Where are you Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew in a San Francisco condo where space is a premium. The brew process is all in the kitchen on a gas stove. I don't have back yard access, but we do have a small rooftop deck. There is no a/c and it is a top floor unit so the ambient temperature in the summer inside is 74 - 78 degrees typically.

This weekend we successfully did our first all-grain batch. The stove can boil 4.5 gallons of wort pretty well, so we upped the hop bill to compensate and used cold top-off water. The rest of the cooling is from an ice bath in a Steralite container.

Some day I intend to buy a propane burner, wort chiller, and larger kettle to facilitate doing a full-boil on the roof deck (there is a water tap up there fortunately). The biggest issue is not cost but storage space for when I am not brewing. I am still looking for the right place to store my new 10 gallon Igloo mash tun!

For fermentation, given the high ambient temps, I put the glass carboy in the Steralite container with about an inch of water. Then put a wet t-shirt or towel around it and use a fan as well for the first few days. It's all about adapting.

So far (going to change when I finally finish my all-grain kit two years in the making), I brew in the kitchen and bottle (changing to kegging this summer) in the garage.

All the boil & cooling is done in the kitchen. But the rest happens in my man cave/ brewery.

Off topic I know, but can you provide any info on that fermenter in the center of your pic?

I picked one up as part of a "buy all my home brew stuff" Craigslist add, and it has become one of the staples of my brew house, but I can't find any info on it.

I swapped out that plastic spigot for a SS 1/2" ball valve on mine, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I assumed from the similarity that this was an early model of the Speidel fermenters which have become popular (and that I also love) but wasn't sure.

It's a Cooper's Micro Brew FV, the one they sold up to the point where they began marketing the DIY FV. I traded with another member once who also gave me spare parts for it. It can handle 6 gallon batches with plenty of head space. Or 5 gallon batches that produce a lot of krausen. I have a dry stout for my whiskely in it now.

Thanks @unionrdr! A quick google search for "Cooper's fermenter" reveals you are totally right! That solves my mystery! The guy I got mine from told me he hadn't ever actually used it as a fermenter, but it was his Star San bucket for years. It needed a little cleaning (nothing a PBW soak didn't solve), and I didn't like the plastic spigot, so I replaced mine with a 1/2" SS ball valve, and it's now one of the rock stars in my setup. I actually think I like it slightly better than my 30L Speidel due to the clear part in the lid so you can easily check in on things.

The reason I thought it might have been an early model Speidel was mainly due to those little ridges in the lid which both have and the manufacturer's markings on the bottom of both are nearly identical. I wonder if maybe Speidel did make these for Cooper's or perhaps they both just contract with the same vendor to have them made. Either way, it's a solid fermenter (for me at least).

Thanks @unionrdr! A quick google search for "Cooper's fermenter" reveals you are totally right! That solves my mystery! The guy I got mine from told me he hadn't ever actually used it as a fermenter, but it was his Star San bucket for years. It needed a little cleaning (nothing a PBW soak didn't solve), and I didn't like the plastic spigot, so I replaced mine with a 1/2" SS ball valve, and it's now one of the rock stars in my setup. I actually think I like it slightly better than my 30L Speidel due to the clear part in the lid so you can easily check in on things.

The reason I thought it might have been an early model Speidel was mainly due to those little ridges in the lid which both have and the manufacturer's markings on the bottom of both are nearly identical. I wonder if maybe Speidel did make these for Cooper's or perhaps they both just contract with the same vendor to have them made. Either way, it's a solid fermenter (for me at least).
It could be made by the same manufacturer? but since Cooper's in in Adelaide, Australia, I don't know?

On the back porch, which is right off the kitchen. I occasionally have to rig up a big piece of plywood to block the wind and keep the burner going strong. Other than that, no complaints.

I had to make a deal with SWMBO to go all grain~BIAB... Move from stove-top to outside back porch near the grill (propane!). I got a larger brew kettle, 8 gal MoreBeer, Camp Chef 60K BTU propane burner MoreBeer and Wilserbrewer BIAB. #Lovinit
Several batches under my belt with this set-up. Just made a "Mash Sweater" with Reflectix and held temps great on mash yesterday.
Thanks for all the forum help here!

BIAB.jpg

First seven batches were inside on my kitchen range - first one was extract and the rest have been 5-gallon BIAB in a 9-gallon kettle.

I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to heat up and humidify the house even more in the summer by brewing inside, so I just got an SP-10 and will brew my first outdoor batch this weekend. Houses in my neighborhood have attached carports, so I'll be brewing under that. My carport is perfectly oriented to be alee of prevailing winds, especially in winter, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

And one of best things about getting the burner is that my wife is *much* less annoyed by the idea of my taking up five or so hours of a weekend day brewing beer!

In the garage/driveway...makes for a great afternoon with neighbors. Usually smoke a porkbutt while brewing too and then we eat and [continue] drinking.

