Where to buy 15.5g Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
I've spent the past 3 days searching the web high and low for 15.5g kegs for sale, either new or used. I've found very very few resources that seem like the sort of thing I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

5gB

Okay... cool...

See, I checked EBAY, and saw this one, and others... this looks like something that is quality? I really have no idea.

5gB

So, like where do all these breweries get their 15.5g kegs from? We're talkin as big as Miller to as small as the county microbrewery. I can see the smaller breweries using 'questionably obtained' kegs if they are this hard to come by! If no one is questioning the sale of these 'branded' kegs on EBAY, I think it may be a great place to start, as the PARTS for all 15.5g keg makes are very easy to come by on the internet shops.

But the bigger fellas have got to be getting their 15.5g kegs from some company in bulk though, right? Who is this company? That's what I'm trying to find out as the other option to EBAY purchases.

Any ideas?

5gB

Sabco, Cornelius (bought out by someone, I think), and Spartanburg are a few companies that provide new kegs. They probably aren't willing to sell small quantities to guys like you and I. Sabco recently pulled most of their homebrewing line of products in lieu of providing services and supplies to larger companies.

There is a big, legitimate used market for kegs, lots of smaller breweries will buy used kegs. But, it's an issue of finding someone who's willing to sell one or two kegs, and be able to get to them.

No, Yuri...

I'm going to be doing bigger batches pretty soon (20g), and will be operating a small, home-based commercial brewery. My clients will generally want large quantities of beer each week, and I will need something bigger than those 5g cornies. I'm probably going to snag a few of those too! Thanks for the keggle offer though.

5gB

Good luck! Commercial brewing is full of pitfalls and heartache, but I REALLY hope you do well with it! If you need some additional advice, send a message to Brewpastor - he's got some experience with running a micro.

I'm picking up 5 from a local micro for $15 each. They said they can't use them because the spear is damaged. See what you can find in your area.

Wild

5gBrewer said:
No, Yuri...

I'm going to be doing bigger batches pretty soon (20g), and will be operating a small, home-based commercial brewery. My clients will generally want large quantities of beer each week, and I will need something bigger than those 5g cornies. I'm probably going to snag a few of those too! Thanks for the keggle offer though.

5gB

Keggles generaly aren't 5 gallon cornies.

Hahaha... Frats and then some. I live in a wonderful area that appreciates fine craft brews. I'm going to try to move between 20g - 40g a month to start, which should be easy enough to do considering the crowds I know. I'm still going to be keeping my fingers crossed, and of course, not quitting the day job until things are well established.

As for the kegs... I went with some EBAY listings. There seems to be some great used equipment if you don't mind the usedness of the kegs.

5gB

orfy said:
Keggles generaly aren't 5 gallon cornies.

Yeah, I know... they're usually 15.5g kegs, right? I meant that I was not gonna need a keggle, but an actual keg, and if I couldn't get my mits on some 15.5galloners, I was going to go with 4 or so 5g cornies.

5gB

It's really hard to locate legal kegs in my area.
I have called all the micros but due to the high cost of kegs most repair the few that get damaged.
I've been looking for alternatives but so far I haven't been very lucky.

Back