WSM, Brinkmann or electric?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
I've read through 2 pages of threads that apply to my question and originally I was going to ask if the WSM was worth the premium over this Brinkmann. Right now I have a Char-Griller Smoker which has served me fairly well. I went to a KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition over the weekend and got to talking to one of the competitors. First, the WSM is widely used around those parts. Second, I talked about adding more and more lump charcoal (have used briquettes and added similar amounts) but also mentioned the addition of more wood and constant attention my Char-Griller wanted/needed for a 4 lb butt. The guy was eager to teach and I was eager to learn. He said his large 22" WSM held heat pretty much through the whole smoke of the butt at 275F and that off set smokers will indeed want more attention. It probably doesn't help that it is probably not completely sealed up.

I don't have much of a budget but I think if my day of smoking meat was a little less stressful in terms of maintaining heat, I would do it way more often. Lord knows I spend enough eating out finding good BBQ now…my pocketbook and belly serve as evidence.

That said, I would love a BGE or a Kamado Joe but frankly it is just me and that is an investment I can't make today. I saw the above-linked Brinkmann but then looked at the 18.5" WSM.

Size
The 14" wouldn't be bad but I don't intend to always cook for just one and I feel as though the 18.5" is a more "future proof" investment. At $300 with the addition of a thermometer, I think I can handle that in the next couple of months.

Warnings about what not to cook
One thing is someone said do not make hot dogs or fish on your WSM because it will ruin the season and everything will taste like those foods. Is this correct? Has anyone used their WSM as a grill? I do like to grill during the week. The Brinkmann says it's a grill too but it looks less sturdy and also lacks some vents below that seem necessary.

Seasoning
This reviewer, who has actually been on TV (Slap Yo Daddy's BBQ) says you must season before use. That makes sense but his method seems like it could be a good week before I can smoke anything. He says to burn off everything by heating it on high. Then add charcoal (1/2 chimney) and let that run for a couple of hours. Then add cold coals and 1/2 chimney over hot and some wood, run that for a couple of hours and so forth. It sounds a bit much. I read rubbing the inside with canola oil and running it hot for a few hours would be fine. Not sure what to do here but I really haven't read enough and one review on Amazon isn't going to sway me. Thought I'd ask here all the same.

Thermometer
In terms of pricing, is this a great addition to any smoker?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Electric

Of course the final question is electric. Propane is out of the question for me as I don't like having to go get it every time. When I moved here propane was mostly anything anyone used where I came from. The thought of coals was daunting and sounded time consuming. Now I prefer the flavor overall and I find with a chimney I add about 30 minutes to my cook time total but it does taste good. Then I keep seeing these neat $200 electric smokers and wonder if that is really a way to go. To me, if I am smoking meat I want smoked meat. I was that smoked taste and everything. I read some threads here and it sounds like I can still get that but I doubt I can grill on that.

So needs are
< $300 (less would please me too but I want this to last)
Smoke and would love to still grill
Size matters (I don't want something overly large but want to feed 6-8 if I have to)
Longevity
Ease of use for novice and someone who doesn't want to baby sit meat for 10 hours. By babysit, currently I have to check my smoker every 45-60 minutes and tend to it. Temps dropped to 150 while smoking and I had only left it unattended in 85F weather for 1 hour and about 20 minutes.

I know these threads are fairly redundant and smokers are like boil kettles, but I think before I invest I was just really looking for a few nods that I was on a good track. I am leaning towards the WSM. I was thinking Weber Kettle but I think smoking is primary and grilling is secondary…or close to primary as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read through 2 pages of threads that apply to my question and originally I was going to ask if the WSM was worth the premium over this Brinkmann. Right now I have a Char-Griller Smoker which has served me fairly well. I went to a KCBS sanctioned BBQ competition over the weekend and got to talking to one of the competitors. First, the WSM is widely used around those parts. Second, I talked about adding more and more lump charcoal (have used briquettes and added similar amounts) but also mentioned the addition of more wood and constant attention my Char-Griller wanted/needed for a 4 lb butt. The guy was eager to teach and I was eager to learn. He said his large 22" WSM held heat pretty much through the whole smoke of the butt at 275F and that off set smokers will indeed want more attention. It probably doesn't help that it is probably not completely sealed up.

