Which beer kit extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walleyeye

Reaction score
Hey folks,

brewing my first beer kit soon and looking for some advice.
I want to make either a Pilsner or lager but prefer Pilsner that isnt bitter, hoppy or malty at all.

Which of the canned extract kits would you suggest? Im looking at Coopers, Brew Canada, Muntons, Morgans Canadian Beer kits.

Do you have any suggestions? Any input would be appreciated!

A real lager is a bit of a task for a new brewer. Assume you have done some reading. So.. I suggest a Pale Ale kit. I started and still brew many of the extract HME kits. You learn the very basics and most of the time get a drinkable beer.
MOST important is clean and sanitize everything that touches you beer, keep hands sanitized too. I dip my hands in the ONE-STEP product solution all the time.
A pale ale is not very hoppy
As an aside with HME ( hopped malt extract) Recipe tells you to add x pnds of sugar. I find I get better results if I use DME. Most of the mentioned canned HME -I add 3 pnds of Pilsner or light DME. The kits make 5 gal. Keep temp at 68 to 70. I ferment for 14 to 21 days. Then package .. I never use a secondary. I do cold crash for 3 -4 days at end of fermentation
I could go on ...
R

Hey folks,

I want to make either a Pilsner or lager but prefer Pilsner that isnt bitter, hoppy or malty at all.

Which of the canned extract kits would you suggest? Im looking at Coopers, Brew Canada, Muntons, Morgans Canadian Beer kits.

What you want to do requires very cool and very controlled fermenting temperatures. Plus there are other complications. An ordinary ale is way simpler.

My suggestion if you want a specific one would be the Northern Brewer "Block Party Amber Ale" 5 gallon kit. You can get just the ingredients or you can get it with a cheap kettle, fermentation bucket, bottle bucket, all the other basic paraphernalia. It's not a bad buy for what you are getting, and you end up with a very drinkable beer. The supplied yeast will ferment nicely at around 72f up to about 74f. Follow the instructions like they came lasered into stone tablets, don't freestyle anything, do everything exactly as instructed, and your chances of failure are pretty darn low. It's a good way to get your feet wet.

If there is an option to get a "Big Mouth Bubbler" fermenter instead of the bucket, get it. You will get really aggervated getting that bucket lid on and off after a couple of batches, and failure to get a good seal is a possible reason for a batch to fail. The BMB is a very handy fermenter. You need to shield it from UV light and I just dress mine up in a black tshirt, works great. Get the one with the spigot near the bottom, very convenient.

I hate bottling. I keg all my beer. it is way easier, cleaner, and more convenient. If you don't know if you are going to stick with it or not, stick with bottling for your first batch. Otherwise you might also get keg, faucet, CO2 tank, regulator, all that stuff. You will have a couple of weeks from starting the batch before you will really be worrying about where you are gonna put the beer, so plenty of time to set up your kegging and serving apparatus and get the loose bits that you didn't get. Then again, some guys just prefer bottling. Whatever blows your skirt up.

Northern Brewer has a lot of different kits, plenty to choose from, and several other vendors also have a wide array of batch kits. You will find a medium gravity ale made with either dry or liquid extract to be your easiest first go. You might decide to stick with extract brewing. Beer snobs might sneer a bit but who cares? If your extracts are fresh and stored properly, you will get very consistent batches, and it is really easy. Or you might want to switch to grain, for more control over the process, or to save money. My 8% or so brown ales cost me about 40ȼ per pint, unless I am paying myself for the work, in which case it is kind of expensive.

Hey folks,

Making a Pilsner is a difficult task to get right and as a new brewer you are likely to get beer that isn't top notch. If the only beer you want is a Pilsner, the best approach is to go to the liquor store and buy it.

It depends a bit on your goals, but my suggestion would be to avoid all the boxed/canned extract kits. To me they are to beer what Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli is to Italian food. You don't need to hand roll pasta and grown your own tomatoes to make a decent lasagna, but you should at least start with some decent ingredients.

