Wheat clearing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I did my first AG batch, a wheat, how long does it need to sit in the primary? It's been about 12 days and I would like to bottle; I normally wait three weeks but I wondering if I could cheat a littel b/c it's a wheat beer. Is it worth the extra week of sitting there?

What do the gravities say? Once that settles, you can bottle. Wheats are one of those styles that are good early.

I haven't opened it up yet, but you think if I hit FG i'm ready?

Might want to make sure it stay constant for a couple days in a row, but yes.

I did my first AG batch, a wheat, how long does it need to sit in the primary? It's been about 12 days and I would like to bottle; I normally wait three weeks but I wondering if I could cheat a littel b/c it's a wheat beer. Is it worth the extra week of sitting there?

I had the same question a couple weeks ago...was told that hefe's can be bottled early (immediately after reaching FG), but can also be left to age in the fermenter. The longer it sits on the yeast the more estery it will get. so it's just a matter of preference depending on how you want your beer to end up. I let mine ferment 4 weeks and when I bottled it (last week) the wort tasted great!

Wheat yeast or hefe yeast? If it's a hefe yeast, it has probably cleared up as much as it will.

Back