and I wanted to upgrade from a propane cabinet smoker, and I needed ONE grill to rule them all. Kamados are amazing all-around grill/smoker/ovens, but I don't think it's necessarily better than the best stand-alone smokers.

Thanks, man. The design started out as a picnic table-esque design with a hole in it then got bigger and better from there. I even redid the handles of all the tools to match the table.

I totally agree that the best smoker is a purpose built one. I rarely find myself needing to go that low so I'm always finding myself at the Joe. I do have a 22" Weber that I'll use when more people need to be fed or for the annual high-temp cleaning of the Joe's chimney cap and grates.

I still use my Weber Performer grill. I've upgraded it with a Craycort grill and a Weber iGrill 2. Works great when it's not super windy.

I can't imagine how someone would get tired of a pellet smoker. Mine has

push button electric start
very short time to get to set temp
precise temperature control anywhere between 200 and 550 degrees
wifi connectivity to see and reset temperature
easy clean up
easy refueling
dual built in temperature probes

It won't do 850+ degrees like my Big Steel Keg kamado style cooker but in just about any other way it kicks pork buttt.

I have this Akorn among many others.

I placed twice in major competitions with it. It's not quite as forgiving as a green egg but close enough at $300. I can get 7-8 hours at 225 without touching it.

I have the 18" WSM and love it. If you can get by with cutting racks of ribs and brisket to fit it's awesome. Wish I had the 22" but that's the only thing I'd change.

I can't imagine how someone would get tired of a pellet smoker. Mine has

push button electric start
very short time to get to set temp
precise temperature control anywhere between 200 and 550 degrees
wifi connectivity to see and reset temperature
easy clean up
easy refueling
dual built in temperature probes

It won't do 850+ degrees like my Big Steel Keg kamado style cooker but in just about any other way it kicks pork buttt.
Which one do you have? Sorry its OT.

I've had a Pit Barrel Cooker for 3 years now. I love the thing, and other than a good crust on the inside from using it it looks brand new. I keep it outside with the cover they sell. (The cover is aging, I wonder why someone can't make one that doesn't crack in the sun/winter exposure?)

This is about as simple as you can get and it works fantastically without much fuss. It will burn 10+ hours with one load of charcoal. Once you get the vent set for the temps you want you really don't need to do anything. I've had compliment after compliment cooking ribs with nothing but some rub and the Kingsford mesquite briquettes. It is hard to do a small batch of charcoal, so you use close to half a bag per firing.

If the form factor fits your bill I would highly recommend it to anyone.

@Rick Davidson just curious why you got tired of your pellet grill?

As am I

(I am considering one)

Nothing criminal, just want to expand my collection.
My faithful Traeger (Lil Tex) is safe and sound (and I'm not going to give it away/sell it). Like, I would like to be more involved in the process, playing with temperature, messing with fire etc... Don't get me wrong, pellet smokers are great, feels like "press 1 to win/get nice ribs" but I feel like it's time to try something else.

Still, I'm way too lazy to build my own UDS, bwarbiany. What an irony.

Thanks again for your feedback and recommendations, guys! I really appreciate this.

Big Kamado is a dream machine and already on my wish list, but seems to be an overkill for my little experiments right now. As for WSM, I've been eyeing them lately since I would need something portable in the future (not the nearest though) to use it in my cabin. Though now I'm thinking that Akorn, actually, is not a bad option - also feedback is really great. I like that it can be used both as a smoker and as a grill. The only downside for me that it has less cooking area, but I just found that you can even make pizza with it. Wow.

Now I'm choosing between these two, so once again, thanks for your help.

Big Kamado is a dream machine and already on my wish list, but seems to be an overkill for my little experiments right now. As for WSM, I've been eyeing them lately since I would need something portable in the future (not the nearest though) to use it in my cabin. Though now I'm thinking that Akorn, actually, is not a bad option - also feedback is really great. I like that it can be used both as a smoker and as a grill. The only downside for me that it has less cooking area, but I just found that you can even make pizza with it. Wow.

BTW I think the cooking area on the Kamado Joe Classic is basically the same as an Akorn. The size of the main grate is the same. The Akorn, in fact, comes with a swing-out second tier that actually provides *more* cooking area (although you can get a raised second grate for the KJ as well).

I know a lot of folks with the Akorn. I've heard the insulation is spectacular, so fuel usage is minimal. Because it doesn't have 200+ pounds of ceramic, it takes less time to heat up as well. Also because it doesn't have 200# of ceramic, it's much easier to install and handle. And the price is ~25% that of the KJ Classic.

