Belgian Yeast and Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How important is it to use special wheat yeast for beers with a lot of wheat in them?

I have a heavy beer coming up. I based the idea on a tripel, but I decided to use 37% wheat. I use WLP500, which is a Trappist ale yeast. I know the recipe works.

So I guess I wonder how yeast manufacturers and brewers decide a yeast is or is not for wheat beer. I guess it must be based on past performance, not on a yeast's ability or inability to ferment sugars that come from wheat.

I mean most yeasts will ferment wort with whatever the grist is comprised of. It's more a stylistic thing to use those types of yeast that are POF+ and give off the esters that are commonly found in wheat beers. There are quite a few beers that have wheat in the grist and typical ale yeasts are used. I say do what makes you happy, you'll get beer either way.

As far as I know, you can use any yeast with wheat. And if you biab, you can use almost any amount of wheat.
I assume the ones called "wheat yeast" are the ones that resemble a German weißen or a Belgian wit.

The term "wheat yeast" or "weizen yeast" is based on tradition alone. The same is now largely true of "Belgian yeast", and anything else for that matter. Of course you can use any yeast for any style with any amounts of any non-barley malts. Just don't be surprised if your beer turns out hazy and/or with clove and banana, or lack thereof, when the yeast is known to produce or not produce such characteristics.

Back