What's up with Stouts and the ladies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasxp

Reaction score
I don't know what it is but every girl/woman out there who doesn't like beer very much changes their mind once they try any sort of stout beer.

My gf wasn't a beer drinker until she tried the sam smiths chocolate stout, now she is hooked!! And i read all the time
The forum of wives and gf who love the homebrew oatmeal stouts... Whats up with the souts and the ladies??

While they may appear scary (ooh, dark!), once you taste them many of the flavors are quite similar to what you may have experienced in chocolate or coffee. As opposed to IPAs, which may not look scary, but the flavors are quite unfamiliar to the uninitiated. IPAs and such also look superficially similar to BMC, and their flavors are familiar if you like drinking horse piss.

They tend to be smoother and have chocolate and/or coffee flavors. I think girls (or non beer-drinkers in general) are more open to drinking beers that remind them of something else they like, or in other words, something they already have a taste for. Getting into bitter and hoppy beers requires you to develop a taste for them. Stouts are pretty much all my friend's girlfriend will drink.

+1. My brewing partner's wife is a wine drinker but one day she took a sip of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and said, Can you guys make beer like this? We took our award winning Imperial Stout recipe and started making it less hoppy and more chocolatey! As long as we keep her in stout she doesn't question the boxes of race car parts!!:D

My wife hates Guiness - gave her some Southern Tier Creme Brulee stout - she likes that. She's coming around on my coffee/oatmeal.

My sister loves a big stout with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

One of my wife's friends won't drink any pale beers. She said she had too many bad experiences in high school and college. She said my Oktoberfest was ok, but didn't like a helles.

Give her a mild, stout, or brown? No problem!

My wife is in the pro stout group. I'm not sure it's her favorite any more though. Now she's a fiend for sours and the Duchesse is easily top dog.

My wife hates Guiness - gave her some Southern Tier Creme Brulee stout - she likes that. She's coming around on my coffee/oatmeal.

My sister loves a big stout with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

My wife and I loved stcbs so much I got a batch bubbling away lol

She also loves anything porter.

Just don't tell them how many calories are in that double chocolate oatmeal imperial stout they love so much...

My girlfriend loves stouts, especially oatmeal stouts. We both love to take a huge, thick RIS and put some vanilla ice cream in it. During the summer, that's heaven.

My fiancee is quite the opposite. I love stouts and get her to try one every once in awhile when she's feeling adventurous to no avail. Then she tried a Real Ale Firemans 4 Squared and she said "ooh, thats kinda flowery" and drank nearly the whole thing. A rarity for her indeed.

tootal said:
+1. My brewing partner's wife is a wine drinker but one day she took a sip of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and said, Can you guys make beer like this? We took our award winning Imperial Stout recipe and started making it less hoppy and more chocolatey! As long as we keep her in stout she doesn't question the boxes of race car parts!!:D

Hhahahhaha
That cracked me up

As a female, I can't stand most stouts. Then again, I hate coffee, so unless there is no trace of coffee flavor it goes down the drain. Some of the chocolate ones are okay, but I have never found one I would brew or drink over and over.

:off::off:

What kind of race car?

Stouts and ladies, you say?

Full201001121638174415790_Fat-guy-hot-girl.jpgx

Seriously, my wife won't touch most IPAs, and in fact, isn't much of a beer drinker. But she loves oatmeal stout. Go figure.

This has not been my experience, it's usually:

Me: "hey, try this"
Her: *sip* "uughh how can you drink this?"
Me: "like this" *glug, glug, glug*

A couple of exceptions though:

nobody I know dislikes Irish car bombs

Me and the wife met some friends at the local brewpub, and one of the ladies was drinking a brown that they had on nitro. She was enjoying it so I ordered one (it was delicious btw), let my wife try it and she said it tasted like hay and smelled like horsesh**

Whats up with the souts and the ladies??

Never noticed.

I also don't get the why people make assumptions about peoples' preferences based on their gender, but that is another topic. Wouldn't be surprised if a man enjoyed Stouts and a woman couldn't get enough of DIPAs. Or vice-versa.

Here in the Czech Republic girls are told that drinking dark beers will make their boobs grow bigger. Its not unusual to walk into a pub and see all the ladies trying to prove that theory...

