Wheat beer fermentation under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axborn

Reaction score
In short:
What pressure to set when fermenting beers that require ester production, e.g. wheat beers, just to suppress krauzen formation?

Long story:
Was making a wheat beer in Fermzilla all rounder. Had to use a blow off valve at the start as the krauzen was trying to escape. Towards the end added a spunding valve for carbonation.
Now the problem arose when I tried to take off the lid collar... No soaking in hot chemicals, unlimited strength of two men, that specialized opening belt tool would budge it. Proof attached 😅
I think some krauzen foam got into the threads and glued shut because the lid was closed by hands as usual. The only difference was the fermentation without pressure at the start.

Side question: do you use any librication for plastic fetmentation lids?

Attachments

• DD81F005-4F06-4FB6-B73C-02D4B409641C.png
    DD81F005-4F06-4FB6-B73C-02D4B409641C.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
You shouldn't tighten the lid much. I only do about a half inch to inch of rotation after the ring hits the cap. Never lost pressure and I get my collar off by hand every time. I use keg lube on the cap gasket but maybe not a bad idea to put some on the threads. Don't think it could hurt.

Also, you vented the pressure before trying to take it off, right?

all rounder is all wrinkled
At this point it looks like from a Picasso painting :D
Will get a replacement soon...

You shouldn't tighten the lid much. I only do about a half inch to inch of rotation after the ring hits the cap. Never lost pressure and I get my collar off by hand every time. I use keg lube on the cap gasket but maybe not a bad idea to put some on the threads. Don't think it could hurt.

Also, you vented the pressure before trying to take it off, right?
Yes, there wasn't any pressure in, although I've people saying that it's easier for them to take the collar of when it has a little pressure.

Anyway, as a last resort I soaked it in hot water and eventually it came off.
But still had to apply lots of pressure and was disappointed not to find any gunk on the threads.
Must had done something stupid and will make sure now to apply lube on the threads and not to over-tighten the collar.

All of my beers get fermented in stainless kegmenters and I do the ciders and mead in Speidel fermenters.
The Speidels are nice, heavy duty with handles, NorCal l has made a bunch of accessories for them and the way the top goes on is great as well, the seal doesn't get twisted. They can also hold pressure.

In short:
What pressure to set when fermenting beers that require ester production, e.g. wheat beers, just to suppress krauzen formation?

Long story:
Was making a wheat beer in Fermzilla all rounder. Had to use a blow off valve at the start as the krauzen was trying to escape. Towards the end added a spunding valve for carbonation.
Now the problem arose when I tried to take off the lid collar... No soaking in hot chemicals, unlimited strength of two men, that specialized opening belt tool would budge it. Proof attached 😅
I think some krauzen foam got into the threads and glued shut because the lid was closed by hands as usual. The only difference was the fermentation without pressure at the start.

Side question: do you use any librication for plastic fetmentation lids?
I have same fermenter and don't really have any problems. I do similar things as to what @Off Balance Brewing mentioned. As for helping with krausen, I wouldn't go more than 2-3 psi if you want to maximize your banana and clove flavors. You could just utilized a blow off tube and sanitizer for first part of fermentation and then replace with spunding valve as you mentioned. I'll do this with the english bitters I brew and it works great.

NO PRESSURE for hefes...you will not like the bland results. blow off tube until the krausen blow off stops. Then you may spund to a low PSI.

Back