Where are you Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieMC

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Where are you brewing? How is the environment and the conditions of the place? Is it at the kitchen, in a separate room, at the garage? If you have any pic to share ;)

I brew in the kitchen. It's just too hot and humid in Texas to be outside, and then I worry about bugs.

I also LOVE the smell the house has for the rest of the day!

I've recently moved, and have found that the glass top stove just doesn't do as well as the old stove. We are considering some sort of plug in burner, but I'm not so sure we can get one that works on 120v to do what we need as I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger pot (mine's 5 gals now but want an 8 as I do 6 gal batches), and SWMBO cans. I'd be OK with a drop in heating element too.

It depends on what I am brewing. If it's all grain then I do it outside because my stove can't boil that much water.

If I am doing an extract or small batch I will brew in the kitchen.

In my basement. I'm batteling bugs every day. I wish I lived closer to the equator, since I love just relaxing in the hammock and playing with the dogs outside during the summer during brewday, which is only about three months here, I have a door going straight into our yard from the basement.

It's a pretty SWHBO free area, she occasionaly pokes her head out one of the windows from the second or third floor, and since she's a celiak the smell of a brewday reminds her of "GLUTEN, OMG!" and the door down to the basement is suddenly shut if I forgot to close it. I've asked her several times if she wants to join for a clarity ferm brew, and she says yes, but nothing happens :(

I brew outside, even in the winter. It takes more gas during the winter here in Maine, but I can still get a boil in my 15 gallon pot.

Most of the time I brew outside the basement door, under the deck. that way I'm in the shade in the summer, and not in three feet of snow in the winter. It's also a bit of a wind break there, and I can duck back in the house if I'm cold/hot.

My last few batches I have put my burner and pot on a pallet with a small piece of plywood, to get some more elevation. Otherwise I can only fill my last fermenter about half way. Other than that, my mash tun sits on a table in the basement, and I have my sparge/bottling bucket on a chair, on the table to give it enough elevation over the mash tun. I drain the wort from the mash tun into buckets or my 7 gallon pot, and dump them into the boil pot.

It's not a great set up, but it works for now.

Hey everybody! Where are you brewing? How is the environment and the conditions of the place? Is it at the kitchen, in a separate room, at the garage? If you have any pic to share ;)

I usually brew on my deck, except last weekend when I was chased down into the driveway by over 1000 bees who had apparently set up shop in my capped gutters. :eek:

Here in CT I can pretty much brew outside year round. Unless it's really cold and snowy but I enjoy brewing outside. If I'm not outside I'm in the garage with the door open. The wife said no more kitchen after a few boil overs on the new stove. I all grain brew now and the kitchen is not big enough to accommodate the equipment. All my equipment is organized in the garage and my system can roll outside pretty easily so the driveway works pretty well.
Cheers!

I brew in the garage on a burner. burner just outside the door. I brewed once in the kitchen when I was brewing extract I didn't like it. If I tried to brew all grain in the kitchen now, my swmbo would not be pleased. In Corona ca the garage can get pretty hot during the summer but its a labor of love.

All grain, propane, in the basement, concrete floors for easy clean up, plenty of ventilation, all of my equipment and supplies are within arms reach, large utility sink for water supply and wash-up, no weather concerns. Thankfully, my wife likes the results.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

In the Kitchen!

All grain, all electric, and air conditioned. Since we don't have a garage (converted) or basement (California), it works out great. For now the brewery storage room is our third bedroom. I just wheel the brew cart out into the kitchen and it's ready to go. Let's hope my wife doesn't want another kid anytime soon. I may be looking for alternate storage.

I built a small workshop/shed/mancave in my backyard and designed the brewery to be a part of it. I brew out there. I have to say that having a dedicated space where the brew equipment is both stored and used has been a game-changer. So nice to have things ready to go without having to haul out a bunch of gear. I'm in NC, so this time of year it's basically a necessity to brew early in the morning before it gets really hot. Not a problem though - I prefer the early morning brew session and rock it all year long.

Cheers.

I just moved a few weeks ago and the new house has a garden shed. I have partially taken this over as my brewing space/storage area.

