What's your favorite beer style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I alternate...but I keep returning back to brown ales. I just kegged a brown with toasted coconut added in the boil...and man...it is a good sipper year-round.

Toasted coconut? That sound good. I like to add a little chocolate to my brown ale.

I get the chocolate flavor from the malt, and then I toast about two pounds of unsweetened coconut in the oven...throw it in a muslin bag...and then add it with about 15 minutes left in the boil. A nice, subtle coconut scent/taste on the back end. Not as coconut forward as Kona's brown, but I like it. No problems with head or retention...I think I'm going to go pour myself one now...haha.

Lol. Cool. Enjoy brother. The last time I brewed a brown ale was a while ago. It was a one gallon batch. I could be wrong, but I think I added 4oz. (it may have been 3. I don't remember. ) Of unsweetened coca powder at flame out. It came out pretty good.

I love a good IPA. I'm constantly sampling new offerings. The style I can drink every day and never get tired of us a good Pale Ale. They have the right balance of malt and hops to enjoy no matter my mood. Dale's Pale Ale and Yards are both good.

Back in the day my favorite beer was Goose Island Honkers Ale. It was an English Ale and they killed it because it wasn't as popular as the IPA. Kills me because that was my favorite beer and favorite brewery, but they got bought out by Anheuser Busch and have never been the same.

It's on my list to brew my own Honkers Ale, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Ever since I started home brewing I've really been getting into IPA's. This mosaic IPA I'm sipping on is really good. I have a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone( my favorite store bought beer) that I brew from time to time. I also have a citra smash recipe, that is one of my favorites too. Enjoy by 4/20? I haven't seen that one yet.

New Castle is a good beer too. You know I never use to like hoppy beers, until I started home brewing. I use to drink Budweiser all the time. (Sorry beer gods, forgive me I didn't know what I was doing.) Now I can't stand Budweiser.
Newcastle was recently turned over to Lagunitas. I'm told it's a slightly updated recipe.

West Coast IPA

I miss the hell out of Green Flash over in New England.

New Castle got turned over? Huh, I didn't know that. Green flash? Never seen that beer out here. Is it pretty good?
The reimagined Newcastle Brown Ale is a smooth, crisp, slightly roasty and hoppier beer, that’s not too bitter, not too sweet, and altogether uncommon. Brewed with Centennial and Chinook hops and available in the U.S., the Lagunitas-brewed Newcastle Brown Ale will hit shelves and delight lips in March 2019.

Lots of places in Sunnydale sell Green Flash.
Screenshot_20200406-231751_Chrome.jpg

I can still drink a cold Bud on a hot day. I don't do IPAs. For me, the hops need to be in balance with the malt and by definition an IPA does not do that. Oh well. By this time in my life I have probably drank around 1,000 or more different beers. Has anyone ever heard of San Miguel from the Phillipines? I used to love the San Miguel Dark. Also Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is delicious and complex.
Douglas MacArthur gave orders not to bomb the San Miguel brewery during WWII and when he retook Manila his first order was to get the brewery running again. Gotta love a good General.

I've never been disappointed by a Sierra Nevada beer. Also, Alchemist. Great stuff. High IBU.
Vermont does amazing beers.

I don't buy much craft beer, so can't really say I have a favorite. But I buy Samuel Adams sometimes and really enjoy it. I don't see much praise for it on the forum and wonder if it's generally looked down on.

Back