Which browser do you prefer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which browser?

• Internet Explorer

• Firefox

• Safari

• Opera

• Netscape

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm just wondering for my own education. Please pick the browser you prefer, not necessarily the one you use most. In other words, if you use IE all day because you work on Windows but you enjoy using something else for personal use - please pick the latter. Cheers!

I use IE but the wife loves firefox. Personally I use the internet for HBT and homebrew related stuff lol. Once in awhile I check my e-mail.

Internet Explorer.
Really only because that's what all of my computers I have had came with and that's what I'm used to.
Recently I just realized that the new version of internet explorer I downloaded a while ago doesn’t have the make available offline option for web pages anymore. I've downloaded firefox for this option. Maybe it will grow on me.

when im using windows I stick to firefox, but when im using linux there are so many choices I use which ever one is best suited to what I need it for, small and light for basic stuff, slower and full featured for flash/java based sites or even text based for simple downloads when im using the console.

I am surprised how popular Foxfire is. I mean it is my preferred browser, but I didn't realize so many others use it!

I'm probably one of the few Opera users on this board. I've used it for years, even back when you had to pay for it. I love the mouse gestures. I tried using a plug-in for firefox, but it never worked as seamlessly as it does in opera. It's darn fast, too. The only draw back is every once in a while I run in to a site that doesn't work with Opera. I keep Firefox installed for those instances.

Firefox + Adblock Plus is a win-win situation.

Occasionally Opera when I want something that's really fast ...

I mainly use Firefox, but Seamonkey is good too. So is Konqueror. Dillo is good for a lightweight browser.

I'm probably one of the few Opera users on this board. I've used it for years, even back when you had to pay for it. I love the mouse gestures. I tried using a plug-in for firefox, but it never worked as seamlessly as it does in opera. It's darn fast, too. The only draw back is every once in a while I run in to a site that doesn't work with Opera. I keep Firefox installed for those instances.

I'm another, I've been using Opera since it first came out, and paid for it and an upgrade or two as well before it went freeware. I can't even imagine switching to anything else. You're right, the mouse gestures are a great feature, and one that hasn't been perfected on any other browser.

It's not the most compatible browser, but the features and speed are completely unmatched. There are just a few sites I use regularly that don't work correctly, and I keep Firefox around just for them.

Many sites that at first seem incompatible can be made to work fine by using the "Mask IE" or "Mask Firefox" settings, which do nothing but tell the site that you're using a different browser.

Using IE is a huge security risk, I don't allow its use on my computers or on our network at work. Mac guys use Safari, and PC guys use Firefox, or they use nothing.

It's enough like IE that you'd have no trouble picking it up, but it does most things better, especially security.
+1 although the security isn't what it used to be (as it gets more popular, more malware is written to target it) but it is still better than IE in that regard

I use Firefox at work because we disable alot of funtionality in IE, but mostly IE at home.

FF iz teh joynt.

So many badass plugins...so much faster than IE...plus, MS sux. They're constantly playing catchup to Mozilla. How long after FF came out did it take IE to get tabs? I mean, come ON!

FF iz teh joynt.

So many badass plugins...so much faster than IE...plus, MS sux. They're constantly playing catchup to Mozilla. How long after FF came out did it take IE to get tabs? I mean, come ON!

How long after Opera had tabs did Firefox have tabs? :p

I use Firefox

b. I get less junk on my computer than with IE.

c. tabs.

+1
That's why I switched to it. I'm a web developer by profession, and I specifically do intranet sites for my company and we only use a locked down IE 6, so I use IE all day at work, but come home to FF 3.whatever and Safari on my iPhone, of course...

lynx or links2, can't get any faster than that. :)

I mostly use links when I need a browser from the command line without a GUI, but I haven't tried elinks or links 2. I like links better than lynx.

Firefox has been my staple browser for years, before that I used Opera and IE occasionally. My main reason for loving FF is because of it's speed and that I can use powerful addons like Adblock Plus and NoScript. I'm also really pissed off that IE7 autohides the toolbar... WHY do I have to hit alt to bring it up?!?!?!

IE, never had any probs with it. It's clean and simple. Firefox is a good browser though.

I mostly use links when I need a browser from the command line without a GUI, but I haven't tried elinks or links 2. I like links better than lynx.
right, I mean, mostly I use FF because of the ad-ons but if your at the shell I think I prefer links, depends which one the system already has installed.

The only time I or my business partner use anything other than Firefox is for testing our site. My main system is CentOS and she runs OS/X. I also have Firefox on both of my Winduhs systems.

In the last three years, the only browser that has been a problem with our site is IE.

Firefox, hell yeah! One of my good friends works for Mozillla so I have been using it for a long time, I try to convert anyone I can.

FireFox all the way! Only had one issue with it and that was not FF fault. Had to pay my property tax and the local assessor's office website was only compatible with IE 5.x "because our recent study shows that 80% of users prefer it." Kills me that they spent the time and money studying this, got it so wrong and didn't bother to make their site compatible with anything else. I had to break out my old computer to pay my bill online.

Terje

FireFox here, but Mozilla also makes another browser with the new FireFox engine (if that's the correct term, I'm not an IT guy) called Flock. It's nice, has a few features that make it nice to work with.

FF Users:
Go get Firefox 3. It's the shiznit. Really though, the way the address bar works is awesome. It sames the page title and descrip so if you are trying to find a thread you thought you saw on mill gaps, just type gap and down drops a barley crusher thread and a GaP thread. Very helpful for quick navigation.

Originally choose FireFox. But I tried out Opera and I found my new brower. I just need a pop-up blocker now.

No need, it's built-in! Go to preferences/general. Mine is set to "Block Unwanted Popups," that way sites that use click-triggered popup windows for content work correctly, but annoying ad-popups are blocked.

You can also choose this setting (along with many other settings) independently for different sites, by right-clicking and choosing "Edit Site Preferences." You can also block various ad servers, on a site or global level. Again, right-click on a site and choose "Block Content."

I am insulted that my favorite browser is not listed. Seamonkey!

(It's actually the old Mozilla with a new name) It's got the classic Mozilla feel and can run some of the firefox add-ons and stuff.

This subject is not simple. :(

I use Iceweasel 3 which is a rebrand of Firefox. Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, released the source code to the public as open source which is a really REALLY good thing. However, the idea of releasing this source is so that each user can adapt it to his or her own needs. When Debian (The distro I use) began applying patches, Mozilla demanded that they get all patches approved because "Firefox is our product". This violates the Debian Social Contract, so rather than have to ask permission to patch the source, they simply stopped using the Firefox name and logo.

I love Firefox/Iceweasel for the plugins. I'm absolutely addicted to them. I hate just about everything else about the browser, first and foremost being the fact that it isn't a native GTK application so it's always "slightly" out of place and I like my applications being uniform and consistant.

Epiphany has the sexiest font rendering I've ever seen, but it's a very basic browser. Recent versions also use the WebKit rendering engine and I'm a huge fan of WebKit. If Epiphany-webkit could use Firefox plugins, I would drop Firefox itself in a heartbeat.

Midori is a nifty little browser, especially for older PCs or embedded devices like my phones. It uses WebKit too. :)

In short, I picked "other" because there is no single browser that does everything well. I regularly find myself bouncing around for some experience or another.

Back