Wheat with neutral yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
I would say nearly all the wheat beers that I have tasted are pretty heavy on the ester/phenolic flavors which I really don't care for therefore I have avoided wasting time brewing them.

In the SMaSH vein I was curious if anyone has brewed a 'wheat beer' with a neutral yeast strain such as S-05, pacman, etc.

If you have what flavors did you get from the wheat malt?

If you have not, what flavors would you expect?

Looking forward to people's responses.

American wheat beer recipes (not American hefeweizens) often use S-05 for fermentation. I made a honey wheat with S-05, turned out great. I used extract though, so I'm not sure if it'd impart the same flavors as malted wheat.

pretty much all 'american wheat' beers are fermented with a neutral ale strain. so you will get more of the bready character of the wheat malt without the esters and phenols that come with the german hefeweizen strains. think sunshine wheat, boulevard wheat, easy street wheat, etc. are all neutral yeast american wheat beers. it makes for a very nice, crisp, easy drinking beer.

Wyyeast makes an American Wheat strain (1010 I think) that is great. I used and re-used it about 5 ot 6 time last year on wheats and non-wheat ales. Good stuff! Goes really nice with fruit flavored wheat beers.

Thanks fellas. I'm probably going to revisit a wheat, fermented w/ a neutral strain or perhaps the Wyeast American wheat strain.

Back