Which charcoal smoker do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased the Barrel House Cooker. It's the same as the Pit Barrel Cooker (I think they are both owned by the same company), but you can lift the barrel off the base for easy access to add more charcoal. Fairly new to the BBQ game and I have to say I really enjoy being able to set it up and walk away from it as it holds a pretty consistent temp. I think mine was around $300.

I just got a KJ Classic II a couple of weeks ago. Had a variety of smaller weber charcoal grills earlier in life, but have been all gas for the past 15 years or so. Have put it through 3 L&S cooks so far, and definitely still getting the hang of setting/maintaining temp. Extra time spent setting up, cooking, etc., has been well worth the end result. Really digging it so far.

The last 2 or 3 months I have been torn between the Masterbuilt 560, WSM and the PBC so of course I just made the only logical decision (it was time to just pull the trigger enough with endless hours of research)

1599235611118.png

Went with a Kamado Joe Classic, now if I could only get my kids to help me get it off my truck

The last 2 or 3 months I have been torn between the Masterbuilt 560, WSM and the PBC so of course I just made the only logical decision (it was time to just pull the trigger enough with endless hours of research)

View attachment 696808

Went with a Kamado Joe Classic, now if I could only get my kids to help me get it off my truck

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it!

I'd consider helping you get it off the truck in exchange for a steak if you weren't 3000 miles away lol...

18 WSM minion method and my weber kettle with the snake method. Brisket and pork butt is all I ever cook on the WSM with ribs on the kettle. I started to build a DIY Heatermeter but decided I really don't need it 3/4 of the way. I'm not that serious about maintaining tempts and living in SoCal it's not that difficult to hold steady tempts in the WSM

Last edited:
Kamado. I've had it for about 4 years as a learner's set. Happy. First time opening the charcoal. Impressed

I really dig the charcoal. If you can catch it on the Costco roadshow, it's a good deal. I also really like the Primo charcoal (at least the last time I tried it) but it's a much bigger price tag.

I got a bunch of the Royal Oak once on a big sale, and I was not impressed.

Yea. That torn up bag is the Royal oak I think. I picked that bag up at BJs for like $18. Well worth it. Got another bag waiting in the garage. I may pick up more. There's an orchard close by selling apple wood. Good friends with that dude. I'll take whatever he gets

We have the Big Green Egg and really enjoy it, a true test of a new smoker is to place a dollar bill under the closed lid. It should come out with resistance. If it slides out with no resistance it will leak air and be more difficult to control. That is a big reason we selected the BGE, all that said I have a RecReq pellet smoker that we really love, we do all the smoking on it, set and forget.

I just use my 22” Weber kettle grill and lay out my charcoal and wood based on the (Weber/Kingsford) snake or fuse method.

Doing a brisket today with it actually, started the charcoal at 4am and it’s been running steadily since between 240-260F, it’s a great method that does not require a dedicated smoker. I did a pork butt about a month ago and it turned out amazing.

Attachments

• A4FF8126-A588-4ECA-8476-36A3C6F562DA.jpeg
    A4FF8126-A588-4ECA-8476-36A3C6F562DA.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 35
  • 01F13259-0239-48D3-91F2-FF3E8D819100.jpeg
    01F13259-0239-48D3-91F2-FF3E8D819100.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 33

View attachment 696808

Great choices, I like the Kamado Joe Lump, stay away from Cowboy lump which throws sparks and the bag is about 1/4 dust. The Kamado Joe Classic would have been my choice of ceramic grills if price was no object.

We have the Big Green Egg and really enjoy it, a true test of a new smoker is to place a dollar bill under the closed lid. It should come out with resistance. If it slides out with no resistance it will leak air and be more difficult to control. That is a big reason we selected the BGE, all that said I have a RecReq pellet smoker that we really love, we do all the smoking on it, set and forget.

I recently inherited a Traeger. Normally I use the Kamado Joe for all smoking tasks, but I might have to give it a shot just for set @ forget.

I have this Akorn among many others.

I placed twice in major competitions with it. It's not quite as forgiving as a green egg but close enough at $300. I can get 7-8 hours at 225 without touching it.
I have this grill as well, and I love it! There was a bit of a learning curve going from the Barrell style, but it didn't take long and now it is amazing . I cook with it, grill, smoke and bake and everything comes out delicious!

Just bought a Kamado Joe Classic II in July when Costco had a deal on them. I'm still new to it and meat smoking in general, but so far I love it. Have made some great pulled pork and ribs. I love the versatility of the grill for smoking as well as other grilling, pizza making, baking etc. I look forward to learning and doing those other things.

Last edited:
WSM 18" (butt, brisket, chicken), Weber Kettle (grilling), Smokey Mtn Propane (jerky, bacon, sausage) - and I'm shopping for a gas grill for quick cooks.

I have the smaller version of this. Have had it for about 3 years now and it's solid. If I had it to do over again, I'd get this one. The little one is great until Thanksgiving rolls around and you want to smoke a 20lb turkey.

https://www.smoke-hollow.com/collections/combo-grills/products/model-6500-combo-gas-charcoal-grill

This one interests me. I converted a cheap offset many years ago trying to combine functions. I'm curious how well constructed it is though at that price point.

Finally finished took a few years with a cheap harbor freight welder. Backwoods style clone. It’s a beast didn’t realize when I started but it’s gotta close to 500 lbs. can’t believe it never noticed the smoking meat forum.
41FD808A-2207-45E7-8051-5D998BFA74E1.jpeg
910A6D0E-7853-4E87-A0D0-4DAD908C8700.jpeg

Once I learned the trick or turning the cylindrical part upside down when storing I've also been happy leaving it outside in the rain and snow.
Since acquiring a 14 - I don't mind carrying in and out of the garage. So my WSMs are kept under a roof. If I were exclusive to my 18, knowing I wouldn't carry ever time, I'd flip the ring and still use my cover.

imo - the WSM 14 is versatile without water pan for hot and fast cooking. It's also great for short no-fuss cooks at 5 hrs and less with a water in the pan.

I think Gary Wiviott has the right of it in low & slow. just set the ring off and build a new, clean-burning fire. the WSM is an efficient cooker with very repeatable results

my upright drum smoker cost me about $30. it takes a little bit to dial in every time, since i use mostly wood instead of charcoal, but I like to make a big saturday out of it and smoke several chickens, 2-3 pork shoulders, and a few slabs of ribs in one go.

Then vac seal all the meat, delicious smoked meats, ready to rock with less than 20 minutes of prep for every meal.

Back