What's your brew space/hangout spot look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muels

Reaction score
I'm going to remodel this spring so I thought I might get some ideas and see what other folks have. My brew space is the garage. The vehicles are only allowed when there is hail in the forecast (twice in 3 years). It's not only brew gear in here but pretty much. All my brew stuff is in here accept my rig. It stays in the shed next to the garage, I just roll it in here on brew days.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449788021.668820.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449788045.083341.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449788068.314988.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449788095.935626.jpg

Looks like this atm, but since my new "L" shaped desk came in today, paint Saturday & get new pics.

Lost some video I saved?...

I envy you guys and your "spaces".

I have a single tier 2 burner stand that remains outside all year, and my brew equipment finds a home wherever I can stash it.

I have a VERY understanding wife, that enjoys quality beer as much (if not more) than I

Here is a pic of our (serving) front room. 3 tap refer with all the supplies and equipment outta sight (outta mind)

Pic is sideways. Can't fix it on iPhone. Sorry.

image.jpg

I envy you guys and your "spaces".

I have a single tier 2 burner stand that remains outside all year, and my brew equipment finds a home wherever I can stash it.

I have a VERY understanding wife, that enjoys quality beer as much (if not more) than I

Here is a pic of our (serving) front room. 3 tap refer with all the supplies and equipment outta sight (outta mind)

Pic is sideways. Can't fix it on iPhone. Sorry.

What is your refer? Looks like a Dr. Who type phone box. It's cool, I like the concept.

I utilize one of the bays in my 3 car garage for brew day, but only during brew day. Everything is on wheels. I'm anal and my vehicles all sleep in my garage. I also have an unfinished part of my basement that is the "man cave". It's where I keg my beers and keep most of my supplies.

cropped.jpg

I utilize one of the bays in my 3 car garage for brew day, but only during brew day. Everything is on wheels. I'm anal and my vehicles all sleep in my garage. I also have an unfinished part of my basement that is the "man cave". It's where I keg my beers and keep most of my supplies.

Pics of the man cave? Maybe I can get some ideas. Would like to do brew space/man cave together maybe a stationary rig with a hood.

Yeah, mine is my kitchen.. my ferm chamber/bottle cellar is the open space next to my night stand in my bedroom and I bottle at my dining room table. Homebrewing in a 3rd story walk-up apartment is sweet.

I've brewed in the kitchen and on the porch before moving to the garage. Doesn't change the taste!

I hope everything goes according to plan & the weather report this weekend! I always look forward to any next-step improvements to the ol' man cave/brewery. Now if I could just afford the French doors & wood plank flooring...:ban:

What is your refer? Looks like a Dr. Who type phone box. It's cool, I like the concept.

Yes, it's the T.A.R.D.I.S.

It's bigger on the inside

Now if I could just get Clara over for a pint.....

It's just a normal fridge, freezer on top. Removed the handle, some construction adhesive, some 1x3, and some blue paint.

Holds 2 cornys, a sanke and co2 tank, or 5 cornys and a co2 tank, along with canned wort, yeasts, and bombers for aging in door, with all my hops in freezer.

Yeah, mine is my kitchen.. my ferm chamber/bottle cellar is the open space next to my night stand in my bedroom and I bottle at my dining room table. Homebrewing in a 3rd story walk-up apartment is sweet.

I brew at CHAOS brewclub, we built and maintain our own brewhouse. Four brewing bays, temperature controlled ferm room, lager fermentation fridge, lagering/cold-crashing fridge. Its shared space with all that implies, but its pretty sweet. Its a good option for us urbanites with limited space. As far as I know, we're the only club in the country with a brewhouse.

chaos_brewhouse.jpg

More photos and explanation here

Now if I could just get Clara over for a pint.....

Best companion yet. 👍

Man reading through these posts has be kinda jealous. I have a small garage that isn't even big enough to truly consider a full 1 car garage. I share it with bikes, tools, strollers, etc. Basically I've got room for a burner and a chair. Then I ferment and keg/bottle in the basement in a corner by the water heater.

Maybe in 18-20 years when the boys move out I can set up a permanent area...

