What's your least favorite micro brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to add a vote for Red Hook also.

I had my pick locally it would be Troegs. I have tried so many different beers form them and there is none that I would buy a 12 or 24 pack of. Sam Adams Boston Lager is not a favorite of mine either for a well known and highly advertised beer. I try to put them down, but it almost requires a chaser.

Being from York, PA, I am surprise that the initial post was about Lancaster Brewing Company. They have some really bad beers, but there Hop Hog, Milk Stout, and Strawberry I think are good. If you come back out this way I have found my favorite brewery in Lancaster and that is Iron Hill. If you are into wheat beers, the summer time is heaven in there. They have a great Raspberry Wheat and about 6 or 8 other wonderful wheat beers. I tried there whole selection of about 20 beers and only 2 did I not like.

My experience has been the opposite. I've liked everything I've had from Troegs - especially the Nugget Nectar. Only had it in bottles though...maybe it's different at the pub.

That's a difficult one. Sam Adams hardly qualifies as a Microbrewery, otherwise it would take the top (or bottom?) spot for me. I like their Oktoberfest and the Cranberry Wit from the Longshot pack, but their other beers have generally disappointed me.

I don't think I've ever had a Sam Adams beer I didn't like. Even the ones that are so-so seems to be of good quality. Each to his own I guess.

Gotta defend Red Hook. For a good while, their ESB was my favorite everyday beer, and was a couple of ticks cheaper than other craft brews. I still think it's a great session beer.

I was also surprised to see Troegs listed, as I think their Hopback Amber alone keeps them off of this list.

I found the Bethlehem Brew Works in Bethlehem, PA, to be a disappointment. They seemed to have the same water issues I've had here, but the difference is that I've worked on and largely resolved mine. I also thought the Chelsea Brewing Company in NYC made some of the most unremarkable beers I've had.

To atone for my griping, let me give a shoutout to Highland Brewing in Asheville NC and Smuttynose- two of the best going, imo.

Have to say that the Lancaster Brewing Company actually in Lancaster, PA has some very nice brews on tap. I've sampled all 12 taps in an afternoon and didn't find a 'loser' among them. Most were fine and a couple....actually quite nice. I'm not sure you can say a place 'sucks' just from one visit.

True, I guess they don't "suck" - their food was good. None of the brews grabbed me though.

They can be hit and miss. Their Oatmeal Stout is usually good though.

Yep, that's my go-to. Though if I'm in midtown and want a beer, I'll walk over to the Ginger Man. The one at Union Square seemed pretty decent to me. Anyone that can provide a quiet spot and a cold beer when I'm hot and thirsty in the city is my friend.

Gotta defend Red Hook. For a good while, their ESB was my favorite everyday beer, and was a couple of ticks cheaper than other craft brews. I still think it's a great session beer.

I was also surprised to see Troegs listed, as I think their Hopback Amber alone keeps them off of this list.

I found the Bethlehem Brew Works in Bethlehem, PA, to be a disappointment. They seemed to have the same water issues I've had here, but the difference is that I've worked on and largely resolved mine. I also thought the Chelsea Brewing Company in NYC made some of the most unremarkable beers I've had.

To atone for my griping, let me give a shoutout to Highland Brewing in Asheville NC and Smuttynose- two of the best going, imo.

Agree with all that, except I can't speak for Bethlehem Brew Works - never tried 'em. I just recently got to try (on a trip to NC) Highland's Gaelic Ale and Oatmeal Porter - good quality stuff. I loved Smuttynose Portsmouth Lager, but they don't seem to make it any more.

Yep, that's my go-to. Though if I'm in midtown and want a beer, I'll walk over to the Ginger Man. The one at Union Square seemed pretty decent to me. Anyone that can provide a quiet spot and a cold beer when I'm hot and thirsty in the city is my friend.

Haven't been to the Ginger Man yet. I'll be going in a couple of weeks though. Their selection looks top-notch.

I can't see boycotting a beer just for their association with INBEV (it's not AB anymore). Unless there is a distinct drop in quality, then it's a non-issue. Think about it from the Red Hook angle. You have the opportunity to get your product marketed to a wide range increasing sales, tell me you wouldn't consider it. Maybe we really believe it's not about the money, it's about the beer line, but seriously, you don't open a business without planning on making some cash.

I'd also like to add that I haven't been very impressed with Long Trail's offerings either. Maybe I'm just too much of a hop head, but their beers just seem really bland to me.

