When to add yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozmod123

Reaction score
The yeast nutrient I have says add 1 tsp per gallon. I have seen some people say add it a little at a time. If that's the case how often should take the airlock off to add it.

As long as fermentation is still going, removing the airlock is pretty low risk. The co2 produced by fermentation pushes the oxygen out. Just make sure whatever you use to measure the nutrient is sanitized and the time of the airlock off minimized and the risk should be almost negligible.

All of the pros I know use the latest TONSA 2 nutrient schedule here which uses Goferm at startup followed by four Fermaid-O additions
http://www.meadmaderight.com/info.html

Also you should degas twice a day for the first 1/2 and once a day until you get to at least the 1/3 sugar point.

I've used this on several meads and achieved 110 point gravity drops in as little as two weeks. Less stress on the yeast means fewer off flavors and less aging required as well.

Back