What's the most expensive beer you've seen or drank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I've seen and know the price, The End of History. I don't know the Utopias price off hand, but I wanna say the End of History was several hundred a bottle.

That I've actually paid for, $50 for a 750 of Rodenbach Grand Cru that had been cellared for maybe 5 years. Runners up are $85 for a Westy 12 brick, $40 for a 750 of Cantillon, or ~$15 for a 10oz pour of various hard-to-come-bys (at least around here, Cantillon, Russian River sours, etc).

I routinely pay $20 for 25.4 oz format bottles. seems to be the going price for most special releases :rolleyes: I wont buy any beer that has a higher than 1$/oz price point, though I've had utopia.

michael_mus said:
Unibroue La Fin du Monde $12.00 a bottle, but some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Do so regularly in fact.

That's $7 here in Ga! My go to cheap Belgian. Very good

It's not really an exotic beer or hard to find beer but a $18 bottle of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale.

Very smokey with a sweet finish. Fortunately I love smokey flavors (my only hobby in front of brewing is BBQing) and it has bacon in it... I know smokey beer is an acquired taste but come on guys it has bacon in it haha.

$75 for a 15 year old bottle of Westy 12. It is now 17 years old and still cellaring in my basement.

with the look on the wifes face after 7.00 a bottle for this years hopslam, I couldn't imagine paying the prices some of y'all have...

I also paid about $25 for a bottle of Founder's Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barleywine. It was pretty delicious IMO. Although there was a lot of hype about it.

I also paid about $25 for a bottle of Founder's Bolt Cutter 15th Anniversary Barleywine. It was pretty delicious IMO. Although there was a lot of hype about it.

It was really sweet at first. We cracked open a bottle for New Year's Eve, and it was much better. I think this one needs some aging. I actually got to talk to Dave Engbers when our museum had a beer school. He said they tucked away several of them to re-release for their 25th anniversary.

lots of hype around brew dog at the moment. i've had one of their offerings and it was pretty good, but very expensive for only a 4 pack. however, i always buy the big corked bottles when i purchase commercial beers so i'm used to paying out the arse for some of the finer things in life. have yet to try the sink the bismarck, but honestly, at that abv, i think i would rather have some jameson or a higher quality whiskey.

The beer is absolutely unbelievable, it's not about the alcohol content since it is thick and so complexly flavoured that you can't help but sip it very slowly and enjoy the taste. Some friends and I split a bottle at a bar once (160$ CAD total, so 40 each) which I admit is rather exuberant but the mouth feel was like molasses and it tasted of dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs) and toffee/caramel/molasses to round it off with a nice biscuity finish. It's neither too hopped or overly malty and honestly doesn't reveal its 41% but still has a nice subtle boozy taste. It is way more flavourful than any scotch I've had (my favourites being scapa 16, ardbeg, dalwhinie, macallan 12) and not even on the same level, if you feel like drinking a whiskey than drink whiskey (I personally recommend Tullamore Dew over Jameson's for Irish whiskey unless you're drinking the higher level Jameson's, price is similar but the few dollars more are IMO worth it) but I really don't feel you can lump the Bismark in with high ABV spirits since they are birds of completely different feathers.

To answer the thread, 160$ CAD for this is at the top followed by 120$ CAD for the Nuclear Tactical Penguin (which was unfortunately skunked and the bar wouldn't refund) and then the Westvletern 12 for 80$/six pack.

90 on a super Magnum of Epic Vertical from Stone

I was just in the liquor store last weekend and saw a 3L bottle of Vertical Epic 12.12.12. It was $105, so that's the most expensive bottle I can think of at the moment. Unfortunately, I didn't have a spare $100 on me at the time...

tikiwargod said:
The beer is absolutely unbelievable, it's not about the alcohol content since it is thick and so complexly flavoured that you can't help but sip it very slowly and enjoy the taste. Some friends and I split a bottle at a bar once (160$ CAD total, so 40 each) which I admit is rather exuberant but the mouth feel was like molasses and it tasted of dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs) and toffee/caramel/molasses to round it off with a nice biscuity finish. It's neither too hopped or overly malty and honestly doesn't reveal its 41% but still has a nice subtle boozy taste. It is way more flavourful than any scotch I've had (my favourites being scapa 16, ardbeg, dalwhinie, macallan 12) and not even on the same level, if you feel like drinking a whiskey than drink whiskey (I personally recommend Tullamore Dew over Jameson's for Irish whiskey unless you're drinking the higher level Jameson's, price is similar but the few dollars more are IMO worth it) but I really don't feel you can lump the Bismark in with high ABV spirits since they are birds of completely different feathers.

To answer the thread, 160$ CAD for this is at the top followed by 120$ CAD for the Nuclear Tactical Penguin (which was unfortunately skunked and the bar wouldn't refund) and then the Westvletern 12 for 80$/six pack.

Jaysus lads the penguin seems very expensive over there, it costs me to stock €42 (about $50)

Most expensive beer I've tasted? Utopias.

