What's your favorite late night snack after having a few beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to eat healthy (er) these days and found that I really enjoy a simple dry cajun, or buffalo, or peppered turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. Hits the spot perfectly without overdoing it and it doesn't make me feel like crap the next morning.

I've dropped 30 pounds in the last 4 months doing nothing more than eating more sensibly (and 5 hours on the elliptical each week.)

I just realized I am being Buzz Killington so I will shut up now.

Döner kebab, German style is the best drunk food of all time. Seriously. It is the best in the world.

Döner kebab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mmmm.... That reminds me of Achim's K-bob in Athens, GA. Couldn't stand the weather down there but the downtown kicked ass and Achim's was one of the reasons. He was open till 3 or 4 in the morning for all the after bar crowd. I spent many a late night in there enjoying a kebab, Belgian fries and the 8 dipping sauces he made to go along with them. I've actually thought about making a road trip back to Athens just to eat. :D

It says it's similar to Gyro meat but the Gyro meat is lamb and beef (I think it's beef, I know it's a mix). That Döner kebab stuff is just lamb I guess.

It is lamb, but not weird mystery meat lamb like gyro always is. It has a lot of cabbage and other salad and Szatziki (sp?) sauce and a good bun. Mmmmmm..... it is the best!

I don't know if the kebab's we had in Athens where lamb, beef or a mix but they were good. The biggest difference I saw between them and a gyro is that the meat is seasoned differently, the bread is pita-ish but thinner and grilled so it's crispy and the sauce served on it is different. If you had a gyro and a kebab side by side you'd see the difference.

It is lamb, but not weird mystery meat lamb like gyro always is. It has a lot of cabbage and other salad and Szatziki (sp?) sauce and a good bun. Mmmmmm..... it is the best!

I have to agree, the kebab is cut pieces of lamb off the spit, not ground lamb like a normal kebab is. Gyros has a much spicier seasoning on the meat and is done with zaziki, the turkish kebab tends to be similar to zaziki, but not as thick.
Great drunk food. Great food at any time actually, it was my go to after work in Germany on the edge of the red light district in Hannover, the best kebab in town. Beautiful made on site bun too, not flat like a pitta, has a bit of rising in it.

Popcorn made from my whirley pop

whirley1.JPG

Mine doesn't look this clean though.

Club crackers with peanut butter and cream cheese.

OR

microwave popcorn with additional REAL butter and Kraft parmesan cheese.

Isn't a California burrito the one with potatoes in it? That's bull****, I'm not paying for potatoes in my burrito. I want meat, grease, cheese, and more grease...

Whatever leftover is most quickly reheated and served. Tonight, it will be leftover homemade cheeeseburger hamburger helper. Call me uncreative, but I made it at half the cost of the box, had I bought it, alone. :p

Deep Dish or a very cheesy pizza followed by a slice of chocolate cake. Way back in my younger days, a pizza from C.W. Napkin and a slice of their chocolate cake was an almost weekly tradition.

After a couple beers for some reason I've always got a hankering for some fresh or Fried Mozzarella cheese with either Marinara sauce or fresh Extra virgin Olive oil and some salt/pep/garlic/

After a couple beers for some reason I've always got a hankering for some fresh or Fried Mozzarella cheese with either Marinara sauce or fresh Extra virgin Olive oil and some salt/pep/garlic/

I love making a crustless pizza. Take Mozzarella or provalone (provalone crisps up nice) and lay it on a pizza pan and then maybe top with some pepperoni and bake in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and crispy brown on the bottom and edges. If you leave spaces between the cheese on the pan you get even more crispy edges. So good!

After giving this a lot of thought since this thread begins I have to go with frozen pizza as my #1 basic quick late night slightly drunk snack.

If I am out it is usually loaded fries but with bleu cheese instead of ranch for dipping. At home it is whatever I can come up with.

A local grocery store makes Hatch Green Chile Tortilla Chips that are really freakin good with beer.

While I wouldn't pick lamb as my favorite late night snack, I would choose rack of lamb seasoned with rosemary, garlic, sea salt, and pepper over most other meats for a great dinner with a really good cabernet or malbec.

they have this convenience store near my old house that made Beefy Cheesy Tots. it is the ultimate late night snack. Tater Tots covered in shreded roast beef and gravy topped with melted nacho cheese.

Dude, I am so moving there. Wait, you said made? No mas?

Individual nachos. Take a bunch of chips, place one jalapeño on each, cover with just enough cheddar to cover the jalapeño and bake for about 5min. Goes excellent with an IPA.

This is exactly how my family made nachos when I was growing up, except that we put the pepper slice atop the cheese instead of under. And uh, we used a microwave a lot of the time.

HB represent!

Ok, I admit I've been all over this thread tonight. Yes, I'm buzzing. Had a Le Merle Saison from North Coast Brewing and a Kilt Lifter from Moylans. Hanging out with the Sig-O who is ostensibly sharing these brews with me.

In any case, had to finish by weighing in on the California Burrito/Potato thing. I'm a taqueria freak and only at one place in Sonoma County have I seen offered a dish called Carne Asada Fries. Also available in burrito form.

Wikipedia has an article on this dish which suggests that it is well known in San Deigo, but less so in California points northern, though it mentions Sacramento. This article is available here:
Carne asada fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love the concept, but in practice can pass on the potato.

Pet-the-goddam-frickin-a-luma?

Ya gots ta have a taco stand there, ya?

Either that or some aw selling hotgogs from his cart?

I'm sorry, but this so-called California Burrito sounds disgusting.

seriously, San Diego, you can'T do better?

A quesadilla

1 GOOD qualtiy tortilla ( I like La La's Traditional; style)
Tilimook sharp cheddar
Shaved red onion
Thin sliced Roma tomato
Thin Sliced Haas avacado
Heat of yer preferance, Tobasco, Gunslinger, raw jalepinos (my fave!)or whatever

Heat tortilla over medium low heat, add cheese. When Cheese starts to melt add ingredients of chioice to one half. After a couple minutes, fold tortilla in half. Shoot for a warm golden brown/cheese melted. Cut into desired portions and serve with heat of choice...

Multiply this by the number of hungery stomaches in the pad....

Low key, low to medium calories....

A quesadilla

1 GOOD qualtiy tortilla ( I like La La's Traditional; style)
Tilimook sharp cheddar
Shaved red onion
Thin sliced Roma tomato
Thin Sliced Haas avacado
Heat of yer preferance, Tobasco, Gunslinger, raw jalepinos (my fave!)or whatever

Heat tortilla over medium low heat, add cheese. When Cheese starts to melt add ingredients of chioice to one half. After a couple minutes, fold tortilla in half. Shoot for a warm golden brown/cheese melted. Cut into desired portions and serve with heat of choice...

You know, this doesn't sound bad. The only thing I would add is to make sure the fillings are all heated before tossing them into the mix. Especially the tomatoes. A raw tomato in a qd will often spew it's juice everywhere making a runny mess.

But hey, if you put a runny qd in formt of me right now I'd gobble ti the frag up!

I'll pass on the Cali burrito but carne asada fries are killer. So is a thing known as a flying saucer in San Diego County mexi joints. Potatoes in a burrito are just cheap filler in my opinion...just like rice and beans. Where's the beef, *****???

Latest posts

Back