Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob C.

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beginner Bob C. back again (I am now a paying member because I can see the usefulness of this site). So after about 56 hours it started fermenting. Then after 48 it stopped. It is about 65-66 where I have the fermentor. I rather not open it to take a reading because I think it stalled. Should I try to find a warmer environment?
Thanks, Bob C.

How did you decide that it started after 56 hours and stopped after 48? Also, some details about the brew might help people help you. Extract? Grain? Yeast? OG? Etc.

So after about 56 hours it started fermenting. Then after 48 it stopped.
Taking 56 hours to start is longer than usual, but, assuming you mean it then fermented for 48 hours and then seems to have stopped, it's pretty normal to have a fairly short very active fermentation phase. Just leave it alone; it needs time to finish up.

If this is the Brewers Best Holiday Ale you posted about before, they recommend moving the beer to a secondary (a carboy) while it finishes and clarifies. I do this in my brewing, but it is an out of favor practice these days. If you do the secondary, move it on day 6 or 7, and leave it in the secondary for at least a week. You'll see it clearing.

Welcome to HBT. Is the Dinosaur BBQ still a good place in Syracuse?

Last edited:
Usually my ales and IPA's only have a very a very active krausen for 12 - 18 hours that gets going decently 12 - 18 hours after pitching the yeast. There isn't much going on in the remaining two to three weeks I keep it in the FV. At least not much going on visually, other than in the last few days the beer gets remarkably clear as everything falls out of suspension.

If you are depending on airlock bubbles to tell you anything..... don't.

If you are using a bucket that has a O-ring in the lid, then sometimes the lids have to be pressed down harder than you think to get the lids latches locked in place all around. But different bucket fermenters are different in that respect.

Taking 56 hours to start is longer than usual, but, assuming you mean it then fermented for 48 hours and then seems to have stopped, it's pretty normal to have a fairly short very active fermentation phase. Just leave it alone; it needs time to finish up.

If this is the Brewers Best Holiday Ale you posted about before, they recommend moving the beer to a secondary (a carboy) while it finishes and clarifies. I do this in my brewing, but it is an out of favor practice these days. If you do the secondary, move it on day 6 or 7, and leave it in the secondary for at least a week. You'll see it clearing.

Welcome to HBT. Is the Dinosaur BBQ still a good place in Syracuse?
Thanks - I will leave it alone for now and then to the carboy. Yes Dinosaur is still hopping.

Usually my ales and IPA's only have a very a very active krausen for 12 - 18 hours that gets going decently 12 - 18 hours after pitching the yeast. There isn't much going on in the remaining two to three weeks I keep it in the FV. At least not much going on visually, other than in the last few days the beer gets remarkably clear as everything falls out of suspension.

If you are depending on airlock bubbles to tell you anything..... don't.

If you are using a bucket that has a O-ring in the lid, then sometimes the lids have to be pressed down harder than you think to get the lids latches locked in place all around. But different bucket fermenters are different in that respect.
Thanks - I will let it sit and then go to the carboy.

Latest posts

Back