Where can I find a hammer capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I want a hammer capper because they are cheap and rugged, but I don't know where to get one. Where are they?

Hammer Capper? Do you mean something like this?

capperagata.jpg

No, not like the picture. It's really small and it's basically the metal capping piece with a handle. You tap it with a hammer.

Ok, I found some for sale... in Britain. Barring that I also found directions on how to make something similar in my copy of The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible (pg 80). If you find a copy you could try making one (my LHBS carries copys).

Anyone got a picture of one? Maybe I can google it. Just curious.

Never mind... found one. And you don't have to get it in the UK. You can get it from Herbs and Heirlooms in Terre Haute, Indiana.

I might have mine floating around somewhere... It's a plastic handle that has a piece of metal about the diameter of a silver dollar and about 3" thick with a recess molded in just like the piece in your lever capper but cut from the solid metal piece.

This one looks a lot like mine.
CrownHammer.jpg

They also make a version with a stamped crowner that has a tall handle and you strike the top of the handle.

I got mine from the LHBS in Sacramento CA. But it was in 1993 so I have no idea where to get them anymore.

Why'd they stop making them?

BTW: If I just pitched some yeast and it's all laying on the bottom after 24 hrs is it dead?

Back