Where did you get your bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there's more of a consensus on the high quality of Wilser's bags than any other topic on this forum.

I want to argue against it just to be a little contrarian, but I can't. Wilser bags are great. I have one and use it all the time and haven't had any issues.

@wilserbrewer I've been looking on your website to buy replacement bags for my High Gravity system. I like your grand slam package with the larger 150 pound capacity ratchet pulley. My kettle has a 5500 ultra low watt density heating element in it. I was wondering if there are any concerns with your bags coming in direct contact with the heating element during the mash. The reason I ask is I would like to get rid of the stainless steel basket that came with the system and just use your grain bag instead.

View attachment 631638

Exactly how I do it. Bag inside the basket. No melting issues.

As an update, I bought a false bottom for my kettle to prevent the grain/hop bags from touching the heating element. I also bought the @wilserbrewer Grand Slam package which includes a grain bag, heavy duty ratchet pulley and two large hop bags. I plan to use them without the grain basket in a week or two and will post an update on how it goes.

Home Depot- 5- gallon paint strainer bags. $3-$5 for a package of 3. Elastic around top . I use it for 5.5 gallon batches in an 8-gallon kettle. Slip it off the rim, put it through a slip-knot "hangman noose" and works fine with pulley. The weight of the bag is plenty to keep the bag secured.

Just started home brewing and I'm already eager to start with all grain. BIAB is looking like a great option for me; just need a bag and I should have all the equipment I need.

What bag dows everyone use? I found one on Amazon, fairly cheap that looks decent

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D53H3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cmLMCbXXAEC01

I've also read about this one that seems very well made, just a bit pricer than amazon.

https://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-kettles

So what's everyone using??
I use the Brew Bag and really like it for the strap loops when I attach it to the hoist pulley.
20191108_122426.jpg

+1 for Wilser bags. I picked up the Denny's pkg and have brewed but one batch so far, but have no reason to think it won't last a long time. It was my first BIAB experience and went well. The bags clean up a lot easier than expected.

The only problem I ever had with my Wilser bag was that I lost it. I ordered another one yesterday and it is already on the way.

I use the Brew Bag and really like it for the strap loops when I attach it to the hoist pulley.

Looks like a solid product that suits your situation well.

What I don't like about the straps is that it puts the attachment point way above the grains, which requires a lot of space between the kettle and the overhead anchor point.

With my Wilser bag I just use a little loop of cord to make a prusik hitch around the bag, placing the attachment point where I want it to be, right above the grains.

I guess you could put a prusik hitch around a bag that has straps, but then what would be the point of paying for the straps?

I got a multipack of cheap bags from I believe Amazon when I first started BIAB. I got 3-4 batches out of the first two, before small holes developed. Just finished batch 6 on my current bag, but I’ve been real gentle with it. When these are all done, I’ll definitely go with a better quality bag.

No hoist here, I grab and hold, then transfer to a 2 stacking bins with holes in the top bin for drainage during light squeezing. This is most likely where my bag holes develop. I do like the ratcheting hoist idea... added it to my brewery wish list :)

Attachments

• 85929964-36F1-49EB-A96C-9D0D2AD808B5.jpeg
    85929964-36F1-49EB-A96C-9D0D2AD808B5.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 10
Wilser bag with the pulley, here. Works great, very durable! I use my old one to strain the bones and vegetables when making soup stock.

Looks like a solid product that suits your situation well.

What I don't like about the straps is that it puts the attachment point way above the grains, which requires a lot of space between the kettle and the overhead anchor point.

With my Wilser bag I just use a little loop of cord to make a prusik hitch around the bag, placing the attachment point where I want it to be, right above the grains.

I guess you could put a prusik hitch around a bag that has straps, but then what would be the point of paying for the straps?
You're absolutely correct. Those straps work well for me since I have 10ft ceiling in the garage and use a locking hoist the has a release string.

I also like the straps as I fold them over the kettle sides and run a nylon string around and through them and tie it off. Keeps the bag from slipping or shifting when adding the grain at dough in. No more binder clips needed.

I have two. One for my cooler mash tun and one for my kettle. Both are from brewinabag.com. The kettle bag is a little courser weave that works great for recirculating eBIAB, which is my primary method. The one for the mash tun is finer. It drains slower and, I suspect, might be a little trickier with recirculation.

I got the cooler bag, gloves and a ratcheting pulley for about $40 on sale a few (3+ I think) years ago. It's got a lot of batches through it and shows no signs of wear (a little staining from the stouts I've brewed). It handles the 25 lb grain bill for my favorite RIS recipe with no issues. I got the kettle bag last summe when I switched to recirculating eBIAB.

I don't clip mine to the kettle or anything. I drop it in and fold it over the edges. The possible need to clip it to hold it never occurred to me and it's never been an issue. Same with the cooler MLT...I've never needed to secure the bag to keep it from falling in. Not sure why that's a thing. I like the straps for lifting.

Wilser, I'm sure, makes a very fine bag. He's an active poster here and has countless happy customers. I don't feel the need to sell you on what I bought (I've never understood the people who are driven to make you choose what they chose), just relaying what I have and why. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one. With the two I have, I probably won't be buying another bag for at least 5 years based on how they're holding up so far. When I do buy, I'll probably buy the same thing as it's a known commodity for me and fits my rig perfectly.

Last edited:
.... like the straps as I fold them over the kettle sides and run a nylon string around and through them and tie it off. Keeps the bag from slipping or shifting when adding the grain at dough in. No more binder clips needed.

Sounds like that works well for you.

I like that the Wilser bag has a drawstring built in. It's all that's needed to secure the bag to the kettle (never had a need for binder clips).

The drawstring is also handy when it comes time to empty the bag. I drop it in a bucket, tighten the drawstring around the bucket, take it to the woods, and turn it upside down. The bag inverts, emptying the contents, while staying attached to the bucket.

I recently got back into brewing after a 5 year hiatis. I had no idea these bags existed when I brewed previously. I'm glad I stumbled on a review for Wilser's BIAB. I've used it 4 times in the past month, my efficiency is way, way better than when I used a braid. Highly recommended.

Back