I don't have much of a budget but I think if my day of smoking meat was a little less stressful in terms of maintaining heat, I would do it way more often. Lord knows I spend enough eating out finding good BBQ now&#8230;my pocketbook and belly serve as evidence.

That said, I would love a BGE or a Kamado Joe but frankly it is just me and that is an investment I can't make today. I saw the above-linked Brinkmann but then looked at the 18.5" WSM.

Size
The 14" wouldn't be bad but I don't intend to always cook for just one and I feel as though the 18.5" is a more "future proof" investment. At $300 with the addition of a thermometer, I think I can handle that in the next couple of months.

Warnings about what not to cook
One thing is someone said do not make hot dogs or fish on your WSM because it will ruin the season and everything will taste like those foods. Is this correct? Has anyone used their WSM as a grill? I do like to grill during the week. The Brinkmann says it's a grill too but it looks less sturdy and also lacks some vents below that seem necessary.

Seasoning
This reviewer, who has actually been on TV (Slap Yo Daddy's BBQ) says you must season before use. That makes sense but his method seems like it could be a good week before I can smoke anything. He says to burn off everything by heating it on high. Then add charcoal (1/2 chimney) and let that run for a couple of hours. Then add cold coals and 1/2 chimney over hot and some wood, run that for a couple of hours and so forth. It sounds a bit much. I read rubbing the inside with canola oil and running it hot for a few hours would be fine. Not sure what to do here but I really haven't read enough and one review on Amazon isn't going to sway me. Thought I'd ask here all the same.

Thermometer
In terms of pricing, is this a great addition to any smoker?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Electric

Of course the final question is electric. Propane is out of the question for me as I don't like having to go get it every time. When I moved here propane was mostly anything anyone used where I came from. The thought of coals was daunting and sounded time consuming. Now I prefer the flavor overall and I find with a chimney I add about 30 minutes to my cook time total but it does taste good. Then I keep seeing these neat $200 electric smokers and wonder if that is really a way to go. To me, if I am smoking meat I want smoked meat. I was that smoked taste and everything. I read some threads here and it sounds like I can still get that but I doubt I can grill on that.

So needs are
< $300 (less would please me too but I want this to last)
Smoke and would love to still grill
Size matters (I don't want something overly large but want to feed 6-8 if I have to)
Longevity
Ease of use for novice and someone who doesn't want to baby sit meat for 10 hours. By babysit, currently I have to check my smoker every 45-60 minutes and tend to it. Temps dropped to 150 while smoking and I had only left it unattended in 85F weather for 1 hour and about 20 minutes.

I know these threads are fairly redundant and smokers are like boil kettles, but I think before I invest I was just really looking for a few nods that I was on a good track. I am leaning towards the WSM. I was thinking Weber Kettle but I think smoking is primary and grilling is secondary&#8230;or close to primary as well.

I bought the 18 inch WSM this past fall and love it. It does maintain temps pretty well and I have gotten in a 16 hour smoke at 225ish without having to add more Kingsford.

Size - The 18 inch is big enough to do an entire turkey, or two halved chickens, I have also done 3 racks of ribs on the top grate (with a rib rack), could probably do 4 butts pretty easily using both racks.

I asked the same question about smoking fish, etc and it seems that many people do it with no ill effects. I guess if you get/notice fishy flavors or smells in your smoker, just cook high to burn it off and reseason.

Seasoning - All I did was fill the basket halfway, crank the heat as high as it would go for 30 minutes or so to burn off anything undesirable, then covered the top grate with cheap bacon and let it go for a while. Seemed to grease it up nicely on the inside. I could be wrong though

Thermometer - I got some cheap chefmate ones from target and they just annoyed me, bought a maverick dual probe one and love it.

Eectric - No experience with them so...

I managed to find mine for ~250 and being my first smoker I learned the temp control quickly (open the top all the way, and adjust temp by the bottom ones. Easy peasy. The minion method works nicely (light maybe half a chimney of coals dump on top of the unburnt ones in the basket and bring it to temp as normal).

Last edited by a moderator:
DrunkleJon pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Not much more that I can add, except that amazingribs.com is a great resource for all things grilling and smoking. They have equipment reviews there if you're inclined to do a bit of reading.

