Wheat Ale on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I'm looking to throw together a wheat ale on the cheap, possibly add some mango to it. I have yeast, equipment, etc; no hops though. I was thinking maybe doing an extract brew was the way to go. Any suggestions on what / where to buy? Last time I did extract brewing it was in a kit but I figured I'd try my hand at more "free styling" it but am a little lost on the ingredents I need and the best / cheapest place to buy them. Thanks in advance!

Idk about the best sources, I just bought a wheat beer kit from midwest supplies for $23. It's all extract and will be my first beer.

Extract isn't cheaper than grain. You don't need a lot of hops for a wheat beer, but you need some. I guess you already have a pot? If you want to go cheap, get whatever grain your recipe calls for, a BIAB bag (about $10) and a 5 gallon round cooler from Walmart (about $20). You can add a spigot (another $20-30?) or be cheap and skip that. Mash in the cooler, pull the bag/grains out, put bag/grains in kettle that has heated sparge water in it. Dunk, stir or otherwise agitate the bag/grain, then pull the bag/grains out again. Pour the wort that's in the cooler into the kettle, and you're ready to boil. You can add equipment and fine tune your process later. Have some wheat extract on hand in case you don't hit your numbers.
There's a lot of steps/details I left out, so ask any questions you may have.....
Where to buy? Buying online may be cheaper than your local homebrew store, maybe not. First stop should be HBT sponsors, many have great prices and service.

I just brewed my kit this morning, it was very simple and again for $23 including the yeast it seems decent. It was 6 pounds of wheat malt extract ( 65% wheat 35% barley) 2 oz. Hops and the yeast.

Use a brewing calculator for figuring it a good level of IBU and ingredients, but if I am feeling lazy and want to make a "quick and dirty" wheat beer I generally go with something like

1.5kg wheat DME
15ibu hops (late addition for extra flavour, Amarillo is a favourite for me since I love to flavour and ha e a but iver a lb left.)
Yeast

Super simply and quick plus you can always add to it with Partial mashing, steeping or fruit quite simply.

Use a brewing calculator for figuring it a good level of IBU and ingredients, but if I am feeling lazy and want to make a "quick and dirty" wheat beer I generally go with something like

1.5kg wheat DME
15ibu hops (late addition for extra flavour, Amarillo is a favourite for me since I love to flavour and ha e a but iver a lb left.)
Yeast

Super simply and quick plus you can always add to it with Partial mashing, steeping or fruit quite simply.
is this for a 8-10 liter batch?

Did a quick calculation and it looks right for a 5% beer w 10 L in the fermenter

Back