When is the best time to add yeast energizer, yeast nutrient etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner_at_Work

Reaction score
Im making apple cider, and want to know which order and when to add these four ingredients, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, gelatin finings, and campden tablets. when is the "best" time to add them all and in what order. thank you in advance.

I don't use gelatin or other finings, but that is usually added before bottling, long after the cider is done.

You won't need yeast energizer as a rule, so I wouldn't add that unless there was a problem.

So, that leaves campden and yeast nutrient. You add the campden when you mix up the ingredients, if not using pasteurized cider. You can add the yeast nutrient at that time, if you are using it. Twelve hours after adding the campden you can add the pectic enzyme and then twelve hours later, add your chosen yeast strain.

I have been wondering about energizer also, since my cider ferments so slowly (compared to beer) -- due to the lack of nutrients and only having simple sugars? I know that mead makers have a well documented regimen of additions of O2, DAP, and Energizer. Has anything like that been looked into for cider?

I have been wondering about energizer also, since my cider ferments so slowly (compared to beer) -- due to the lack of nutrients and only having simple sugars? I know that mead makers have a well documented regimen of additions of O2, DAP, and Energizer. Has anything like that been looked into for cider?

yes add the yeast energizer to the cider it will speed things up, a professional ciederist(not a word) told me. and yeast nutrient u dont need but i think is good to speed things up too

Twelve hours after adding the campden you can add the pectic enzyme and then twelve hours later, add your chosen yeast strain.

wait are u saying add the yeast strain(as in champagne yeast, which im using) at the end?

what do u mean by yeast strain, i assume u talking about champagne yeast that i will be using, i thought i would add that first thing, but u saying i would add it twelve hours after all the other ingredients?

and i will be using the energizer too

Part of the reason for the regiment of nutrient and degassing for mead makers it that mead has an OG well north of 1.100. Cider, on the other hand, tends to be nowhere near that.

Doing something like this with cider might help, or it might just be overkill.

Day 0: After re-hdyrating the yeast with Go-Ferm and pitching, add 4.5g of Fermaid-K and 2g Diammonium Phosphate (DAP)
Day 1, 3, 5, 7, 8: Degas mead by gently stirring, twirling the carboy carefully, or using a wine de-gasser
Day 2, 4, 6: Gently stir and add 4.5g Fermaid-K and 2g of DAP
NOTE: When degassing and/or adding nutrients, do so very slowly to avoid foaming.

You don't need nutrients or energizers for cider at all. I use nutrients with an energizer because I don't want my cider to struggle and I tend to drink it quickly after racking.

Mead is a different animal because honey doesn't have any nutrients for the yeast. So there is a staggered yeast schedule but if you have read the recent Hydromel article on this website the author indicates he just adds it all with the yeast. I have done both. I think the staggered is more important for high ABV meads. Mine taste like **** because they are 14% abv and so young. I am not sure if that has anything to do with staggered addition or not but it might. Hydromels are lower ABV, I am making a 8.5% so I understand that the staggered addition isn't that important.

Im making apple cider, and want to know which order and when to add these four ingredients, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, gelatin finings, and campden tablets. when is the "best" time to add them all and in what order. thank you in advance.

1. Add Campden tablets / sulfites (same thing) to your must (apple juice).
Note: You then are required to wait 24 hours before adding yeast because the campden can stop the fermentation from starting as its a yeast killer (wild yeast).

2. 24 hours later I add yeast nutrients, energizer and pectin enzyme (I do not use fining agents).

3.Then right after this you add your yeast and aerate by mixing or shaking the carboy/must.

1. Add Campden tablets / sulfites (same thing) to your must (apple juice).
Note: You then are required to wait 24 hours before adding yeast because the campden can stop the fermentation from starting as its a yeast killer (wild yeast).

2. 24 hours later I add yeast nutrients, energizer and pectin enzyme (I do not use fining agents).

3.Then right after this you add your yeast and aerate by mixing or shaking the carboy/must.

thank you, and im using store bought apple cider juice, not picked apples, so is the pectic enzyme necessary for my case?

thank you, and im using store bought apple cider juice, not picked apples, so is the pectic enzyme necessary for my case?

Is it clear juice? Then you wont need it. If it isn't clear juice, then you probably will. I find that I should have used it in mine because the cider isn't clearing. Pectic Enzyme is really only to get the pectins that are floating in suspension to drop out, so the only thing that would happen if you didn't use it, is that it would not be a clear, but rather a hazy cider.

I use yeast nutrient in every batch. It helps to get fermentation started, and eliminates the possibility of 'rino farts'. Energizer is usually used for kicking a stalled ferment. I've never used it.

Pectic enzyme helps the cider clear. I add nutrient and pectic enzyme when I pitch the yeast. Works for me.

Back