Love my WSM. I've never grilled on it because I have a Weber Kettle too but I guess in theory you probably could. I also didn't season mine, just put it together and fired it up with a chicken and I'm still alive... I have noticed that it maintains temps better now that there is a nice layer of gunk on the walls so I'm sure seasoning would have helped that to begin with. I have the 18" and have it's big enough to do 4 pork butts (was tight but I made it work).

I also have an electric. Masterbuilt 30" 2nd gen and I love that thing as well. There is no worrying about temps just put meat in and cook. Also good for smoking sausages which I just started and they've turned out excellent.

In my opinion you can't have too many grills/smokers so just get one now and the other later, they both have their benefits. Next on my list is a Kamado/BGE type or a smaller offset smoker.

I've never grilled on the WSM, because I have the big weber kettle and a smaller hibachi. It could be awkward because the water pan is in between the coals and the grates. The pan is removable, but the bottom grate is relatively far from the coals. Maybe you could still get it hot enough by keeping the dome on and manipulating the vents. It would take some experimentation to be sure.

I hear that you can turn the WSM into a normal Weber style kettle grill. I haven't done it because I have a side by side propane/charcoal grill and the space for it, but supposedly you can take out the center section and grill normally.

I've never grilled on the WSM, because I have the big weber kettle and a smaller hibachi. It could be awkward because the water pan is in between the coals and the grates. The pan is removable, but the bottom grate is relatively far from the coals. Maybe you could still get it hot enough by keeping the dome on and manipulating the vents. It would take some experimentation to be sure.

From the people I've seen use it as a grill they somehow put a cooking grate on over the bottom section so it's basically a kettle grill and then just set the lid on top. Like I said I've never done it but I guess it's doable.

Also OP another good resource is the virtualweberbullet.com

Never have used a WSM or Brinkman so I can't comment on them specifically.
I can say that I have been using my drum smoker for about 5 years now and love it, total cost was about $100 in parts and an afternoon's time. Mine will hold 225 for 16 hours no problem.
Check out : http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
I built mine with a new unlined drum and recommend that route for sure.
Other than the drum all the supplies came from Home Depot

Here is one I built for my father in law
i-Rwd8XdN-X2.jpg

i-c4k4zRz-L.jpg

i-f5vBrxG-L.jpg

Do you grill on the WSM too?

As others have said you can remove the center section and put the grill grate on the charcoal ring,but what I have found works for me is to move the ring and the grate under it up to the center section putting it on top of the water bowl. This works like a charm.

I am really happy with my MSW.

Wow thanks for the input. Is the consensus that electric < charcoal? I've visited amazing ribs.com and will check out that other site as well.
I looked into the drum smoker. New and fancy you can get one for around $400, no lie. I couldn't swallow paying that when I saw an instructable some time ago. As far as how it works, I'll have to research that.
Is that valve for airflow?

Wow thanks for the input. Is the consensus that electric < charcoal? I've visited amazing ribs.com and will check out that other site as well.
I looked into the drum smoker. New and fancy you can get one for around $400, no lie. I couldn't swallow paying that when I saw an instructable some time ago. As far as how it works, I'll have to research that.
Is that valve for airflow?

I like my charcoal smoker better than my electric. I pretty much only use the electric for sausage and cold smoking or if I'm too lazy to fire up charcoal and to make sure temps don't go crazy (which is usually never because I enjoy messing with stuff and the WSM maintains temps pretty good). So I would always go charcoal over electric unless you're looking for simplicity

Thank you all. After spending an obnoxious amount of time at the VirtualWeberBullet forums and watching YouTube, I'm now overly excited and gung-ho about getting a WSM. Every 30 minutes I ponder the OTG kettle but then remember I can seemingly break down my WSM to make a grill should I be inclined. I have a surface that will hold it up higher so I am not grilling on my old tired knees.

I then turned my attention to preparing brisket, which now has excited me a great deal but also feels daunting. A lot of money goes into those crappy cuts of meat and it sounds like the first could be a loser. Not sure. Anyway, now time to justify the $300. I'm scouring craiglist for one but so far no-dice.

Thank you all. After spending an obnoxious amount of time at the VirtualWeberBullet forums and watching YouTube, I'm now overly excited and gung-ho about getting a WSM. Every 30 minutes I ponder the OTG kettle but then remember I can seemingly break down my WSM to make a grill should I be inclined. I have a surface that will hold it up higher so I am not grilling on my old tired knees.

