What's with crickets and refridgerators??? mild rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Well, it's that time of year again, the crickets are trying to infest my home-and succeding. Why do those damned things always crawl behind fridges and then start chirping away??? This year they seem to favor my kegerator- I've squished one each of the last three nights and there is another one singing away behind me as I (try to) type.:mad:

They're looking for a female. I'll record SWMBO chirping off sometime and you can play it to them. When they come out, all pissed off, stomp them.

the little suckers are invading my basement. I have no idea how they managed to get down there, but I hear them everytime I go down there. I picked up some spray on lunch today and sprayed it tonight.

Thosee little suckers came right out (I'm in the process of finishing my basement and have the walls framed up... they were hiding under some of the botton wall plates where the floor isn't exactly level so there's some space) and I had a nice cricket stomping party a couple of hours ago.

You're fortunate. They somehow get into the wall cavities here. Live for weeks in there. You know how their chirps are a funtion of temperature..... It doesn't get below 100 until after 10PM here.

Bernie, that's such a silly question! They are under the kegerator and refrigerators because if they come out, you'll step on them! They may be insects, but they're not stupid enough to come out into the open! ;)

I don't have problem with crickets- this summer it's been earwigs! Yuck!

Try a freak'n mouse in the vent above the stove! Mouse turds and little scraps of metal from the filter all over the stove top every day.

No cricket problem, too many snakes.

Yooper Chick said:
Bernie, that's such a silly question! They are under the kegerator and refrigerators because if they come out, you'll step on them! They may be insects, but they're not stupid enough to come out into the open! ;)

I don't have problem with crickets- this summer it's been earwigs! Yuck!

Yeah, but........there's plenty of other places to hide. They're always uder one of my fridges-directly under the compressor, to be exact. Dunno, I'm going for that spray can soon............

BUMP for the heckovit....:D

I once lived in an old house, and a cricket got under the floorboards beneath my bed...I thought I would go mad....

I finally drilled a tiny hole in one of the floor boards, took a can of raid and one of those tiny straw tubes that come with WD-40...and emptied the can.

Of course I couldn't sleep in the bed for a week because of the fumes....but the f-er bought the farm....:D

My son has a leopard gecko. Box 'em up and send the bugs to me. The lizard will love them

In my lab we used to have the "live biology" refrigerader for some reason. God forbid you bump the thing because the damn crickets would not stop for a good 3 hours. I hated that thing and much preferred its sister, "non-live bio material" fridge.

BUMP for the heckovit....:D

I once lived in an old house, and a cricket got under the floorboards beneath my bed...I thought I would go mad....

I finally drilled a tiny hole in one of the floor boards, took a can of raid and one of those tiny straw tubes that come with WD-40...and emptied the can.

Of course I couldn't sleep in the bed for a week because of the fumes....but the f-er bought the farm....:D

Didn't Edgar Allen Poe write a story about that? Something about the TellTale Cricket?

Latest posts

Back