What's with the Turkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daspooper

relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew
Reaction score
My wife got me this cool t-shirt from AHA for my birthday, but I'm a little hesitant to wear it as I won't be able to answer why AHA features a turkey for a logo. The t-shirt features the AHA name wrapped around a fairly goofy looking turkey holding a homebrew.

What do turkeys have to do with homebrewing? I tried searching a bit for an answer, but I couldn't find so much as a hint as to why a turkey is the logo of the AHA in this vintage shirt. I have ideas that I made up in my head, but nothing solid. It seems like this was the original logo for the AHA, but I can't seem to find any evidence that this is true either.

see this link for the t-shirt in question:
https://stores.kotisdesign.com/aha/apparel/aha-40th-anniversary-vintage-tee/47862

Thanks,

My wife got me this cool t-shirt from AHA for my birthday, but I'm a little hesitant to wear it as I won't be able to answer why AHA features a turkey for a logo. The t-shirt features the AHA name wrapped around a fairly goofy looking turkey holding a homebrew.

What do turkeys have to do with homebrewing? I tried searching a bit for an answer, but I couldn't find so much as a hint as to why a turkey is the logo of the AHA in this vintage shirt. I have ideas that I made up in my head, but nothing solid. It seems like this was the original logo for the AHA, but I can't seem to find any evidence that this is true either.

see this link for the t-shirt in question:
https://stores.kotisdesign.com/aha/apparel/aha-40th-anniversary-vintage-tee/47862

Thanks,

I asked Charlie Papazian (founder of AHA). His response:

AleFred the turkey was our mascot. Still is since he never got replaced. Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the official USA bird but lost out to the Bald Eagle. We adopted the turkey and put barley in his claws instead of arrows.

Sent from a rotary pay phone.
Charlie Papazian

Thanks, passedpawn. I had a feeling it had something to do with Ben Franklin's turkey ambitions. I stumbled across this Chop and Brew episode after posting yesterday where Charlie P. is giving a history lecture and he mentions the turkey. Look for it around 14:58 of this video

Latest posts

Back