Do you live in Canada? I am not sure what is available up there. In the US places like MoreBeer and Northern Brewer sell some good quality beer kits. If you have the book "How to Brew", the very first chapter walks you through brewing an extract recipe that is what I would look for in a kit. It should not be a can of pre-hopped extract, or a box that has been sitting on a shelf for months. It should contain a base extract (dried, liquid, or both), likely some steeping grains, fresh hops, and a fresh pack of yeast.

The recipes in "How to Brew" are also a solid place to start. They would require ordering individual ingredients separately, and you might have to make a substitution or two based on availability. I might not recommend that path for a first time brewer, unless you hand a local shop that could help you out. "How to Brew" by John Palmer is a very solid book if you want to learn about brewing.

I appreciate all the input so far but will say doing a grain to glass recipe is too advanced for me as I’m just starting.
I’ve settled on a canned extract kit as thats whereI’m gonna start for now and try to find one I like.
I bought a Morgans lager extract kit and will start there.

I appreciate all the input so far but will say doing a grain to glass recipe is too advanced for me as I’m just starting.

Good luck with your kit. Hopefully it turns out well and you enjoy drinking the beer.

This is the type of kit that I would recommend (maybe for your second batch?). It is packaged with all the ingredients needed to brew the beer along with accurate step by step instructions. There are links on the page where you can download a set of generic brewing instructions, as well as a sheet that lists what is in the kit. Blonde Ale - Extract Beer Brewing Kit (5 Gallons) | MoreBeer

I made a Coopers Real Ale canned kit last year and was very pleased with the result. Having homebrewed thirty years I felt it wasn't fair to knock them until you tried one. It exceeded my expectations.

I've read good things about Coopers Australian Ale kit. If you do PROPER sanitation and temp control it should make a pretty nice beer. Use more DME and less sugar. The yeast in this kit is a blend of lager and ale yeast. Keep it cool and it will ferment clean.

I think sanitation and temp control are where new brewers fail in producing good beer from canned kits. Kits are done by noobies that aren't familiar with these two basics thus their kit beer sucks.

Last edited:
I've been a homebrewer for a little over 15 years. And while I mostly do all grain these days I brewed only extract beers for years, and still do so today occasionally. Lots of great advice above. My go to extract kits are Coopers and Williams Brewing. I know there are many good extract kits put there but these have worked well for me. One note: I've found that using distilled water really improved the overall flavor of my extract brews. Not sure of all the science behind this. There are resources on Homebrew Talk that discuss the ins and outs of this. Good luck.

I've found that using distilled water really improved the overall flavor of my extract brews. Not sure of all the science behind this.
When the wort is concentrated, only water is taken out. So the DME/LME contains the minerals from the extract makers water supply.

If tap water contains 'large' amounts of minerals, using it for a DME/LME recipe can result in an "over-mineralized" wort.

I think your beer will be fine. Hopped extracts are a great way to start brewing. Brew them according to the instructions. When you are comfortable with the process and sanitation, you can advance your brewing gradually as you like. Keep us posted.

Cooper’s Real Ale…🍻

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I made a Coopers Real Ale canned kit last year and was very pleased with the result. Having homebrewed thirty years I felt it wasn't fair to knock them until you tried one. It exceeded my expectations.

Hey John, do you remember if/ how you modified your first Cooper’s Real Ale kit? That was my very first Homebrew attempt, about years ago. My friends and I were impressed with my results. We were all starting our Homebrewing journey and each did different kits for comparison. I believe we added a few additional ingredients but I‘ll never remember what they were.

As a commemoration of my first brew my wife and I thought it would be cool to do the kit again, even using plastic bucket fermenter - as close to original as possible. I picked up corn sugar as recommended on can, but any other basic additions you did???

Cheers 🍻

KBW:

Back