Where to find good control panel box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
I have about 90% of what I need to build my electric PID setup but still don't have a spa panel or a box to use as the control panel. Where's a good cheap one to get? It'll be for a single vessel setup to make 5 gal batches

Cheap means painted steel, and they aren't that cheap. Lots of vendors used on the forum like Electric Brew Supply or the auctions eBay, Ali, etc. I recommend you get one bigger than you think you need.

Yeah. Depends on what you're building but 10x10 is pretty small. I'd suggest 8 rather than 6" deep for that matter. I've seen it my whole career in electricity. People seem to love to cram wiring into too small of a space. The cost of sizing the box up one or two times is negligible when compared to the frustration of trying to cram in wiring that shouldn't fit. Go big.

The home Depot and Lowe's has a heavy plastic waterproof electrical enclosure with a screw on cover.. It's 12 x 12 x 8 carlon brand... About $36 I've used them for a few builds.. easy to cut and drill too.

The home Depot and Lowe's has a heavy plastic waterproof electrical enclosure with a screw on cover.. It's 12 x 12 x 8 carlon brand... About $36 I've used them for a few builds.. easy to cut and drill too.

If you are going temporary/still growing your system, I would go this route. I am actually using this now on my eBoil Kettle (only thing that is electric so far).

Cheap means painted steel, and they aren't that cheap. Lots of vendors used on the forum like Electric Brew Supply or the auctions eBay, Ali, etc. I recommend you get one bigger than you think you need.

Yes, make sure you go a little bigger than you think.

I went with the Auber Ins one listed on Amazon 10x8x8, Mostly because it came with the heat sink, precut out, and the 1/16th din cut out. I was not looking forward to cutting the square hole in the steel box. It also had the internal raised panel for mounting equipment to.

But I am at about the same point, all part have been gathered/ordered, waiting on the flanged inlets/outlets and RTD panel mount connector.

Good Luck

Yeah. Depends on what you're building but 10x10 is pretty small. I'd suggest 8 rather than 6" deep for that matter. I've seen it my whole career in electricity. People seem to love to cram wiring into too small of a space. The cost of sizing the box up one or two times is negligible when compared to the frustration of trying to cram in wiring that shouldn't fit. Go big.

On top of the frustration, cramming the components and wires is unsafe for a number of reasons. Spend a little extra on the box to get the bigger size.

This seems like a good size for the single kettle build, and the plastic will be easy to cut. Winning. :mug:

This seems like a good size for the single kettle build, and the plastic will be easy to cut. Winning. :mug:

I actually crammed everything in my avatar pic into one... although if I did it again I would go with something larger...(which I did with my new arduino based panel.

I couldnt find that box online... would like to go the plastic route just to make cutting easy like mentioned....

I couldnt find that box online... would like to go the plastic route just to make cutting easy like mentioned....

I don't see them either, just ~12x12x6 in.

Another option that avoids cutting the square hole is something pre-cut like:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=143
But, I would make sure the controller was no where near the kettles since it has wide-open vent holes in the back.

Auber 2352 is ~4.5 inches deep, so this might be an option for plastic:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UPANU2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Auber EZ-Boil DSPR1 looks to be <4in deep, so that'd be an even easier fit.

CHEERS!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=143
But, I would make sure the controller was no where near the kettles since it has wide-open vent holes in the back.

I have also been thinking about using this smaller box "Pbox16" from auber, I have seen a couple builds using it but it looks tight.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=409079

For instance in that build he has wired cables out the sides with receptacles on them instead of on the panel as I suspect they would not fit.

Another seemingly unfinished project here thought about using that box as well.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=286136

I will probably look into one of the plastic junction boxes if I can find one for a decent price.

Back