Where to find fresh yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galacticbrewing12

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any good online sources of where to get fresh yeast? I have a local homebrew shop that has fairly fresh yeast within a month or less, but has a limited number of strains available. I am looking for yeast that is usually within about a month of its manufacture date. So many times when you get yeast it is at least 2 months old and is nearly 50% viable. Any suggestions?

Sorry I can’t comment on the question, but may be able to quell your concerns of viability. The white labs group released an analysis of their Pure Pitch yeasts which suggests the viability charts that online calculators like Brewers Friend utilize use are overly aggressive. Those online calculators estimate viability reductions of 22% per month for White Labs strains, while BeerSmith estimates more like 10% per month. The White Labs analysis linked below, which should be taken cautiously since they profit from positive results, shows that viability is really good up to at least the six month mark with White Labs Pure Pitch.

https://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life

Sorry I can’t comment on the question, but may be able to quell your concerns of viability. The white labs group released an analysis of their Pure Pitch yeasts which suggests the viability charts that online calculators like Brewers Friend utilize use are overly aggressive. Those online calculators estimate viability reductions of 22% per month for White Labs strains, while BeerSmith estimates more like 10% per month. The White Labs analysis linked below, which should be taken cautiously since they profit from positive results, shows that viability is really good up to at least the six month mark with White Labs Pure Pitch.

https://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life
That's helpful information. There is so much conflicting information out there its hard to know what to believe. While in many ways home brewing is an art, there is also science behind it. Just hard to determine what is fact or fiction. Seems like overall I shouldn't stress too much about it as long as I'm making a good starter.

Seems like overall I shouldn't stress too much about it as long as I'm making a good starter.

Oh, most definitely if you’re making a starter there is not much to worry about. I’ve brought several year-old fridge-stored yeasts back to life with a single 2L starter. Most viability concerns come when pitching directly from the package.

I was wondering if anyone has any good online sources of where to get fresh yeast? I have a local homebrew shop that has fairly fresh yeast within a month or less, but has a limited number of strains available. I am looking for yeast that is usually within about a month of its manufacture date. So many times when you get yeast it is at least 2 months old and is nearly 50% viable. Any suggestions?

If you feel like taking a ride to NJ, Keg and Barrel in Berlin usually has a pretty good selection. Maybe call before you go, and have them put some aside for you.

Also, most LHBS will happily order yeast for you if you call them a week before you need it.

Back