when to use types of hops to avoid off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnidelyWhiplash

Reaction score
Trying to figure out all the flavors and how to avoid things people complain about, and want to get comments and post for others. Please add any experiences.

too much dry hopping gives a grassy aroma/flavor
High cohumulone hops in general make bitterness harsher.
CTZ - good for aroma in moderate amounts, too pungent to add a lot at flavor or aroma, can give onion flavor
Summit - good tangerine flavor from late addition or aroma from dry hopping, but if boiled long or depending on when the hops were harvested, gives onion/garlic flavors
Citra - Aroma only. gives cat piss or other bad flavors if boiled long
Simcoe - cat piss flavor if used in high amounts - is this more cause by boiling or dry hopping
Chinook - some people comment it has a lesser amount of cat piss flavor

I only hop burst (all hops are added from the 20 minute to flameout) so I avoid most of these issues. But here is what I've found:

Since the grassyness usually shows up with really long dry hopping periods, as long as you keep it to a week or so your fine.

Summit- The onion/garlic is rather strange. I used it before I read of the onion garlic, but then when I went to dry hop with it, I picked up a hint. I think its one of those "don't think of a white horse" which makes you think of a white horse. Either way, 2 months later it was fantastic and only tangerine.

Citra is simply unstoppable in terms of aroma and flavor so there is really no reason to bitter with it...thus avoiding the possible off flavors

Back