Most expensive beer purchase I've made? $85 brick of Westy. But that was split between myself and another guy.

Most expensive per-ounce beer I've bought at a store? $38 for a 750 of Angel's Share back in 2009.

I was just in the liquor store last weekend and saw a 3L bottle of Vertical Epic 12.12.12. It was $105, so that's the most expensive bottle I can think of at the moment. Unfortunately, I didn't have a spare $100 on me at the time...

I have a 750 (or 22 oz, similar size and it's... over... there...) of it. Great beer, but not sure I'd pay $105 for it.

*Even for 3L of it, I should say.

Perhaps coming of age in Boston messed me up, but I wasn't shocked to see a beer for $8 or $9 at a bar, so a bottle of Westy 12 in Brussels that set me back 10 euro was a bargain.

Most expensive? Prices here are so out of wack, but I paid a pretty penny for an older Cantillon.

My first bottle of homebrew set me back about $350.

I can relate! My first keg of brew cost me way over $2grand! Had to start with all grain or nothing. And a kegging system/kegerator.

Took a year to get the set up. And ended up buying a bunch of stuff that I ended up not needing.

pb

Allagash releases some of their aged curioux locally every year, you pay $14 for a 18 month then it goes up from there I've seen 4 year beer go for $55 for a bomber.

It's a lovely beer, and it does age exceptionally well in the bottle. I have some in my cellar now from 2010, letting it do its thing for a while is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it aged by them.

I once sold a 750 ml bottle of beer for $200. To be fair, it was one of those spectacularly rare, delicious beers that people go nuts over.

We had one of those rare super high ABV BrewDog beers a year or two ago when we were out bar-hopping one night. A group of friends decided to split the cost and we all got a taster of it, which was more than enough IMO.

Had Utopias 3 times, dumped all 3

Most expensive beer I've purchased was Deus at $35 a bottle - totally worth it everytime

The beer is absolutely unbelievable, it's not about the alcohol content since it is thick and so complexly flavoured that you can't help but sip it very slowly and enjoy the taste. Some friends and I split a bottle at a bar once (160$ CAD total, so 40 each) which I admit is rather exuberant but the mouth feel was like molasses and it tasted of dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs) and toffee/caramel/molasses to round it off with a nice biscuity finish....

MAN! That's a very enticing and amazingly detailed description of that beer! That's good enough to go put together a recipe from. kudos!

Most valuable beer I ever drank was probably Cantillion Loerik. I'm sure the year 1 Dark Lord we drank recently was worth a bunch, too.

Most I've paid for a beer was around $45 for Stille Nacht Reserva. Now I'm really pissed I didn't buy both of them, but at the time I couldn't get myself to do it. Most expensive I've seen at bars/stores some 9l or other giant bottle for $200. Some of those Italian craft beers are $30 for a 375, about the same for 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend.

Should we add the caveat about...was it worth it???
Almost half the people have mentioned Utopias. Is it worth the price?

Weezy said:

If it has been drank then yes "Was it worth it"

I got a 2oz sample glass of it at a bar for $25. It's worth it to say you've tried it as it's very different. You have to like sherry or port I'd say, it's not really beer IMHO. I would be upset if I spent the money to buy a bottle, I'm glad I tried it, I would not try it again though at that price. I can find other exciting or new beers to spend money on.

I would say if you got a group of people together, and each pitched in $20 to try it, that is the way to do it.

If somebody handed me a glass of it and didn't tell me what it was I'd think it was some crazy kind of barley wine, port, mead, or strange wine. It's neat.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the 2.5oz pour of Utopias at my local WF..
If I get to charge for my time, the Pliny the Younger cost me about $300 for 10oz

image-321523924.jpg

About $30 for a bottle of BFM sour. I thought it was great; my wife loved it! If we weren't saving money, I think she'd have one every Friday!

tcw5028 said:
It's not really an exotic beer or hard to find beer but a $18 bottle of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale.

Very smokey with a sweet finish. Fortunately I love smokey flavors (my only hobby in front of brewing is BBQing) and it has bacon in it... I know smokey beer is an acquired taste but come on guys it has bacon in it haha.

My best friend gave me a bottle of that and a bottle of DFH 75 min for christmas. It was delicious!

My best friend gave me a bottle of that and a bottle of DFH 75 min for christmas. It was delicious!

Y'all are insane. That Maple Bacon thing was disgusting. The beers i listed were probably worth it. But if i actually bought a bottle of that Maple Bacon monstrosity i would have been PISSED (and not in the drunk sense)

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the 2.5oz pour of Utopias at my local WF..
If I get to charge for my time, the Pliny the Younger cost me about $300 for 10oz

I'd rather have three beers full pours off that list than 2oz of Utopia, but that's just me.

Worth the price is always going to be a subjective judgement. I think Utopias is a very good beer. Is it worth the price? depends on who's paying! The 74 year old Ballantine Burton ale I tried was not really good as a beer as we think of it, but it was very interesting to see how it had changed over that time. Was it worth it as a learning and historical experience? I think so, but I wasn't the one who paid for the bottle.

Back