We sorta got lucky when we built our Georgian colonial 15 years ago. It has a separate parlor from the main living room- dinette- kitchen area. I took the parlor for my man cave/brewery area. Kinda wish it wasn't in the front of the house though. but ya takes what ya gits...:mug:

I brew at CHAOS brewclub, we built and maintain our own brewhouse. Four brewing bays, temperature controlled ferm room, lager fermentation fridge, lagering/cold-crashing fridge. Its shared space with all that implies, but its pretty sweet. Its a good option for us urbanites with limited space. As far as I know, we're the only club in the country with a brewhouse.

chaos_brewhouse.jpg

Great Space Pappers

Is there away to get a Tour ?

I lived in Chicago, years ago, before Home Brewing ( and my Wife )
I'd love to see your space next time i get to the Windy City

Its such a great idea - Shared Space = so all of us do not have to build a basement brewery

Steve

Great Space Pappers

Is there away to get a Tour ?

I lived in Chicago, years ago, before Home Brewing ( and my Wife )
I'd love to see your space next time i get to the Windy City

Its such a great idea - Shared Space = so all of us do not have to build a basement brewery

Steve

Let me know when you're in Chicago next and I'd be happy to show you around.

I brew in the kitchen, ferment on top of my office file cabinet, and store beer under my desk....pretty small house! Thinking of taking over one of the storage sheds and building it out with insulated floor, walls, and roofs. Got it planned out and costs estimated. The problem is that's where my wife keeps her Cadillac riding lawn mower that she treats like a classic car. Since I refuse to mow a perfectly good pasture, she does. I fear if I take her parking space, she'll have me back out there running a dang weed wacker....a fate worse than death!

Third wife, a red head....this is a real touchy situation....in my experience it's best to never rock a small boat!

im getting there. Framing, sheetrock, and mud are done. Texture, paint, counters, sink, and vent hood go up this weekend

WP_20151210_20_21_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20151210_20_21_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20151207_16_55_43_Pro.jpg

You do what you can do with what you got...homebrewing anywhere is sweet, and I'll bet you make some pretty good beer! :mug:

Don't get me wrong.. I love my setup. And, to my taste, I do make some pretty damn good beer. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want an outdoor space to brew in. It's going to be a pre-requisite for my next apartment.

I read that article BYO did on the CHAOS club. It really sounds like an awesome setup. Even some one with space and gear for 5 gal batches could benefit from fermentation chambers and larger scale systems. You guys are seriously lucky.

chaos_brewhouse.jpg

That's pretty awesome @Pappers. I've heard of CHAOS. I'm a member of another club up north in Libertyville called NUBS. We're fairly new and we're organizing our first competition that will be in February.

That's pretty awesome @Pappers. I've heard of CHAOS. I'm a member of another club up north in Libertyville called NUBS. We're fairly new and we're organizing our first competition that will be in February.

If you want to come take a tour and see if it might be a solution to your brewing space needs, let me know.

For your competition, let me know about that, too, if you're looking for judges.

Brew Room in Progress. Space is 10'X20', underneath the Sunroom, and opens into the crawl space. Used to have my wood shop there, but moved that into the garage. Just started the renovation, so I have a ways to go. Built the brew stand first (so I could get some beers in the kegs), now I start with the ventilation system. Then start by digging the floors down 8-10" as the ceiling height is only a little over 6'. Big job, but it should be worth it in the end.

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Speaking of...How do you like those gloves? They look like the heat proof gloves I almost bought on Amazon yesterday.

Love em! I believe not squeezing every last drop of wort from my grain bag is wasted beer, and these work great. Hang the bag and let it drip for about 15-20 minutes while the kettle gets to a boil, then squeeze it until it wimpers. Here are the gloves I bought on Amazon. Another really good purchase was this monster whisk. Makes stirring my mash mucho easier.

Gloves.jpg

whisk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A lil slow getting started clearing out part of the man cave. Lots to move around before painting & assembling the new desk & rearranging things. Gotta get the boys up.

Love em! I believe not squeezing every last drop of wort from my grain bag is wasted beer, and these work great. Hang the bag and let it drip for about 15-20 minutes while the kettle gets to a boil, then squeeze it until it wimpers. Here are the gloves I bought on Amazon. Another really good purchase was this monster whisk. Makes stirring my mash mucho easier.

Isn't squeezing the grain bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so far to me, no. I put my grain bag in a SS colander on top of the BK/MT to drain. Then use the kettle lid to press the good stuff out. Then into the batch sparge @ 168F for 10 minutes. Repeat. Hard to believe I filled a paper grocery bag with stuff off the old computer hutch. no garbage, just BYO mags, notebooks, pencil tray stuff, etc. Got a lot of lil things to remove from part of the room to paint...

Back