when you keg dont you loose the improvement gained during bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
I thought that letting beer age in the bottles improved it because the yeast keep working at the beer in there. don't you lose this advantage when keging?

You can age a keg as well. You should leave your keg for two weeks anyway, at least, to carb up the right way and to not drink green beer. So that is usually when people start to crack open their bottles anyway. So if you are brewing a barleywine probably wouldn't work the best.

You can age in a keg but it seems MOST people keg and drink so . . .yes. From what I have observed most keggers are kegging for 2 reason - they hate botteling OR they want to drink their beer NOW.

HOWEVER - good brewers not in a hurry do age their beer in a keg.

You can age in a keg but it seems MOST people keg and drink so . . .yes. From what I have observed most keggers are kegging for 2 reason - they hate botteling OR they want to drink their beer NOW.

HOWEVER - good brewers not in a hurry do age their beer in a keg.

when keg aging do you age at room temp unpressurized?

You can prime a keg the same way you do when bottling. Just use about half the sugar you would use in bottling and put it in the keg before racking your beer on top. What I do from there is hook up the co2 in just because my keg won't seal unless I do that, then unhook the co2 line and Then I put it in the closet for a few weeks to carb up and age then when my other keg kicks or the beer is ready I hook it up and chill

aging is more about mellowing flavors and allowing esters that are initially stronger but degrade with time the yeast that is used in bottle conditioning is there to consume priming sugars to create co2 it will then settle to the bottom of the vessel. Even if you filtered all the yeast out and put it in a keg the beer would still benifit from aging for a week or two. Of coarse some styles benifit from long term aging that mellows flavors and will oxidise the beer which is acceptable in some styles.

Back