What's the culture at this site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyInOregon

Reaction score
I'm new here and I was wondering about a couple of things.

Is it preferable here to try to find an old thread to reply to, on the subject you are thinking about, or to let the old threads die and start a new one on a similar subject?

Most of you have made some homebrew, right? I have.

Also, I think it's not so important to replicate a certain style of beer or cider or whatever. I have looked a lot at the BeerAdvocate site and I think it's great. One thing I don't like so much is that the ratings are made in comparison to a particular style. Why would you rate an excellent beer as anything else, just because it doesn't exactly conform to a particular style?

Deep thoughts huh? Haha

Is it preferable here to try to find an old thread to reply to, on the subject you are thinking about, or to let the old threads die and start a new one on a similar subject?
Don't worry about it, everyone is pretty chill, whether you've just resurrected the zombie-thread-from-hades, or asked the most newb question for the 20th time this week.

Most of you have made some homebrew, right? I have.
I lurked and made quite a few posts before attempting my first beer.

Also, I think it's not so important to replicate a certain style of beer or cider or whatever. I have looked a lot at the BeerAdvocate site and I think it's great. One thing I don't like so much is that the ratings are made in comparison to a particular style. Why would you rate an excellent beer as anything else, just because it doesn't exactly conform to a particular style?
Because people's preferences differ?

just don't expect the OP to respond....

asked the most newb question for the 20th time this week.
it's actually part of our charter...i especially like explaining that ethanol effects refractometer readings! ;) (because i learned it here and use it all the time now! pay it forward)

Culture? This place?

HEY!i i got cultures! :mug:

HBT is one of the most cultured discussion boards on the interwebz, to my amazement.
After it, even the Pipesmagazine's Pipe Smoking Forum (which is a pretty refined place in comparison to others) feels a bit ruffianesque.

And here... I don't know... It's like entering the Vienna Opera. Most of the times I log in here I throw on a tailcoat onto my shoulders.

ruffianesque.

hey, wait...i googled that, that's not a real word! lol :mug:

butt, i'd imagine we aren't ruffians because we're the least degraded class of drug users, homebrewers... even the pipe smokers are Camel/Marlboro/Benson fans.... ;)

I'm new here and I was wondering about a couple of things.
Welcome to HBT!
Do as you please, within reason.
IMO the most interesting posts are what you are brewing, if you like or didn't like how the beer came out and what you are going to try to tweak next time.
No it may not be important to exactly replicate a certain beer, but having guideline gives you something to aim for.
I've had fun brewing clones and then doing a side by side taste test with the real thing, then making some adjustments to suit my likes/dislikes.
Note that some popular commercial (craft) beers don't fit in to established beer categories, or when they first came out they didn't fit a category but are accepted now.
Winging it and making up your own recipes is fun as well, but you have to take the good with the bad and sometimes accept that you created a beer that has to be dumped.
:mug:

IMO the most interesting posts are what you are brewing,

damn, "brewing"...i thought this was a word game site....i'll bow out....

edit: once you learn to brew here, really all there is to do, is post pics of your drinks and listen to the radio.....

edit #2: that's not totally acurate you can post random drunken thoughts....well anyway the real fun is in these...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/general-chit-chat.19/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/drunken-ramblings-mindless-mumbling.45/
homebrewers just hanging out with each other....

Last edited:
hey, wait...i googled that, that's not a real word! lol :mug:

butt, i'd imagine we aren't ruffians because we're the least degraded class of drug users, homebrewers... even the pipe smokers are Camel/Marlboro/Benson fans.... ;)
No home cultured tobacco there?

The culture is S. Cerevisiae in most cases. Sometimes someone gets a little crazy and brings in B. Bruxellensis.

I always get a giggle when someone revives a 10+-year-old thread without realizing the necromancy involved, but it's all good.

As for brewing to style, it's helpful to be able to slap a label on something that other people will understand. If you decide to have a schwarzbier because you want something easy-drinking and lower ABV, you might not be happy if I hand you something that's more of a Baltic porter. If you get into submitting beers to competitions, you'll get judged against style, because they want to judge you on something objective, and pure hedonistic enjoyment is as subjective as it gets.

There are a few beers I would love to be able to clone (Duvel, for example), but that's because I have no idea how to get the taste profile, and I know I'd be a better brewer if I could figure it out.

If you start a new subject, you will get new answers. Sometimes those new answers will include links to old threads that have lasting value.

Thanks all for the introduction to the culture here. Cool site👍

Do any of you actually grow your own tobacco? It's raunchy when it's green 😄

Do any of you actually grow your own tobacco? It's raunchy when it's green 😄

100_0369.JPG
100_0380.JPG
100_0366.JPG
100_0367.JPG

kinda out of order but someone, mainly me does....

edit: and honestly chewing fresh green leaves is better then the septic flavor a chewing cured tobacco! :mug:

Yeah I am. When I was 18 in NJ, cigs were 60 cents a pack. I just notched 6 decades

well, i'm clicking the ticker to 50....but there's lots of old geezers around here, lol...you'd think it'd be a bunch of broke college students, or at least i did.... :mug:

Us geezers on social security too . . .

Just kidding, I'm not retiring for a while. I'm working at HP as a technician.

Back