I then turned my attention to preparing brisket, which now has excited me a great deal but also feels daunting. A lot of money goes into those crappy cuts of meat and it sounds like the first could be a loser. Not sure. Anyway, now time to justify the $300. I'm scouring craiglist for one but so far no-dice.

Unless you find it used, online you will not find them advertised at less than $300. It is some sort of agreement with Weber. If you find one of those slightly clearinghouseish places that operate like a fence (I swear that where I got mine is one) you can occasionally get it for cheaper, mine was only $250.

You should probably get some practice in learning your new unit before trying a brisket just to understand the quirks. Besides the easier stuff is far cheaper and less disappointing if temps get out of hand and it dries out.

Oh of course. I would do a butt and some chicken before attempting a brisket. I want brisket bad but with my offset smoker right now I don't have the patience to tend to it all day.

I picked up a 8.5 lb butt today for $11. It needs to be cooked by tomorrow though. :D

I'm scouring craiglist for one but so far no-dice.

There's a reason you rarely see an used WSM for sale...

Unless you find it used, online you will not find them advertised at less than $300. It is some sort of agreement with Weber. If you find one of those slightly clearinghouseish places that operate like a fence (I swear that where I got mine is one) you can occasionally get it for cheaper, mine was only $250.

I think I saw 'em at Home Depot (in stock!) the other day for $299....

I got mine from buydig.com for $260~ with a coupon code but I now see they don't have the 18.5 anymore. May want to keep that in mind though if they get them again and you can find a coupon code

Seems like everybody I talk to who has a smoker, didn't like it, and quit has a Brinkman. I can think of 4 or 5 people off hand like that.

But my WSM is quite the opposite. Get that, and the Maverick wireless thermometer, and let the smoke roll!

There's a reason you rarely see an used WSM for sale...

I think I saw 'em at Home Depot (in stock!) the other day for $299....
Oh! Under $300! Score!
My reason for thinking one may pop up is due to people getting all gung ho about smoking and then realizing it will take a good part of the day to cook a meal. Some just do not get it and I can point you to 10 people right now. I understand it. It is a good deal of time for a meal but it's a meal that I enjoy a great deal.

Seems like everybody I talk to who has a smoker, didn't like it, and quit has a Brinkman. I can think of 4 or 5 people off hand like that.

But my WSM is quite the opposite. Get that, and the Maverick wireless thermometer, and let the smoke roll!
I did get that because I have an offset now so I am not without a smoker. I use my thermpop thermometer but I have to continue to lift the lid now and then. For $60, the Maverick seemed like a solid investment.

In terms of smokers, I agree that the cheaper ones can be hit or miss. I read at VirtualWeberBullet.com that you can spend $85 on the Brinkmann but then you'll spend about $150+ trying to get it all sealed. I didn't know that in terms of cheaper ones not being sealed but I looked at a pic of my offset from my last smoke and there is smoke coming out of every gap.
I got mine from buydig.com for $260~ with a coupon code but I now see they don't have the 18.5 anymore. May want to keep that in mind though if they get them again and you can find a coupon code

I'll bite the bullet but in the meantime, I figure it doesn't hurt to look around and see what happens. I have to do some responsible things first with my paychecks then I can blow $300+. I'm pretty well sold on the WSM.

Take a look at the pit barrel cooker on amazing ribs. I was going to go electric till I ran into that now I went and ordered one they even ship free and they are made here in the US $289.00

Take a look at the pit barrel cooker on amazing ribs. I was going to go electric till I ran into that now I went and ordered one they even ship free and they are made here in the US $289.00

I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

Haha!! I can't imagine ever owning that unless I wanted to compete. Do you aspire to do that?

No... I just really like the idea of a Santa Maria style grill with the movable grate, but I want an all-in-one that has that feature, can cook over charcoal or hardwood, *and* has a side firebox for smoking. These are not easy to find. BBQ Pits by Klose makes one, and it's got more cooking area than the one I linked, but it's $5K. There comes a point where I think I'd be buying the Klose name if I pulled the trigger on something like that. This, at less than half the price, would meet my needs and if I needed more cooking area, I've got a Masterbuilt vertical propane smoker that's got PLENTY available area.

Latest posts

Back