On the downside, it's metal, so there is more chance of rust, long-term. It doesn't have the same level of warranty. At the price point, there are occasionally issues with build quality, so much like other less expensive smokers, you may have to use some "hacks" with it. And it doesn't look as pretty as ceramic ;-)

But capability-wise, the Akorn is top-notch.

Large BGE...From smoking cheese in the fall at <100 degrees to cooking steaks or tuna filets at over 1,000. Look for a used one. They're rare, but they're out there.

Nothing criminal, just want to expand my collection.
My faithful Traeger (Lil Tex) is safe and sound (and I'm not going to give it away/sell it). Like, I would like to be more involved in the process, playing with temperature, messing with fire etc... Don't get me wrong, pellet smokers are great, feels like "press 1 to win/get nice ribs" but I feel like it's time to try something else.

Still, I'm way too lazy to build my own UDS, bwarbiany. What an irony.

Thanks again for your feedback and recommendations, guys! I really appreciate this.

Now I'm choosing between these two, so once again, thanks for your help.
Gateway drum is a great smoker, I have the 55 gallon model. It's great for brisket, that's my favorite cut for smoking. I can cook a two full packer briskets in about 7 hours, we feed about 30 at a tailgate.and it's always a hit.

I had an 18" WSM and it was just too small. I went back and forth between the 22" WSM and a gravity feed smoker. I came across the Gateway because of their claim that you smoke full packers in 6 hours. I bought it and it has not disappointed me yet. It's pretty much set and forget now that I have experience with the dampers. They make a 30 gallon size that is comparable to the 22" WSM but much easier to hold steady temps.

Brinkman trailmaster limited many years of service. But I just went to pellets and luv it.

Attachments

• A2B48C0A-FEF8-4B30-BC8B-4B79A3BF388F.jpeg
    A2B48C0A-FEF8-4B30-BC8B-4B79A3BF388F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
I built a UDS Out of a 55 gallon drum about 8 years ago and love it, once you get the hang of it it’ll go for 10 hours without worry.

The kits you can buy to build your own UDS are pretty nice and not really that expensive. I added a second rack to either cook more food, for a drip pan Or to put someone in place for indirect heat and has made it more versatile.

Another vote for the 18" WSM. It does a better job smoking then my ceramic Vision grill. The WSM holds temps very stable and the porcelin coating makes it lasts for many years. WIth rib racks I don't find it to be too small.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Another vote for the 18" WSM. It does a better job smoking then my ceramic Vision grill. The WSM holds temps very stable and the porcelin coating makes it lasts for many years. WIth rib racks I don't find it to be too small.

What about the Vision makes it harder than a WSM? I would think it should hold temp better than the WSM...

What about the Vision makes it harder than a WSM? I would think it should hold temp better than the WSM...
The advantages I like the WSM over the Vision is that the meat is moisture, possibly due to the water pan.
Smoking temps are easier to hold, with Vision if I crank the vents down to almost close I can hold smoking temps but the Vision is better at higher temps.
Larger distance between grates with the WSM.
Easier to add fuel if you need to.

I use my WSM under the overhang of my shed so I don't have to deal with windy conditions or rain/snow.

The VIsion is great at very cold temp cooks, I have done a turkey at 0 deg. F, burned a little bit more lump then normal but it held temps great.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I have an Oklahoma joes side smoker and I hate it for smoking. Great for grilling though and very heavy duty. It’s either not hot enough, or too hot. I feel like the heat doesn’t transfer to the main compartment very well. Open the vent a little more and before you know if there’s a flame, too much heat, and no smoke.

I want this, but feel like I wouldn’t use it enough to justify.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-1322-sq-in-Mahogany-Pellet-Smoker/1000601259

I have been strongly considering the Masterbuilt 560 you can smoke with it and than crank it up as high as 700 degrees and grill or make pizza's, it's a gravity fed charcoal grill so there is no auger to fail. The Youtube videos I have seen have been very positive about the grill. Basically it's a charcoal grill that operates like a pellet grill you can set it and forget it fans maintain the temps

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collect...ity-series™-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker
1596545907589.png

I have the pit barrel cooker, been using it for a few years now and it works great heres a pic of the pastrami I made this weekend

Attachments

• 20200802_193425.jpg
    20200802_193425.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Used to have WSMs but converted to a Kamado about three years ago.

In my experience, the Kamado/BigGreenEgg smokers are far superior in dealing with wind, outside cold temps, maintaining inside temperature stability and produce a better BBQ result. I bought a Grilla Grills Kong with a BBQ Guru DigiQ temperature controller and the combo locks in temperature perfectly. Charcoal lasts longer than the highest duration sessions I have done, which was 16 hours @ 220F, without adding any. Probably use my Grilla Grills Kong about 3-4 times a week and it is holding very, very well. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back