Yet another vote for Magic Hat. We enjoyed the tour of the brewery, hated the beers. Which then meant that we immediately had to go elsewhere for more beer the get the MH taste out of our mouths.

we have the redhook sister brewery in NH..its identical construction to the one in the NW... it about 40 min away from were i live...there are to main stream now or not so micro...i think alot of there product are riding the coat tales of AB, but i do find the IPA agreeable

If the main stream factor is part of your equation to determine what makes a good microbrewery, I think you are going to have to add quite a bit more to the list that sell a lot more than Redhook.

Spaten is also riding the coat tales of Inbev but I would enjoy a Opitmater on occation.

I'm gonna go with Magic Hat, still haven't had a beer from them that I liked. Or Twisted Pine, same thing.

You do not like Twisted Pine??? What is wrong with you man??...lol I like their Brown and their Rasbperry. Granted I am not in love with it but I am in like with it. When I worked for a small IT company on Valmont we would go there and get growlers every friday @ Beer Thirty

Wow, how in the heck did someone say Troegs. I do not think they can make bad beer. Everything they offer is amazing, and that is not me being a homer, that is legit.

I think the two breweries I would have to say would be North Coast and Stone, and not for the product they put out, but for the operations as a whole.

North Coast welshed on the contest prize they owed me, without ever returning an email. It is a shame too, because I really enjoyed most of the beers that make it here to the east coast.

Stone were a bunch of arrogant butt pirates at the brew pub to my wife, daughter and I when we were there. I can excuse the attitude of the not-as-hot-as-she-thinks-she-is hostess, but the rest of the staff was the same. All but pushed my 2 year old out of the way and into the pond thing. I never was struck with amazement with any of the beers, but figured I should at least see the brewery in SoCal since they had a ton of other offerings. We left and found a nice mexican bodega, where I had Negro Madelos and enchiladas all afternoon, then BevMo.

Stone were a bunch of arrogant butt pirates at the brew pub to my wife, daughter and I when we were there. I can excuse the attitude of the not-as-hot-as-she-thinks-she-is hostess, but the rest of the staff was the same. All but pushed my 2 year old out of the way and into the pond thing. I never was struck with amazement with any of the beers, but figured I should at least see the brewery in SoCal since they had a ton of other offerings. We left and found a nice mexican bodega, where I had Negro Madelos and enchiladas all afternoon, then BevMo.

Well, you know that's kind of their M.O.....

FUArrogantBastard.jpg

I have to vote for Steam Engine Lager from Steam Works Brewing in Durango, CO. Supposedly this brew is world class and voted best Lager. I am thinking the judges were super baked when they judged it or bribed. It had a weird, skunked foot taste to it. I am sticking with Bavarian inspired lagers from now on

You are insane. I recently had a bottle of Steam Engine lager and it was w/o question one of the best beers Ive ever had. I emailed them asking for a clone. Someone passed along my request to the brewmaster but he never responded to me.

If nothing else, this thread beautifully illustrates the old adage: "One man's pleasure is another man's poison". :D

Arbor Brewing.

I've not had a bottle that wasn't overcarbed or a gusher. Don't know why, everyone else on here seems to think they have excellent beer. *shrug*

Amen to that. Serious gusher issues.

The Philadelphia area has some excellent microbrews available. I can't say I've ever tried one that didn't have at least one beer I enjoyed.

OP: maybe try Lancaster out of the bottle? I haven't sampled them all, but I enjoy their Milk Stout and Amish 4 Grain, especially for the price.

Don't know if it was said yet or not but I've gotta say Thunder Canyon Brewery in Tucson. I should have known it was gonna be crap when I found out it was in a Mall. The food was mediocre and the beer was definatly not what you expect from a craft brewer.

The one I dislike is New Belgium... not that I dislike their beers, but to me they are far from spectacular, yet people seem to like them. There is something about their yeast that doesn't do it for me...

Not sure if it was just a bad can, but I tried Dale's Pale Ale (Oskar Blues Brewery in CO) and it was horribly salty, not very tasty

Arbor Brewing.

I've not had a bottle that wasn't overcarbed or a gusher. Don't know why, everyone else on here seems to think they have excellent beer. *shrug*

Wow, I have had some real good beers from there. Not that I am an expert on their lineup.

For me, it's Atwater Brewing. I bought 3 bottles once, and one was a gusher, one had a bad flavor (Granted, it WAS a "Dirty Blonde") and the other I don't remember what was wrong with it. They have won awards, though, so maybe some of their beer is ok.

Also, Wolverine Beer from Michigan Brewing Company is a nasty bit of work IMO. Normally I really enjoy their stuff, but they do a lot of contract brewing and this is def not on my list of beers I would drink.

I would have to say that the one that I like the least is Sea Dog. They make way too many fruit beers for me. I did like going to their bewpubs when I lived in northern Maine though. When I moved to Portland there were MUCH better offerings though.

