When to pull the pulp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I making fig wine for the first time and have a lot of questions. The recipe I used calls for me to pull the pulp, the seeds and skins, of the figs out of the fermenter after 5-7 days and top up with more water. I had timing issues in getting my figs, which go bad shockingly fast, and will have to go out of town on the 11th of June. We are leaving at 6 am and there is no way for me to do it the day of. If I do it the day before, it will be a day early. If I wait until after the trip it will be 3 days after the recommended max. Does anyone have advice about which method is best? Sorry if this is a stupid question, my family threw me into this and due to the nature of figs, I didn't have time to do proper research like I normally do when I brew beer. I know a lot of people haven't used figs, but I am looking for any general advice.

Thanks!

Novice here but:

The longer they are in there the more flavors (good or bad) can develop. They have explained like black tea bags. The longer your tea bag is in the water, the stronger the taste is. Skin and seeds may have bitter or other flavors that can transfer to the wine the longer they are in there.
Don't expect the finished product to taste exactly like what you and the recipe expect. Also make note of this in your log. You may end up with a product you very much like and will want to remember what you did to make it.
On the other hand, you can pull them a day early (personally I would do this)... and won't risk the potential of additional unwanted flavors, but your desired flavor may not be as strong as you wish. Again take note and put it in your log if you do this. You may very well like how this option turns out.
Up to you which way you want to go.

That's what I was afraid of in regards to the off flavors. I've been brewing for about nine months so I'm pretty good about my log books

I'm thinking as of now, I will be pulling the pulp out tomorrow. I more afraid of the bad flavors produced by leaving it too long

I would leave the pulp in if the sg is above 1.020. Airlock the cover if leaving it unstirred for the three days. Take it out if you want but there is a 99.999% chance you will be perfectly safe leaving the pulp in a few extra days. I would be more concerned with loss of flavor then bad flavors. Also with early pulled fruit you can often get a seconds wine from them. It does not sound like you will have time to make a seconds at this time.
If the sg is below 1.000 then you can take out the fruit with no loss of flavor. Between 1.020-1.000 is in limbo. Either way will work. Kinda personal prefference more then anything.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Hmmm. I'll get it a gravity reading for I do anything. I may have made a mistake though in that it's had a lid on with an airlock for days. That may have been the brewer in me

Well I went to take a gravity reading today and it came out like it was fully carbonated. It almost fizzed over the sample jar. The airlock is going nuts, more than I saw it earlier. I can see bubbles going to the top through the bucket wall and the bag of fruit is floating in the top. The sample is still bubbling to the point where I cannot get an accurate reading. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point.

It has a long way to go. It is is full ferment:). Leave it be for now. Retest the sg when you come back. Whenever a must is that active it is safe to say it is fermenting just fine! No need to attemp an sg reading:).
Seince you have already airlocked it, leave it as is untill you come back. Next time don't bother to airlock it untill it is over the active part of its ferment. Its better to stirr it twice daily to help releive those gassy bubbles and to keep the fruit submerged. No need for airlock during active ferment. Besides, its a bother to pop that lid off twice daily, a towel is way easier!
I was just gone for three days and my slowly fermenting wine was just fine without my bothering it. Temps are finnely up and so is the fermentaion speed:). Its about time!!!

It has a long way to go. It is is full ferment:). Leave it be for now. Retest the sg when you come back. Whenever a must is that active it is safe to say it is fermenting just fine! No need to attemp an sg reading:).
Seince you have already airlocked it, leave it as is untill you come back. Next time don't bother to airlock it untill it is over the active part of its ferment. Its better to stirr it twice daily to help releive those gassy bubbles and to keep the fruit submerged. No need for airlock during active ferment. Besides, its a bother to pop that lid off twice daily, a towel is way easier!
I was just gone for three days and my slowly fermenting wine was just fine without my bothering it. Temps are finnely up and so is the fermentaion speed:). Its about time!!!

Thank you!!!

Back