What's the smallest batch of beer you've made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
My wife came home with a few brown glass 1 gallon jugs. They remind me of the old moonshine jugs, have the finger hole and everything. Anyways I looked at these and said "I could make beer in those"

Has anyone tried to make small batches of beer? (other than our starters lol)

Alot of us do.Nothing new.Try and brew.Sam I am.not. My smallest was a 1 gal in a 2 gallon bucket.I made mistakes and turned out to be an ok winey-beer.

Two gallons for me, but I see a lot on one gallon jugs with ferm locks on them in posts here and elsewhere.

Currently have two 3/4 gallon going now. Great for "what if" experiments, or "i bet I could ferment that"

Just transferred a 1 gallon experimental batch on top of a pound of rhubarb. Got to love those Carlo Rossi wine jugs!

If I ever did a 1 gallon batch, it would have to be an extract brew. no way could I put the time, effort, an money into an all grain batch that would only yield me a gallon.

I am at some point going to try ferment a 5 gallon batch in 5 1gal jugs to experiment. Makes for quicker experimenting with yeasts and temps.

I will have over 50 batches of 1 gallon brews done this year after fathers day. LOVE 1 gallon. Easy to manage, plenty of room, and the experimentation has made me grow leaps and bounds this year as a brewer.

I've even got the go ahead to get whatever I need for 5 gallon batches from SWMBO but I doubt I will go above 3 gallons. I like stovetop brewing and not all experiments go as planned, I don't know what I would do if I ever ended up with close to 50 bottles of crappy beer.

Back