Storm

I really can't think of any that I dislike, although there are a handful that I feel so-so about (Fat Tire, Sam Adams, etc.). I did go to a brand new microbrewery here in upstate New York (Becker Brewing Co) and I was not sold on any of the beers. Granted, they just started, so I'll probably try again in a year, but still.

And to whoever mentioned Rockbottom, the one in Long Beach, CA was one of my regular haunts. Hayley, the brewmaster, never failed to impress with any of her seasonal brews. I highly recommend her Blackhawk Imperial Stout and The Hammer.

Illinois Brewing Company

Infected keg lines. I'd be glad to never set foot in there again, but my friend's band plays there from time to time. I guess I'll just stick to bottles of Sierra Nevada. (and ask for a glass and pour it myself)

The one I dislike is New Belgium... not that I dislike their beers, but to me they are far from spectacular, yet people seem to like them. There is something about their yeast that doesn't do it for me...

+1 It's their house flavor that comes from their yeast that I just really don't like at all. The Hoptoberfest and 1554 are pretty good, but I think those two beers mask the yeast profile that the other beers have. Their Lips of Faith beers are also pretty good, but those are specialties and hard to find.

My least favorite would have to be Redhook. I really used to like their beers, but then they changed their recipes when they merged with Widmer to form CBAI, and it just isn't very good anymore, pretty bland. The Redhook IPA (Ballard Bitter) was one of my favorite easy drinking beers, then they got rid of it and started making the Longhammer IPA, total crap. Redhook ESB seems to have lost a lot of its flavor and body. Late Harvest and Copper hook are gross, and the winter hook ain't much better.

Wow, I have had some real good beers from there. Not that I am an expert on their lineup.

For me, it's Atwater Brewing. I bought 3 bottles once, and one was a gusher, one had a bad flavor (Granted, it WAS a "Dirty Blonde") and the other I don't remember what was wrong with it. They have won awards, though, so maybe some of their beer is ok.

Also, Wolverine Beer from Michigan Brewing Company is a nasty bit of work IMO. Normally I really enjoy their stuff, but they do a lot of contract brewing and this is def not on my list of beers I would drink.

Kid Rock's 'Bad Ass' beer (contract brewed by Michigan Brewing Co.) is pretty bad also. Tasted like BMC with some strange off-flavor. However I do like Michigan Brewing's other beers.

Kid Rock's 'Bad Ass' beer (contract brewed by Michigan Brewing Co.) is pretty bad also. Tasted like BMC with some strange off-flavor. However I do like Michigan Brewing's other beers.

Yeah, that stuff kinda sucks. MBC's prices on grain are stupid high ( like 1.50 a pound), but I still get all my grain from there.

However, the worst brewery in michigan has to be mountain town station in mount pleasant. Their wheat ale is so banana-y it's almost undrinkable, and their other beers aren't much better. They do have some fantastic food tho. (both MBC and Moutain Town)

I don't think I've ever had a Sam Adams beer I didn't like. Even the ones that are so-so seems to be of good quality. Each to his own I guess.

Same here. I think a lot of people around here see "macro" and just shut off. Its like Indy Music fans. They're so against the concept that it ruins their opinion.

Perception and expectation is as much a part of taste as your tastebuds are.

New Belgium and Alaskan tie for the worst. Both have a profile that offends me.

Not liking Redhook because of their association with A-B is nonsense.

DFH.

I know you craft fans swoon over it, but their IPAs are disgusting.

Nothing I've ever tasted out of that brewery was anything but crap.

Red Hook. They don't make anything I can choke down because I'm sensitive to diacetyl. All I can taste is the diacetyl.... their beers are like liquid 50c microwave popcorn.

New Belgium would be at the bottom but I *love* their sour beers... can't stand any of their regular beers. Their banana/bubblegum house strain is a big turn-off for me.

Wow, how in the heck did someone say Troegs. I do not think they can make bad beer. Everything they offer is amazing, and that is not me being a homer, that is legit.

Agreed Ryan

I would say Leinenkugel like a lot of others. Got a sampler of theirs and gave it away after trying one of each of the beers.

For me, it's the beers at Hops brewpubs. They weren't actively bad, just uninspired.
I also spent an evening at The Rock brewpub in Lynnwood WA. The beer was not good, with an extremely unbalanced Cascade IPA, and several others coming out of the taps that were still green. I don't remember much specifically, except that the beer was not very good, and the pizza was mediocre at best.

My local thumbs-up micros/brewpubs include O'Dell's, Dry Dock Brewing, and Tommyknocker.

Back