Whats the ultimate complement your beer has got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
I got a real buzz recently when a colleague told me he gave one of my beers to his German father in law. He asked him how far he would travel to buy that beer - the answer was 50km. I was pretty happy with that considering how easy it is to get good beer in Germany.

I was also told recently about a different beer of mine by a mate's father that it was the best beer he had in 50 years.....he is prone to exaggeration and has been drinking South African beers for 50 years so that's the context!

We have a festival every year where homebrewers come out and pour their beers. I'm always tickled when people ask where they can buy it. And it also helps winning People's Choice.

A brewery employee told me she actually liked my clone better than the brewery's original. Now, I disagree as I am in love with the brewery's beer (otherwise I would not have tried to clone it) but it was indeed humbling and awesome all the same. I am not a super awesome brewer so I take compliments best I can when I can.

My LHBS had a tasting last year and one of the people giving out samples of wine (who now operates a winery) made it clear that she was a wine drinker, and doesn't often find a beer she enjoys, but she really liked my coffee sout. It's nice to get an honest opinion from someone who isn't a close friend or family member, and all the better when it's favorable.
Later, upon sampling a saison, she said "You know what this would pair well with? Lunch." :D

Don't get a ton of opportunities to share yet but... My buddy's girlfriend unknowingly picked up his glass of my Galaxy Pale Ale, took a sip and turned to him, "Oh wow I like this!! Can we buy this next time??" Me: :D

John Maier, the brewmaster at Rogue, tasted my Rye IPA and said "this is the flavor I've been looking for". Then he brewed it several times.

Similar for me. Jeffers Richardson at Firestone Walker tasted my Belgian Golden and I asked him to be brutal. He tasted it and said it had great yeast character in the nose, Nice body, clean and effervescent, and dry acidic finish with just a hint of residual sweetness that you don't get from a Duvel but really rounded it out.

Then he said "You want me to be brutal?". I said, "absolutely". He tasted it again and with a perplexed look said: "I'd drink this! That's about as brutal as I can be."

Then he identified DMS in the next beer I gave him. So I know he wasn't blowing smoke. :cross:

The best compliment has to be that he, AJ Stohl (Figueroa Mountain), Matt Brynildson and Jim Crooks (FW), all felt my Belgian Dark Strong was good enough to win best of show and be taken to GABF in the Pro-Am category (with Figueroa Mountain). We brewed it about 3 weeks ago. Should go on tap at their pub soon.

i've gotten the "best beer i've ever had" compliment before but it didn't mean that much to me. When someone prefers your beer over a commercial beer or they think it is a commercial beer, that's a great feeling.

I made a little 1.5gl porter test batch at the wife's request and took a bottle to work and had two co-workers try it:
Co-worker #1 - "Wow, that's pretty good"
Co-worker #2 - "Ya know, I drink Black Butte all the time and I'd have to say I like this better"

Personally, I wouldn't think that but hearing it put a little smile on my face that day.

I had a few friends over one night watching a hockey game. The next night another game was on same friends come over. My one buddy said "All I could think about at work all day was coming over and having another one of your beers."

"You should sell this!"

"Where'd you buy this?"

"Oh you mean the beer that should be the only beer ever brewed?"

Everytime I have a new beer on tap my neighbour always states "Brad this is the best beer I've ever had, thats even better than the last" But he says this everytime.

I also get "You actually made this?"

I've had a couple of judges comment that they would pay for the beers of mine they were judging.

My wife asked me to brew her a Corona clone. I was hesitant but researched and found one that looked like it would work. She likes it better than Corona. We had a case left and she told me I needed to make it again so she didn't run out. Made me feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had some pretty knowledgeable people tell me my beer was good/great and, have had some beers do well in competitions that were quite large ..... both of those types of things are things that have made me feel good about my beer.
But, probably the ultimate compliment is a recent party we had...... I brewed 4 kegs of beer for the party (O.Bitter, A. Wheat, Dark Mild and a pretty light pale ale). Most of the folks there normally drink Busch Light, wine, etc. Some are into craft beer too. About 50 -70 people stopped by the party at some point. Drank all 4 kegs dry, plus a couple gallons of Dortmunder and a couple gallons of a Citra IPA I had. Woke up to 6 empty kegs...... and, two coolers completely full of Busch Light that I bought for those who might not have wanted "homebrew." 59 of the 60 cans were still there - unopened. To me, that is about the ultimate compliment, when "everyday folks" tell you they can't believe how good your beer is.

I had a friend tell me that he thought my brew was the best that he had had in New Mexico.......

......until he tried some La Cumbre Elevated. Oh well, it was a great compliment while it lasted. :)

I have had some pretty knowledgeable people tell me my beer was good/great and, have had some beers do well in competitions that were quite large ..... both of those types of things are things that have made me feel good about my beer.
But, probably the ultimate compliment is a recent party we had...... I brewed 4 kegs of beer for the party (O.Bitter, A. Wheat, Dark Mild and a pretty light pale ale). Most of the folks there normally drink Busch Light, wine, etc. Some are into craft beer too. About 50 -70 people stopped by the party at some point. Drank all 4 kegs dry, plus a couple gallons of Dortmunder and a couple gallons of a Citra IPA I had. Woke up to 6 empty kegs...... and, two coolers completely full of Busch Light that I bought for those who might not have wanted "homebrew." 59 of the 60 cans were still there - unopened. To me, that is about the ultimate compliment, when "everyday folks" tell you they can't believe how good your beer is.

Thats pretty awesome. The only downside to that is you go home and you have no more home brew. I took 2 kegs and a bunch of bottled IPAs to a family reunion beach trip. came back both kegs kicked and all bottles drank. now im trying to get more batches done to get the pipeline going again.

Thats pretty awesome. The only downside to that is you go home and you have no more home brew.

I did plan ahead...... I had 4 batches in the fermenter and ready to keg... and, I kept an IPA back. So, all was not lost:tank:

Was a full day of washing kegs though:drunk:

I was at a NHC in 2008, and someone in the HBT booth poured my IPA for Ray Daniels. He searched me out, told me he loved it, and asked for another. That was a pretty high compliment for me!

I had a similar experience at NHC 2012. Randy Mosher came by and tried my Wee Shroomy, based on his concept. He loved it and 15 min. later he brought Tasty McDole and Mitch Steele by the booth to try it. I was honored.

My wife, who is not typically a beer drinker, said my blueberry wheat is the best blueberry-flavored beer she's had. And a friend said if he saw my coffee chocolate stout on the shelf he'd buy it. Considering I've only brewed 5 times now, both were nice to hear.

I took a half gallon of my Belgian Blonde to a brew day whit a few friends who have been brewing a lot more years than I. I told them that it was brewed only a week and a half ago, and it had only been in the keg for a day...

It was gone in no time. They both loved it. I was really surprised, and it made me feel pretty good.

Back