I do it in the garage. It's funny to me how a lot of people on here (who obviously live more northerly than I) say you can't wait for the summer to be able to brew outside. For me, between June and August/September is more of a pain than a pleasure to brew due to the heat here. Fall/Winter/Spring months are when I brew most frequently. However there is a beer festival here in September that I'm entering my brews into, so I'll have to be doing a bit of summer brewing this year. I brewed over Memorial Day weekend and it was already almost too hot.

2014-02-08 12.17.16.jpg

1618709_960324989554_1595505324_n.jpg

In the Kitchen!

All grain, all electric, and air conditioned. Since we don't have a garage (converted) or basement (California), it works out great. For now the brewery storage room is our third bedroom. I just wheel the brew cart out into the kitchen and it's ready to go. Let's hope my wife doesn't want another kid anytime soon. I may be looking for alternate storage.

Can you post a picture of your cart?

I'm going to be brewing in my small one-bedroom apartment and i'm wondering how on earth i'm going to organize all the equipment.

First seven batches were inside on my kitchen range - first one was extract and the rest have been 5-gallon BIAB in a 9-gallon kettle.

I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to heat up and humidify the house even more in the summer by brewing inside, so I just got an SP-10 and will brew my first outdoor batch this weekend. Houses in my neighborhood have attached carports, so I'll be brewing under that. My carport is perfectly oriented to be alee of prevailing winds, especially in winter, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

And one of best things about getting the burner is that my wife is *much* less annoyed by the idea of my taking up five or so hours of a weekend day brewing beer!

Burner shaved probably 40 minutes off my brew day. I had a couple boil overs, but otherwise it went really well. So much easier, cleaner, and less stressful than brewing on the range!

Burner shaved probably 40 minutes off my brew day. I had a couple boil overs, but otherwise it went really well. So much easier, cleaner, and less stressful than brewing on the range!

Brewing on the range sounds kinda cool to me?! Big sky, wort on the burner, meat in the bbq pit...what could be better?
Brew, brew on the range,
Where the hops & malt like to play,
Where seldom is heard, a bad boil over,
And the skies are not cloudy all day! :rockin:
Since my partial mashes are getting rather large (up to 8.7lbs!), I'm thinking a 10 gallon kettle & a burner may be needed in the near future. Nice to hear it's also a time saver.

I got my new July-August issue of BYO yesterday, & there on the 1st page was the Grainfather, in all it's T304 stainless glory! $890, but all electric with pump & all is calling me! I could set it up on the corner of the bottling table in my man cave/brewery & finally get everything in one place! Oh yeah...:rockin: MNow if I could just get it at best buy or home depot, I could use my credit card...

Brewing on the range sounds kinda cool to me?! Big sky, wort on the burner, meat in the bbq pit...what could be better?
Brew, brew on the range,
Where the hops & malt like to play,
Where seldom is heard, a bad boil over,
And the skies are not cloudy all day! :rockin:
Since my partial mashes are getting rather large (up to 8.7lbs!), I'm thinking a 10 gallon kettle & a burner may be needed in the near future. Nice to hear it's also a time saver.

Hah! It's easy to tell that you're a writer!

Definitely was a time saver. It usually takes around 35 minutes to get to strike temp, and again to get to boiling, on my stovetop. I was at strike temp in about 12 minutes this time, and at boiling in a little under 15 (and I even turned the burner down for a bit so I didn't get a huge boilover). Definitely a nice benefit to using the burner.

When you say all day do you mean 4 to 5 hours. My all grain brew day with set up and clean up will average of 5 hours my recommendation would be if you know your equipment and you hitting your numbers it doesn't really matter how long it takes. Enjoy

Yeah, about 5 hours or so. Depends on how much pain I'm in from my back & hips. I enjoy brewing, but not the pain from all the walking back & forth, standing, weight lifting & carrying, etc. So I got a cart to match my chrome wire shelf with a hook rack on one end for my spoons, paddles brushes,etc. Big enough for grain bucket, kettle, colander & other gadgets all at once to just roll from kitchen to brewery. That'll help a lot on the next & succeeding brew days. Handy on bottle washing day too. And I start getting pretty tired late in the day/early evening when it takes longer. So I need to make it faster & easier as much as I can at this point.

It depends on what I am brewing. If it's all grain then I do it outside because my stove can't boil that much water.

If I am doing an extract or small batch I will brew in the kitchen.

Same here, My all grain brew room is my enclosed porch. Extract or 3 gallon BIAB, which I only do mid-winter is in the kitchen.

Out the back on my Barbie side burner. In the bathroom (to cool wort). In our separate laundry (to ferment).

Currently I brew in the garage. My neighborhood has plenty of trees and there's always something flying in the wind. So the garage is the perfect get away from that. Plus, all my brew toys are in the garage so it's convenient for me to play brewmaster in the garage without having to go in and out of the house.

Back