Here in the Czech Republic girls are told that drinking dark beers will make their boobs grow bigger. Its not unusual to walk into a pub and see all the ladies trying to prove that theory...

My boobs have certainly gotten bigger, but not at the same rapid rate as my gut

I can verify that there are three things that most women love in beer:

1. Fruit
2. Chocolate
3. Vanilla

Some of them also enjoy a little coffee in there and my SWMBO is somewhat of a rarity and loves really hoppy beers unlike about 95% of our friends (her favorite style is Black IPA). However, what got her into darker beers and stouts particularly (which she loves) was the Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. I still get it for her regularly and she's hooked a lot of her friends on it too. A close second would probably be Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter. She gets it all the time when we're out. Either that or any kind of fruit beer. She really loves trying different kinds of fruit or any beer that has honey in it. Most of her friends tend to prefer beers in a similar fashion as well IME.

a Edmund fitz porter with coconut cream pie or homemade banana pudding with nilla's is a sure panty dropper.:p

Well to keep semi on topic lets just say we once had a choice to build a brewing system and have somebody else build the race car or vice versa. We chose to buy a brewing system, (sabco), and build the race car. My friend built a two story, three bay brew house! We build a full modified 1975 BMW 2002. He's taken three national championships with it. So while brewing our chocolate stout for his wife we work on the car. Sometimes the beers come out with an essence of 20/50 racing oil but so far she hasn't complained!

Wife doesn't like stouts much but hand her a Hefe, wit or white ale she will suck it down and eat the orange to boot. Ha.

Wife doesn't like stouts much but hand her a Hefe, wit or white ale she will suck it down and eat the orange to boot. Ha.

whoa partner...do you mean to tell me that your wife will drink the same styles of beer that dudes typically like? Did you check between her legs for the right parts? :)

Here we thought girls were made of sugar, spice and everything nice....

As a female and fellow home brewer, it took me quite some time to develop a taste for Guinness but never gave up and now love it. My favorite for Guinness are mixes like a Snakebite. As much as it hurts my home brewer soul, I can't stand 99% of IPAs as much as I continue to try them. I would say that most of my female friends hate Guinness or any dark beer and would rather grab for the IPAs. Personally I think if someone was going to delve into the dark beer realm that they should start with a Porter. I made a honey porter a few months back that I will most definitely brew again. I don't think gender plays a role in beer preference... If its beer, I'll at least try it once!

whoa partner...do you mean to tell me that your wife will drink the same styles of beer that dudes typically like? Did you check between her legs for the right parts? :)

Here we thought girls were made of sugar, spice and everything nice....

I thought Hefe was a chick beer. She does do xmas ales too, no ipas.

My wife didn't like any beers until she tried a hefe. A year later, she likes everything.

In fact, she's the one who decided we would homebrew! She picked out our initial equipment and everything.

Before my wife and I met, I had two requirements: 1) She had like red wine, and 2) she had to like dark beers. The love of my life drinks both :) After trying an Alaskan Black IPA, guess what she wanted me to make for her? Normally, I can replicate a style she likes, and sometimes I miss the mark. This is not to say, if it isn't what I had in mind, dump it. First rule of HB, don't pour out that batch, it may become something great later. The BIPA made for her had a starting IBU of 91. And, even though I am not usually a fan of monster hoppy beers, apparently the hops I chose for this recipe were a good blend, as there is no doubt this an IPA. Does it taste like the Alaskan BIPA that inspired it? I don't know. As long as SWMBO is happy, the house is happy.

SWMBO usually goes for summer beers, light and not too hoppy. I tried Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate recently and thought it was very good but unfortunately not a single clone I could find anywhere on the net so created a recipe of my own to try on the 21st when my son comes home for winter break.

Hello said:
I know more women who like stouts than men.

Sometimes a stout is just better than a man... Oh, wait... That wasn't the question was it?

I don't like chocolate yet I love coffee. All a matter of preference! And hops, I love hops!

Gosh, based on all of these comments that actually like women like to drink something other than lite beer, stouts and fruity wine! In fact, it almost sounds as if there really isn't any such thing as gender-based taste predilection.

[mind blown]

Gosh, based on all of these comments that actually like women like to drink something other than lite beer, stouts and fruity wine! In fact, it almost sounds as if there really isn't any such thing as gender-based taste predilection.

[mind blown]

...Almost ;)

Back