When moving to a secondary, do you add priming sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
to the secondary vessel, or do you wait until you bottle/keg to add the priming sugar?

There will be plenty of yeast to do the job if even if you've secondaried for nearly a year. OR if you opt to skip secondary altogether and do what many of us do and leave our beer in primary for a month.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

I'm mainly asking because I'm wondering how to get the yeast cake from forming in the bottom 1/8" of the bottle. Will a secondary vessel eliminate this from forming, or can I help to eliminate this by leaving it in the primary for longer?

I'm mainly asking because I'm wondering how to get the yeast cake from forming in the bottom 1/8" of the bottle. Will a secondary vessel eliminate this from forming, or can I help to eliminate this by leaving it in the primary for longer?

If your bottle conditioning with priming sugar, I don't think there is a way around this.

You will always have some sediment in bottle conditioned beers. It's really no big deal. You also have it in many commercial micro brews (in fact many of us harvest that yeast)

Read this... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/filter-183812/#post2128262

ANd also my posts in the Jamil thread. I primary for a month, and do nothing else, and I have very little sediment in my beers.

so how do large breweries avoid the yeast cake from forming in the bottle?

so how do large breweries avoid the yeast cake from forming in the bottle?
They filter and/or pasteurize the beer, then use pure CO2 to pressure-carb the bottles. Many homebrewers also keg and pressure-carb, though few if any bother to filter or pasteurize. If having a very slight sediment in your bottles bothers you (it could hardly be called a yeast cake), then go with a keg setup.

They do not bottle condition to carbonate. The beer is pasteurized and filtered and carbonated while bottling.

edit - wow frazier - same post same time... lol

ok, so i should just leave my brew in the primary for longer (up to 3 weeks) and then bottle or keg, and not worry about the sediment left in the bottom of the bottle...correct?

correct.

you will have some sediment (unless you filter which is not necessary). Just leave the last little bit in the bottle when you pour it. No biggie.

Latest posts

Back