When do I add the sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrown08

Reaction score
I'm following the How-to-Brew book by Palmer and I am using the boil method for my LME. I have coopers brand LME and Brew enhancer 1.

My question is, when do I add the BE1 to the mix? Do I add it during the boil, or do I add it after I pour the boil into the fermenter? Thanks!

I had to look up what that was and it looks like it's 70% dextrose / 30% maltodextrin so I'd say add it to the boil.

The only think you add AFTER the boil is yeast - well - bourbon, oak chips, dry hops and so forth I suppose.

I added it at the end of the boil, so it didnt boil for very long. It still all looked pretty good when i poured it into the fermenter. I didn't have any sugar stuck to the bottom or clumps or anything

You'll be fine. I still do an occasional Coopers kit, and Mr. Beer for that matter, when I want to brew something simple and not have to haul out the big kettle, propane tank, etc. I can do it as a partial boil on the stove top without any problems. Personally, I usually boil my DME/Dextrose/Malto Dextrin (similar to your BE1) in a couple gallons of water for about ten minutes and then take it off the heat to add the can of extract. I then cool the wort in a water bath for 30 minutes and top off to six gallons in the fermenter. So far, it makes beer everytime.

You'll be fine. I still do an occasional Coopers kit, and Mr. Beer for that matter, when I want to brew something simple and not have to haul out the big kettle, propane tank, etc. I can do it as a partial boil on the stove top without any problems. Personally, I usually boil my DME/Dextrose/Malto Dextrin (similar to your BE1) in a couple gallons of water for about ten minutes and then take it off the heat to add the can of extract. I then cool the wort in a water bath for 30 minutes and top off to six gallons in the fermenter. So far, it makes beer everytime.

This is pretty much exactly what I did. This is my second batch so I wanted to try the boil method. On my first batch I just dumped everything in like coopers instructions said, but learned that the boil method can create some better flavors. Sounds like I'll be ok. thanks!

I would add 10 min before the end of the boil.

Noted for next time, will do.

Although how long should I boil the LME? I'm not adding anything else other than the sugar, so should I go for around 20-30 minutes? I went for somewhere between 20-30.

Back