Here are a few pictures.

shed.jpg

shed2.jpg

I brew a mixture

I do my strike water and sparge on the stove and mash in the kitchen then I do my boil outside in the yard and move to ferment into the chamber in the garage

I brew a mixture

I do my strike water and sparge on the stove and mash in the kitchen then I do my boil outside in the yard and move to ferment into the chamber in the garage

Very similar to me. I BIAB mash and boil outside due to my wife banishing me and the smell to the great outdoors. I chill as far as I can outside and finish with an ice bath in the kitchen sink. Brew bucket goes into the minifridge fermentation chamber in the garage. Bottled brew goes in a spare bathroom to age, then back to the larger beer fridge in the garage.

In the driveway or right at the garage door if weather is bad.
I have a 5' x 8' "brew shed" that I put an 8' x 8' deck in front of it. It's for storage of the brewing stand and half my brew stuff. I sometimes just roll the stand out and brew right there on the deck if it's nice out.
I have my hops growing around that deck to a central point (a large tree branch about 16' up) right above the deck.

In the driveway, right in front of a detached garage. In the winter, the garage is for shelter. In the summer, it's for shade.

(Right two garages are mine. The left is my neighbor's.)

image.jpg

Summertime brewing in South Florida

Dude where in South Fl?

That looks a lot like Pembroke Pines.

I brew on my patio under a pop up tent, so long as it's not storming out.

I spend the majority of the time during the mash and boil inside watching from my couch.

My patio is right outside my sliding glass door so I can see everything going on without having to stand in the sauna that is South Florida summer. :mug:

In a Condo in Malaysia 500 mile round trip for supplies!! Brew in kitchen on a gas stove mash in a cooler have to split the boil as stove won't get 5 gallons to a good boil!! Have to cool with ice and ice bottles as the tap water temp is too high !!! But I still manage to make pretty amazing beers!!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406773239.079545.jpgq

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually brew on my deck, except last weekend when I was chased down into the driveway by over 1000 bees who had apparently set up shop in my capped gutters. :eek:

OMG!!! I suppose that's already taken care of

In the driveway or right at the garage door if weather is bad.
I have a 5' x 8' "brew shed" that I put an 8' x 8' deck in front of it. It's for storage of the brewing stand and half my brew stuff. I sometimes just roll the stand out and brew right there on the deck if it's nice out.
I have my hops growing around that deck to a central point (a large tree branch about 16' up) right above the deck.

You grow your own hops? Or did I missunderstood

Dude where in South Fl?

That looks a lot like Pembroke Pines.

I brew on my patio under a pop up tent, so long as it's not storming out.

I spend the majority of the time during the mash and boil inside watching from my couch.

My patio is right outside my sliding glass door so I can see everything going on without having to stand in the sauna that is South Florida summer. :mug:

You got it, firerat. Out by US 27 where it gets mighty steamy.

If you want pics there are many in a couple of other threads but as to your questions...

Hey everybody! Where are you brewing? How is the environment and the conditions of the place? Is it at the kitchen, in a separate room, at the garage? If you have any pic to share

I brew outside using a 15 gallon kettle and SP-10 burner when the weather is not horridly hot and I want to do 10 gallon batches. I brew inside using a 10 gallon pot and an induction cook top on my kitchen table for most brews nowadays. The conditions are great either way because I control them. ;)

Biggest issue inside is the chiller. The faucet is an odd-size and I cannot get a fitting that allows me to attach it right so I have to jimmy rig it. It is semi annoying but I deal with it.

I brew BIAB outside on the deck, by the kitchen door. I'll be out there all year if it's between 0-100. I just have go into the kitchen to do "dishes" and if there is a sugary accident on the deck, I just hose it off.

I extract brew (I'm still a newbie to all of this) in my Chicago west-suburb apartment on the second floor on the electric range. Fermentation chamber/Future kegerator combo is in the living room, though may move it out into the kitchen as well.

I extract brew (I'm still a newbie to all of this) in my Chicago west-suburb apartment on the second floor on the electric range

I hear ya! I'm doing all grain in my 3rd story walk-up in Oak Park. Luckily, the place came with a gas stove.. but no central air. My "ferm chamber" is my bedroom where I keep the window unit running 24 hours a day and my fermenting beer in a CoolFerment bag loaded with frozen water bottles. Gas stove, central air and an outdoor brewing space are now pre-requisites for my next apartment

Latest posts

Back