What's with all the honey beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
I'm just wondering, how come home brewers are so into the honey beers? I don't think I've ever seen a commercial brand that sells a "honey beer." Perhaps that's why!...But I'm just kind of curious, is there something about honey that goes so well with beer? I personally have never tried one...perhaps I need to make an ale...

If you're speaking of regular beers like J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown and I believe even AB made one then they're around. But if you're talking about Braggots then yes you wouldn't find a comercial version very easily due the great expense of the honey. Braggots are made 50/50 honey and malt.

Wild

Well, I've tried quite a few beers and I dont think I've come across a honey beer...though, I'm not that big on browns. I'm talking mainly about home brewers...there are a lot of honey beers on this forum...just wondering--whats the big hubub?

I was wondering this too. Is it experimentation for experimentation's sake or is it for the flavour?

Honey Weiss sounds great :mug:

Some of these beers are made with Honey Malt, not honey. I suspect it is part experiment, part flavor, part an effort to appeal to women's palates. As are ciders and fruit beers. Many women to not like bitter, just like guys don't like dark green veggies. (I want a yuck face)

Also, I believe the sugars from honey are more completely fermentable than the sugars from malt. So honey is a particularly logical addition to drier, summer type beers.

cweston said:
Also, I believe the sugars from honey are more completely fermentable than the sugars from malt. So honey is a particularly logical addition to drier, summer type beers.

Ive read mentions of "skimming" honey before adding it to the boil. Whats this referring to?

I've never got much honey flavor but it is good if you want to make your beer a bit lighter or if you want to boost the alcohol. Honey doesn't produce off flavors and ferments out clean and dry.

There are a LOT of commercial beers that use honey (Google it) they mostly come out during the summer because it is used in lighter beers.

If you want honey flavor its best to use honey malt instead of honey though.

Monster Mash said:
There are a LOT of commercial beers that use honey (Google it) they mostly come out during the summer because it is used in lighter beers.

If you want honey flavor its best to use honey malt instead of honey though.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I've done both, and I'd recommend using them in conjunction with one another. The honey malt alone is a nutty flavor, and can easily be overdone, and honey in itself is really hard to get a honey flavor out of, but sort of comes out nicely with a touch of honey malt.

Take that FWIW. I'm no expert, but I've found a happy medium with my beers after some experimentation with both.

Chimone said:
Ive read mentions of "skimming" honey before adding it to the boil. Whats this referring to?
When you boil honey a lot of wax and proteins (impurities) rise to the top. You need to skim this off.

I recommend doing this first in its own pot before adding any honey to your brew.

Boiling honey longer than 15 mins cooks the honey flavor out of it. If you want to retain that flavor I would add it to your wort as its going into the primary.

Honey is very fermentable and adds more complexity than plain old sugar in cases where you want to boost alcohol without adding body to your beer.

I also don't recommend boiling honey, as it will scrub off much of the flavor/aroma. Adding it at flameout is good to make sure it's sanitized, and will help retain most of its character. Although everyone has their own method.

Somerville said:
I'm just wondering, how come home brewers are so into the honey beers? I don't think I've ever seen a commercial brand that sells a "honey beer." Perhaps that's why!...But I'm just kind of curious, is there something about honey that goes so well with beer? I personally have never tried one...perhaps I need to make an ale...

Funny I've always wondered the same about all the IPAs, Porters, and Stouts.......

Hm, I like the idea of honey and honey malt together. Do most of you mash this? Would I be fine if I steeped it? I've got a pound of honey malt just sitting in the freezer. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Perhaps I should make a honey pale ale? Though, I'll probably only use about 1/4lb huh? Honey would be good for those lighter summer lagers you spoke of...I would just be afraid of making it too watery. Not sure if I would ever want to try lessening the body on a pale ale though. So in terms of making a honey pale ale--when should you add the honey to retain a good whisper of it?

Somerville said:
Hm, I like the idea of honey and honey malt together. Do most of you mash this? Would I be fine if I steeped it? I've got a pound of honey malt just sitting in the freezer. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Perhaps I should make a honey pale ale? Though, I'll probably only use about 1/4lb huh? Honey would be good for those lighter summer lagers you spoke of...I would just be afraid of making it too watery. Not sure if I would ever want to try lessening the body on a pale ale though. So in terms of making a honey pale ale--when should you add the honey to retain a good whisper of it?

And definitley don't use more than a 1/4 lb. of that honey malt. It'll come through, trust me.

Somerville said:
Nothin like the forums gettin' you all excited about a new batch you never planned on making in the first place :D

Well, to each his own, but the 3 beers I've tried that have had honey in them were pretty stinking good. It is a fine adjunct to use.

For example, I take offense to the "making it for the wife" comment, because I brewed up a 1.050 OG, 45 IBU Honey Pale Ale that rocks the hizzle, and my wife wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I added honey to it to bring the ABV up, instead of using something like candi sugar or something like that.

Dude said:
Well, to each his own, but the 3 beers I've tried that have had honey in them were pretty stinking good. It is a fine adjunct to use.

For example, I take offense to the "making it for the wife" comment, because I brewed up a 1.050 OG, 45 IBU Honey Pale Ale that rocks the hizzle, and my wife wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I added honey to it to bring the ABV up, instead of using something like candi sugar or something like that.

Not to mention that you beat a killer Imperial Stout with your little honey wheat for best in show. :D

Well shiat, perhaps I'll just ditch my whole Altbier project and make a friggin' honey beer...most likely both though...time to buy another carboy :rolleyes:

Back