Where does this washer go - kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodenschatz87

Reaction score
kegwasher.PNG

In the attached image I have circled the object I'm confused about. I don't actually know where that is supposed to go. Can anybody help me?

Other than the white washer (or whatever it is) I assume anywhere metal is touching metal I will need a black or white washer. The kegerator I bought had terrible instructions but yet included a bunch of stuff.

Calling the highlighted objects "washers" is a huge stretch - I don't even see holes through them.
Are they rubber? Could they be uber-primitive faucet plugs?

Cheers!

Yeah I really have no idea what it is. O have one with my stuff and I keep seeing them online but can't see anybody explaining what they are for.

@RevKey solved it (I don't do Sankes).
I guess there must be a hole through that thing but it sure doesn't look like it in the picture...

Cheers!

[edit] Ah - is that a duckbill style check valve then?

Last edited:
@RevKey solved it ( don't do Sankes).
I guess there must be a hole through that thing but it sure doesn't look like it in the picture...

Cheers!
No hole but gas influx is not restricted, liquid reflux back into the regulator is, yes its an oddity for those who only use cornies [emoji482]

How do I know if I need this? I just bought a new micromatic coupler.
Any sanke, I believe not just D but I only have a D coupler (commercial US), that has a gas input should have one to prevent beer going into the regulator. This should be installed as shown in my picture and the lock nut goes over top to secure the barb

Thanks for the helpful information guys. I bought this Insignia kegerator and I've had trouble with it from the start. I have basically replaced all of the parts just because I've tried everything to get it to stop foaming. So I'm trying to reassemble it correctly and give it another go. The previous coupler I had wasn't using that valve, mainly because the instructions included didn't even mention it at all.

I did purchase this coupler from micromatic that I am installling. There was already the nipple part on the side so I'm wondering if I take that off if I'll find it came with that rubber valve.
https://www.micromatic.com/keg-tap-...em-keg-coupler-tap-w-gray-lever-handle-7485ss

I'm new to the whole kegerator game so just trying to figure everything out.

Well you came to the right place, I too once had foaming issues, they are gone now.

Foaming can be caused by bad shanks, take a peak and see if they are corroded or bumpy on the inside, they should be smooth, the coupler shouldn't matter much but your length of line, inner diameter of line and serving pressure will affect this too.

I don't remember what initially balanced mine but I switched to flow control faucets a while ago. Maybe the other members who still have lengths of line can explain the balancing

Those are duckbill check valves, preventing beer from backing up into your gas system.
There's no visible hole, but there is a small separation between the 2 segments in the top of the horseshoe shaped area, where gas will push through. One way.

Well you came to the right place, I too once had foaming issues, they are gone now.

Foaming can be caused by bad shanks, take a peak and see if they are corroded or bumpy on the inside, they should be smooth, the coupler shouldn't matter much but your length of line, inner diameter of line and serving pressure will affect this too.

I don't remember what initially balanced mine but I switched to flow control faucets a while ago. Maybe the other members who still have lengths of line can explain the balancing

I will say that the reason that valve came up in discussion for me is because I'm reassembling my kegerator essentially after purchasing a new coupler, co2 regular, and elbow shank. Before that I replaced the line for a 10 foot length line, added a tower fan, and bought a nice perlick faucet. So essentially I have replaced all of the cheap junky pieces that came with the kegerator for new, good parts. Really hoping when I tap the next keg things work well finally. Is a cold, non foamy beer too much to ask for?

[...] I replaced the line for a 10 foot length line, added a tower fan, and bought a nice perlick faucet. So essentially I have replaced all of the cheap junky pieces that came with the kegerator for new, good parts. Really hoping when I tap the next keg things work well finally. Is a cold, non foamy beer too much to ask for?

10' of 3/16" ID line may still give you foaming depending on keezer/kegerator temp, dispensing pressure/carbonation level, and a few other factors. I use 20' of (internally very slick) Bev-Seal Ultra (0.20" ID) and still have foaming issues on some higher carbonated beers (above 2.5 volumes). A flow control faucet maybe the ultimate solution.

McMaster-Carr carries both duckbill and ball'n'spring check valves you can stick in your gas lines.
Alternatively shut-off valves can be had with integrated ball'n'spring checks.
All of my shut-offs - whether on regulators or manifolds - have integrated checks...

Cheers!

OT, but do they make something like that for Ball Lock? I am soooo tired of cleaning my gas lines...

Why do you get beer inside your gas lines so often? I've only had beer back up a couple times, simply due to user error (like gas turned off).

I often force carbonate by rolling (rocking) the keg on the floor for 10 minutes at 20-30 psi. I keep the gas post pointing upward and the gas line going up. As long as gas is flowing in, beer (foam) can't get up in there.

As @day_trippr said, most gas shut off valves have integrated check valves and are located near the regulator or on gas manifolds. So yeah, beer could back up that far if you do something wrong or have overfilled kegs.
There are pin lock QDs with built in check valves, but I've never seen them for ball locks. Is there really a need for them?

Why do you get beer inside your gas lines so often? I've only had beer back up a couple times, simply due to user error (like gas turned off).

I often force carbonate by rolling (rocking) the keg on the floor for 10 minutes at 20-30 psi. I keep the gas post pointing upward and the gas line going up. As long as gas is flowing in, beer (foam) can't get up in there.

As @day_trippr said, most gas shut off valves have integrated check valves and are located near the regulator or on gas manifolds. So yeah, beer could back up that far if you do something wrong or have overfilled kegs.
There are pin lock QDs with built in check valves, but I've never seen them for ball locks. Is there really a need for them?

Every time I can think of has been with my carb cap. Most of the time it is while shaking the 2 liter to carb up a soda or water. Once it was a beer that I had put in the 2 liter to share but forgot to turn the gas on first.

Back